Tre

Farmers Tournament Battle Report

I played in a 14 person tournament today playing the farmers. For my line up i brought Thresh, Grange, both mascots, Tater, millstone, jackstraw, harrow, fallow, grace. My goal was to test out my Grange list, but the field being heavily skewed with 4 brewers, 4 farmers, and 2 Masons... that didn’t end up happening and I played the same 6 models every round. Thresher, Peck, Tater, Millstone, Harrow, and Jack. 

Round 1 I played against a less experienced masons player. He won the roll and chose to Kick, which made me default into Thresher. Grange doesn’t mind kicking if he chose hammer as his captain. Typically masons choose honour into farmers which was the case here. His line up consisted of Honour, monkey, flint, oHarmony, mist, mallet. Not picking Brick was a weird option, but as the Thresher playing im okay not seeing the double counter charges, but he has never played against thresher before so the match up is a new one.

I kicked with thresh, to a spot where mist would have to come forward. The ball gets passed around and ends up on oHarmony. I set up fort thresher ready to strike. With sup strat up harmony walked into threshers threat range by accident. I kill harmony and tackle the ball. Thresher legendaries and i get a 6 point activation taking out honour. Flint scores a snapback goal to not get shut out. I set up to get to kill mist start of next turn, which happens 12-4 for the Farmers. Mistakes were made by the masons early, but i don’t think that the out come would be much different. 

Round 2 i played into Blacksmiths. Again I lost the roll and was told to kick... So thresher came out. Grange doesn’t like the ‘smiths match up, so im not heartbroken picking Thresher again. My lineup was the same, his was Captain Ferrite, Hearth, Farris, bolt, alloy and Iron.

I kick with thresher and skewed out right on deployment because of a large rough terrain on the left and fast ground on the right. The smiths match this deployment. I have the perfect kick scatter so alloy has to overextend to get the ball. I set up fort thresher, he scores a turn one goal with bolt who gets a vengeance token for his trouble. Thresher charges ferrite and sets up for a big turn 2. Next turn thresh goes first, kills ferrite, farris, and has iron set up, then scores a goal 8-4. Alloy goes for a snapback and misses his goal run. Tater took out bolt. Things get messy for the next few turns where i fail a couple kills, and thresher gets ganged up on. Eventually thresher gets taken out, where he comes back on and takes out iron for the game. 12-6 Farmers

Round 3 I played against brewers, and one of my main practice opponents. Before the round started we chirped each other about which captain would kill the other first, so I played my Thresh, he brought Tapper, cat, lucky, hooper, spigs, friday. Ironically no one drew man marking in the plot cards.

I chose to kick so i could get the side with a wall, symmetrical fast terrains on the wings meant things could get crazy. I start to form fort Thresher, but a tooled up tapper takes a dodge off a pass and charges thresher. Minimum damage was done, and thresher takes out taps for his troubles. Friday scores a goal. Turn two thresher and tater take out lucky and spigot, the ball gets taken from me however and bounced out to friday. Turn three friday scores and i do a whole lot of nothing. Tater kills the cat first thing of the new turn. The game is down to the wire since i let that second goal in. I need 5 points and he needs a goal. Lucky came on and is an inch out of goal threat between raising the stakes, fast ground an picking up the ball for a goal. Tapper and hooper slammed into harrow. I need a goal and a kill and he needs two kills which he has line up. He won roll off and brought spigot to come kill thresher which was a huge mistake. He charges in, i brace for impact and counter attack. Spigot rolls a knockdown, which millstone takes. Thresher knocks down spigot and dodges out of threat range. Jackstraw gets the ball to thresher who dodges out of threat range from anyone to oppose him. Harrow got deleted by hooper. Thresher killed spigot and scored a tap in winner. 12-10, i lost a lot of steam halfway through this game and that second goal the brewers scored kept me on my toes. If he never game me spigot like he did i would have struggled to get those last 5 points a but more. 

Round 4, i made it to the finals playing the six, so i stuck with my six again, playing against a great masons players. This is a match up we have both practiced a tonne, and i know how his strategy will play out. He brings honour, monkey, brick, mallet, tower, flint.

I chose to kick winning the roll off, thresher again got an amazing scatter landing just past the midline with rough terrain between the ball and the nearest mason. I set up fort thresher and take the ball for myself getting a couple momentum. He sets up a mallet missile, triggering taters counter charge, who triggered brick and marbles counter charge. Marbles pushes tater out of engagement with mallet, but out of charge range if brick, who sprints into engagement with thresher since he could not perform a legal charge anymore. Mallet does about half of threshers damage boxes but chose non momentous results. Thresher kd’s brick, throws a a they aint tough on mallet, then takes mallet down to 3 boxes. I won initiative roll and thresher activates, legendaries on everything. Takes out marbles, mallet, sets up they aint tough on honour and brick, then scores a goal. Flint gets sup strat then scores to avoid being shut out. Brick got taken out with the combined efforts of my team. I got first activation again, thresher took out honour, set up tower to die to tater, but with style tater spanked the monkey instead. 12-4

I ended up winning the event 4-0. I played against 4 great people. The spread of guilds made for a Thresher dream. Playing against Thresher for some guild is extremely uphill fight, and the way the the guild spread was today was very favourable for my farmers.

Very nice, well done!

We had a Thresher team win in Norwich this weekend as well. 5/12 teams were Farmers and they came 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th & 9th. The two outliers at the bottom were me at 9, as I decided not to take Thresher as I wanted a more relaxed play-for-fun event for myself, and Lee at 8 - Lee hasn't played for about 2 years and bought both Farmers boxes on the day.

Congrats on the win!  Another Farmers (Thresher only) player won our small 6 person tournament, though the final match vs Smoke Alchemists could have gone either way.