Sign in to follow this  
dire_kobold

Gun line strategy

So I'm looking for some tactical advice on how to play a gun line, specifically after turn 1. 

My normal setup is either captain (ballista if receiving, pin vice if kicking), mother, ratchet, hoist, and 2 flex picks.

Turn 1, I'll launch tooled up/deletion blast earths and possibly a deadbolt down range, dealing damage/gaining momentum, while positioning someone (normally colossus and/or velocity) on either flank for goal threat.  I'm also looking for an opening with either captain to make a first turn goal (either through Ballista's breach or Pin Vice doing her thing).

Then on turn 2 (or sometimes 3, if I play way back and cagey), the gun line players end up in the scrum, and generally stay there until they get taken out.  For reference, my normal opponents play Farmers, Masons, and Hunters.  Against Hunters, I've been able to barely fight through, but no such luck with the other two. 

So I ask, how do you folks play your gun lines?  Especially in the later turns, how and what do you pivot to?  What opportunities/weakness do you look for in your opponents lineups?  Also, what other setups/strategies would you use? (I've tried to experiment, but always end up back with a gun line due to the consistency I get on turn 1).

*wall of text warning*

Generally it's ill advised to use either captain for goal scoring on turn one, they do much more getting the 2nd goal/getting us to 8 points. This is due to the fact that the legendaries are considered a free goal to take whenever, so using it on turn one when receiving which in 80% of games you can get the goal with any other striker isn't a good use of the resource. Pin vice kicking is fine, but consider ballista if your initial plan is a gun line, not having the ball isn't an issue when you have momentous inspiration.

Good strikers for scoring turn one when receiving include Mother, Hoist(with mother), Velocity, Pin Vice(without legendary), Salvo(with knee slider since he is squishy). Any other model "could" score if you have Pin Vice, but that involves either alternator or her legendary, maybe heroic if non-mechanica, and possibly controller to stop counterplay.

As for tips for the gunline itself? Just make sure you wont get engaged until well into turn 2. This isn't possible against most teams, especially farmers unless they run grange.

Something to consider, Use Compound to deny threat if you are trying to be cagey. Even 2 inch melee models cant go after your guys if they are 2 inches deep in his CC zone. This doesn't work against Morts due to shenanigans unless they dont take BPM.

We have a really good matchup into hunters IMO. The best strategy I have come up with is to just go all striker all the time. Theron can only shut down one, maybe two strikers. We can have a team of 5-6 strikers if we want. They have no ball killing, just opponent control tactics. We punish them hard if they cant score after any time we score. Even if they score first. Ballista is always the captain of choice into them kick or receive, deadbolting whoever has the ball or theron if he has no momentum to stand him up.

Note: Something to keep in mind when going all strikers. Generally best to do when receiving. Generate a mom with a pass, then pass to velocity and dodge her up or deadbolt theron. If deadbolt hits easy game easy life. If it misses, dodging her up sooner forces theron to activate next or give you a chance to score. If Theron hits pinned/snipe then pass to a different striker and dodge that one up and score with that one. When kicking the Gunline Strategy works wonders against hunters. Between tough hide and reanimate and mom inspiration, we force them to walk into us, which is what ballista loves. If they bring Egret, make it a point to never let two models get hit by one flurry.

Masons is tough to explain, I personally think Pin Vice is the captain of choice, so having her ber support on kickoff and just throwing blast earths for 2 turns straight seems ideal, but unsure about consistency. Receiving she is definitely better though. Masons have no ranged game, so threatening a goal while loading pin vice up and just waiting for a model to come close and deleting it with her is always the game plan. With the ball she outthreats all of their players all the time. They generally also take at least one or two squishy models that she can prey on for the whole game. Gun line works well until pin vice can do what she does best. Velocity is a must pick due to flint/harmony/hammer. T>> is way too good.

I'll get back to you on farmers, nothing is consistent. Thresher appears to be a bad matchup for us, so get lucky. Grange we can abuse with our >< models, so just go all scoring. Fallow cant do shenanigans if we don't deal damage. Pin vice is probably best into both, but don't quote me on that, I need more practice to say for sure. Gun line doesn't really do much due to harrow. Between that and the fact Thresher outthreats us with his tater CC zone and millstone fun time aura, deadbolt doesn't do much and at best after turn one we can put out 10-11 dmg at range. This is technically a lot of damage, but that's if they all hit and they sit there and take it. There's nothing stopping them from just walking away and setting up for turn two where they go second and use the free mom to easily walk through our barrage unscathed.

Velocity is a good staple into all 3 of these teams. Ratchet and Hoist can also get work done, although unsure about lineup into farmers as said before.

Compound does a lot against hunters and masons, not so much against farmers, but then again most of our players dont do much against farmers.

Colossus "can" do good against hunters, but he can easily become a free kill to jaecar+theron. Good pick into masons, strat dependant against farmers.

Salvo is good into hunters if you're going for the all striker lineup, otherwise pick any other player. Same into masons, unsure into farmers.

No locus or VVelocity. Sorry, they just arn't good enough.

Mother over mainspring.

On 26.01.2018 at 1:11 AM, blueboyzcaptain said:

Thresher appears to be a bad matchup for us, so get lucky. Grange we can abuse with our >< models, so just go all scoring. Fallow cant do shenanigans if we don't deal damage. Pin vice is probably best into both, but don't quote me on that, I need more practice to say for sure. Gun line doesn't really do much due to harrow. Between that and the fact Thresher outthreats us with his tater CC zone and millstone fun time aura, deadbolt doesn't do much and at best after turn one we can put out 10-11 dmg at range. This is technically a lot of damage, but that's if they all hit and they sit there and take it. There's nothing stopping them from just walking away and setting up for turn two where they go second and use the free mom to easily walk through our barrage unscathed.

I strongly disagree. I find Ballista the best captain to counter Thresher.

Farmers have no ranged game, so you can stall them for a turn or two. Use Locus. With that you can push Thresher from a distance and block his charge. Use the ball to dodge your players. You can walk to Thresher, push him with Destructive Impulse and then dodge to safety with a pass. Use Second Wind to lay Impulses and Deadbolts and then retreat.

Farmers are going to extend some players: Thresher - obviously, maybe Tater, Buckwheat and Jackstraw. Tooled Up Ballista kills anyone of them, especially if they are weakened by CPs. Just make sure your enemy cannot retaliate easily.