Sign in to follow this  
S7ewie

Painting - Need Advice

I decided to have a go at painting Ornstein and Smough today. I used to paint miniatures when I was younger, was never that good at it though. Its been a long time since I've done any but I figured, as they're pretty much just one colour they can't be too bad. This is what I ended up with. I'm pretty happy with them :) (I'll sort the bases at some point).

2zi56zd.jpg

2ntcq69.jpg

Next I plan on doing the Titanite Demon because, once again, its practically just one colour. Then the Winged Knight because its just silver armour and a blue cloth so hopefully that should be fairly straight forward too.

I need some help with the Gargoyle though. I really like the Oxidised Copper (Nihilakh Oxide) look for the metal that people are going with but I'm stuck on how I'm going to do the fleshy area. I'd like to stick close to the game where I can and people have made some great looking brown/flesh/earthy colours for that but i really don't know where to begin and how the best way to achieve that would be. So I need some advice, preferably using Citadel paints. 

Dancer and Outrider I've no idea how I'm going to do. I don't have the skill to make that veil on the dancer look right and the Outrider armour is actually just silver.. Its the frosty effects and bluish glow that set it apart so i might leave those two out for now. Then it's time to focus on the minions :)

But any advice, particularity on the gargoyle would be much appreciated :) 

Thanks 

Hadn’t spotted this, they look good - you’re clearly getting your eye back in quickly!

I’m not much help with skin, I don’t actually have a recipe so much as a pile of paints I mix and layer until it looks right. Not very good for helping others really...

Might be worth asking in the display cabinet area, there’s usually painters of all kinds roaming about in there (don’t be put off by the piles of guild ball stuff, I keep hoping for more dark souls stuff to show up :) ). I can move this thread across if you like, or you could start a thread in there to ask folks for advice.

Either way, keep posting your painted stuff, it’s good to see the set getting painted!

Thanks guys! I'm quite proud of them so far!

I think I'll start a new thread over there and leave this one here as a bit of a blog where I'll post the others as I finish painting them :D

Hey there! Maybe I can help you with your skin dilemma.i did a little digging online to look at some in game pics and I think I have an idea.

i would do a mix of ratskin flesh and dryad bark . The goal to take the ratskin flesh down about quarter step in just how "orangey" it is. Then dry brush with the previous mix with a little ushabti bone. Focusing more on the upper edges. Don't go to bright here. Finally shed the skin with seraphim sepia. This will bring the colors back together and bring out some of the orange values that were lost with the dry brushing. This is all theory here. Not having model in hand after all but I think should work.:D

ps. If you're nervous about the wash you can apply it sparringly mixed with water. It's always easier in painting to add more than to take away less.haha

good luck!

Haven't posted in a while as I've been pretty busy. Recieved Artorias the other day so that got me back in the mood, looking forward to seeing people tackling that set. Been wanting to do the Gargoyle for a while so decided to give it a go. I struggle with flesh compared to armour, I never seem to get the shades quite right but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. I love the look of the copper patina paint, thought I might have over done it a bit. All in all I'm relatively happy :)

XPepooTfb8cUKiKIZv1p5c6bLXeXWCbmxp0AACSK

kJPbmTCvmjlRHrhBJ7JktHfOQZ-sX1i3w6z6qBIU