Varred

Help me for I will commit butchery on meself

Okay guys and gals!!! 

I finały came up with courage to post my blue thoughts here. 

I have a problem, I won't play minis i dont like. That kinda narrows the perspective of choosing a Guild. Some time ago i decided Butchers. Good minis, simple plan. Kill everyone and anyone on the pitch. 

Now the problem is, simple plan doesnt mean easy or succesful. My record since i am back to the game in S3 is 2-17, maybe more. And those 2 wins were against Morts and Thresher (cant win any more with the guy that plays him so i say lucky) and thats it. 

Can you, the marvelous community help me acheive something with our Glorious Supreme Masters Butchers? Or simply git gud and wait for another season? 

Are there any particularly good plays I am missing? Something borderline OP i am just to stupid to understand? And i dont want Butchers to be OP, i want to have a short at winning :(

P. S. For the record, my community has 2x Fish, 2x Union, Thresher, Morts, Brewers and me. 

Cheers 

Varred

Butcher's are in a really tough spot right now.  Just about every one will place them in the bottom one or two in terms of power level. That said, what are the specific problems you are having?

While they may be considered "in a bad place" i still find they are one of the more successful teams in my local meta. They were my first guild and I have managed to practice enough against all other guilds that I compete with them and beat them regularly (including the guy that came 2nd at worlds recently, and just took Ox Butchers to Cancon).

It may be that you need to change your gameplan a bit (especially if it is not working out). Start thinking football. take some of the players you wouldn't normally take because they are quicker or better at balling. GB is a whole heap of trial and error. I am lucky in that we have a smallish group of players here so if I make a game losing mistake I know I'll get the chance to course correct next time. I switched to Hunters when they came out and was absolutely terrible with them after being great with Butchers for 1.5 seasons. Now they are my go to Guild, but when I jump back on the butchers train I find it a lot easier to find goals and shut down opponents etc.

What you need to do possibly is start putting the fear of the one turn TO into them, get them scared of Fillet or Ox (not sure who you tend to go with) use your Defensive abilities on Ox and Boiler etc. I find with Butchers, a lot of the benefit comes from perceived threat from one player or another. I have kept players in the wrong spot on the field solely because they didn't want to get near Boar.

If you want a wee trick to try that can really screw with your opponents head. Take Ox, Fillet and Meathook in a team. Kick off with brisket on the line straight ahead, doesn't really matter where it goes. Stack Fillet with 4 inf, give ox 2-4inf and meathook 1. During the course of your turn they are going to expect you to go at the ball with Brisket. Instead tool her up with meathook (by now they may expect a couple of 2dmg dirty knives), Sprint ox up 8" and if you can get Butchery out on the player nearest Brisket (should be who they sent to get the ball). Charge Brisket into the player (keeping within 4" of Ox) and you should be able to put a fair whack of damage onto them. You'll be doing 3 on 1 hit or mom 4 on two. You should also end the turn on 3 Mom and have ball threat with Brisket and kill threat with Ox. Someone did this to me the other day and took Gutter out top of turn 2. I was so rattled that I hadn't seen it I was put off the rest of my game. (note also works with vBrisket as they generally assume you are going to go on a goal run).

Alternatively try Using Fillet as a set up peice. Give her 4 and use 2 to drop a bleed AOE and 2 to give Boar extra speed, combined with a 2" dodge from vBrisket and he has a 12" threat on the charge and likely to net you 4 Mom.

If you had a little more info on the players you were using etc we might be able to give you a few more pointers

1 hour ago, masterkdog said:

Take Ox, Fillet and Meathook in a team

2 captains in your 6 is what I call a trick :)

OK, so thanks all for the back up.
I know that Butchers are seen as in a bad spot right now, but i see every now and then that someone wins with them on a regular basis. 

I'd like to achieve the same in some time. 
I have thought about OBrisket with dirty knives doing 3 dmg a piece, but it is a one trick pony and gone then i think now.

My 10 for the upcoming tourny is:

Ox, Fillet, Meathook, VBrisket, VOx, Boar, Boiler, Tenderiser, Princess and Truffles.

I don't want to use Union for obvious reasons, and i think most Times i pick those sixes:

Ox, VBrisket, Boar, Meathook, Boiler, Princess

Fillet, VBrisket, VOx, Meathook, Tenderiser, Truffles (if i play a beaty team i switch Tenderiser for Boiler and sometimes take Princess instead of the swine)

The problem i seem to have is either i dont get to set things up and lose goals/die quickly (vs. Theresher/Shark/Smoke) or I set things up all good, go up to 8VP and stand in the middle like an ass trying to get that last 4VP (vs. Hammer/Honour/Corsair/Union)

Thanks for your suggestions @masterkdog, will try them and i suppose u mean Ox, OBrisket, Meathook in that trick to weather a player.

Thanks and waiting for additional info!

Cheers

Varred

1 hour ago, angyi said:

2 captains in your 6 is what I call a trick :)

Aha whoops meant oBrisket...

Also if you are struggling against goal scoring teams after getting a few take outs. Quicker players like Shank and Minx work a treat. They are very able to get in get the ball and either get out or shift the ball on. My recent 6 have become Ox, Brisket (either one), Truffles, Boar, Minx and Shank. In prep for not having any union I have started using Meathook a bit more. If I run Fillet I tend to run Truffles, Boar, oBrisket, Minx, and the last spot will go to either vOx/Shank/meathook (depends who i am up against). I find having 2 furious models with a bit of flex (minxs dodges and snare etc) as well as a vindictive pig means I generally have plenty of influence to go big with other players and still have board presence.

49 minutes ago, Varred said:

My 10 for the upcoming tourny is:

Ox, Fillet, Meathook, VBrisket, VOx, Boar, Boiler, Tenderiser, Princess and Truffles.

I don't want to use Union for obvious reasons, and i think most Times i pick those sixes:

Ox, VBrisket, Boar, Meathook, Boiler, Princess

Fillet, VBrisket, VOx, Meathook, Tenderiser, Truffles (if i play a beaty team i switch Tenderiser for Boiler and sometimes take Princess instead of the swine)

In my opinion the first 6 lacks any pressure on the ball, also can't move or hide the ball very well. (The only model in this department would be vBrisket, but she is probably too busy quick timing your other models so that's it.) I'd try to swap Boiler for Shank, and see if he can speed things up.

In your 10, I'd let vOx fall to make room for Shank. That wouldn't hurt your second 6 either, because Fillet, Princess, vBrisket, Meathook, Shank, Tenderiser look so much better :) That's as close to an all-comer butchers' team as I can imagine. Fast, reasonably hitty, not too easy to play around.

I see you don't have any Farmers in your meta. You should talk to this guy: http://longshanks.org/players/?player=1364

He can win with everything against anything, as long as it's not against Thresher. See his latest tournament run with Butchers, probably using the same 6 models every round 'cause he thought the sculpts were pretty. The hero we need in these turbulent times.

@JS Can confirm he only had 6 models painted (plus his union decimate) on Thursday night when we duked it out (one bloody initiative role lost it for me too!).

He is also the a hole that took out my decimate with the above mentioned tooled up Brisket off the kick off.

Will have to see who can out Ox who later this week...

Shanks speed will help.  Also don’t think you need to be blobbing up.  You do need a good core in the centre of 3 models but use ‘sweepers’ to keep an eye on sneaky strikers and Tenderiser offers you a dead activation while making it hard for people to score.

thia then means your solid 4 players in the centre can eat up all the influence and get business done.  Shank can dip in and out with his speed and to pressure ball carriers.

i think learning where to choose your fights is massive for Butchers and how I found a good place when I was playing them :)

Thanks all for suggestions. I will take some of them into consideration for sure, but i am an Ass in a way that i am pretty stubborn in some things and shank just misses a spot in my 10 model roster. Currently i have OBrisket and Shank outside 10 and if i change that it's probably for OBrisket. 

I play more frequently now as i am relearing the game and I see that what @Strahleo said is essentially true. Also true on real life, as it goes:

'Don't pick a fight you cannot win' - i think the most important rule of playing Butchers for me now :D We hit hard and fast, but if we can't straight up win a fight, we will lose it in the long run. 

Thanks all again, I am gieven a 'New Hope' to say so. (had to do it, crazy Star Wars fan here :P)

Cheers

Varred

Great to hear.  I was playing Ox since it was just paper and I tell you what nothing really stood in his way.  Tapper was scary back in the day and you had to time it right but I used to just blender everything.

then I hit V.Rage and man I still find it difficult not to blow up and fight, but if you can pull that team apart your guys tend to be better killers in hitting quick then backing off.  But it’s a step learning curve some time.

keep at it and don’t be shy to try something a bit whacky sometime. Also if your using Boar a lot - just remember passing the ball to him and then using a 4’ dodge for Boar can shock an opponent who keeps out of his range.  It’s won me a couple of games when people don’t see it coming!

fight hard buddy!!