• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Ratatoskr

Gameplan deck

The next iteration of plot cards is apparently called a gameplan deck.  It's starting to pop up as a pre-order on online stores for April.  There's even a picture of some of the cards (though only one is fully spoiled).

From the previous thread on the topic...

"I had a chance to talk to a lot of the Steamforged guys at SteamCon US, and I think there's been some misinformation here to clarify.

1) The new initiative cards should be out at Adepticon 2018.  That's March 22nd, so they will be here soon.  I think, but am not sure, that they wanted them available to us before the are offical.  Given that, I don't think they will be considered "season" cards.  They could just make them part of the OPD.

2) The cards plus your momentum replace the dice roll.  If you are tied with your opponent after adding the card and your momentum, then you will roll off for turn order.  The second player will still get a point of momentum.

3) The cards also have an Influence modifier.  You might have a card that is +7 Initiative, but -3 Influence; exactly what you need when you can win the game on that first activation.  I don't know what the ranges for numbers are, but I suspect no more than 5 initiative and no more than 2 influence  (despite my example).

4) They did consider having each player have their own deck of cards, but they like the partial information granted by getting dealt 7 of the 18 cards, so you know for sure that your opponent doesn't have the 7 you saw, but there are 11 they could have.  As with everything, I think they are willing to listen if people are really vocal about it.  It will be annoying for a tournament organizer to have to have spare sets of cards if each player needs their own set, because you know people will forget them, and it also opens up a path for people to cheat (that wasn't something SF mentioned, it's just a problem I could see if someone was really invested in winning at all costs).

5) There has been a lot of playtesting of this set up internally.  I brought up the fact that someone way ahead in Momentum would be in a strong win-more position if they have a bunch of low initiative cards with strong effects, and they told me it was something they have worked with in playtest.  So far the balance has been really good, so I'm not too worried, personally.

6) If you run out of cards, you don't automatically lose (but why are you taking 5 rounds to win or lose?).  You'll either play your fifth card and take the previous 4 back to your hand for future rounds, or a full re-deal will happen (I'd much prefer a re-deal, it's a lot more interesting).  That said, you will be playing a card each turn, and the effects will be active for that round.  Having them face up where both players can see them should cut down on forgetting to use them.

Hopefully this was comprehensive enough, but if anyone has further questions, I didn't ask any of this stuff behind 'closed doors' so if I know something, I'm happy to share it.  As always, things can be changed (and I could be incorrect about some things), so don't go betting your life on this info."

9 hours ago, Ratatoskr said:

I'm not a Brit, but I understand it's a British term for a soldier.  So it's possibly a new term for non-captain, non-mascot player.

A platoon is also referred to as a squad. So a normal member is a squaddie.

Slightly less deprecatory than the US term “grunt” . This was the noise a platoon member made in Vietnam when he walked due to the weight of all the gear they carried.

48 minutes ago, Mako said:

And that’s how most things in biology got their official names :P

Ursus is latin for a bear while Arctos is Greek for a bear. A grizzly bear is Ursus Arctos Horribilis meaning basically a horrible bear bear. But a brown bear is Ursus Arctos Arctos so a bear bear bear. You can't essentially get anymore bear than that.

(Also note that Arctic is basically "the place with the bears" and Antarctic is "the place without any bears" - it's a fine way to define regions!)

Probably (although not definitely) the likely genesis of squaddie comes from the fact that members of a sports team that are eligible to play but aren't necessarily starting the match or even participating on a given day are referred to as the squad. 

3 hours ago, Azreal13 said:

Probably (although not definitely) the likely genesis of squaddie comes from the fact that members of a sports team that are eligible to play but aren't necessarily starting the match or even participating on a given day are referred to as the squad.

Having belonged to plenty of footy squads myself over the years I get that, however squaddie?? Sounds like something my kids would say when talking about my little pony or something. Only my feeling when I read the word but it doesn't feel like it has the grim/grittiness that I associate with the rest of the GB world...

8 hours ago, Lemminkäinen said:

(Also note that Arctic is basically "the place with the bears" and Antarctic is "the place without any bears" - it's a fine way to define regions!)

Never knew this before ... thanks for the education! I guess that means Hunters are Arctic and all the other Guilds are Antarctic.