Sign in to follow this  
skcpae

First Tournament with Cogs...

... and I'm very apprehensive about this now.

With the new year, I've resolved to try a new Guild and transitions from Fish to Engineers. Not a HUGE transition likely, but where I find Fishermen are "hook, line and sink'er", I haven't gotten the click with the Engineers yet to really be a threat. However... leaving the Fish at home & travelling with the Cogs so I can't chicken out now.

I don't know if it's just bad dice or just inconsistent planning in my game plans, but so far, my record is a not very sterling 1-6 this year; 1-3 vs Fish, 0-1 vs Masons and 0-2 vs Butchers. 

My 10 man lineup is shaping up to be Ballista, PinVice, Mother, Colossus, Compound, Hoist, Ratchet, Salvo, Velocity and either Decimate or Mainspring... leaning Decimate right now.

Any last minute advice or thoughts on the eve of the first event of the year?

Don't try to play like Fish with them.  They are good at football but don't have showboats.  The team works best with all the parts working together. If you need an alternative striker with good melee use Decimate.  I love Mainspring into Butchers, though. A 1 influence battery with a 3/8 kick (pass) for free. Good for PV's legendary turn and park him 4" from the goal as a snap shot turret.

How did it go?

I'm also coming from Fish and trying to learn Engineers. So far I've found it harder to score but the momentous tackles and 4 die kicks have served me well and isn't really something I'm used to from Fish.

Also Deadbolt is nice but I've found having Ballista in melee to be better. He just needs a little setup like Tooled up or a crowd out.

It...uh, did not go well.

Lost my first game 12-8 to some crappy dice against the local pundit. Even he seemed to be feeling bad by the end of the game. He played Blacksmiths.

Lost my second game to Brewers in what I would describe as one of my worst games since I first learned to play the game.

Won my third game against another Brewers player and my fourth game against Masons was a draw, as opponent and I agreed to call it so the store could close on time. ;) 

So I spent Sunday and Monday thinking over what I've been doing the last month - throughout January, 2-8-1 (W-L-T) trying to learn this team. I don't know if that's a good enough sample size or if I keep plugging through this. I'm not sure I can use crappy dice as a fair indication of how well I do with the team. It's a whole state of confusion for me right now and I admit, I'm feeling a little bummed out. I'm stubborn enough that I don't want to GIVE UP and I'd rather switch teams on my own, comfortable terms... I just don't know. :) 

Hang in there, it gets better!  :)

My Engineers are due in from BTP, next week and then they will become my primary team for the first half of this year.  My plan is to continue to play them until I get better with them.  I only have a couple of games with them,.  My buddy plays them, and he always does really well with them.  When he plays them, he always makes it look really easy.  The Engineers have a lot of good tools, and I think they are in a good spot in the meta.

You can/should run the gun line (hoist/ratchet/balista) then go for goals with velocity. Mother is really the only mascot to take; low tackle, good abilities, true rep compatable.

I like compound but he's Opponent list specific. shark/Midas/mist will have the movement and dodge to deal with rush keeper.

i think your Union options can be more "fight" based since you are going to have a bunch of solid strikers anyway. Decimate is good, but not really what you'd need.

-A&G are solid midfeild beaters (if a little slow)

-Harry is still solid for a few molotov's to slow people down and decent fighter.

-rage is opponent specific, but solid return on investment.