Sign in to follow this  
Lena

Fishermen binary?

So I have some old Fishies lying around but them being the team taht's probably the most slanted towards scoring I fear a bit that their playstyle might end up being a bit too binary. Can anyone confirm / disprove this? Also how's Shark been since his nerf? Looking at his card I worry he might be a bit too much of a one-trick pony with not that much depth to his play.

I just played a tourney with them, and didn't take out a single opposing player. In all fairness, I wasn't going for take outs, the closest I got was on Poor Lucky of the Brewers. I also didn't own Avarisse & Greede, who seem to be take out machines. 

Scored 8 goals in three games (2-1) on the day.

Maybe this will change when their Minor Guild gets released, but I'd say you playing Fish, you want to be scoring a minimum of two goals a game. 

I could be wrong, tho, I'm not as Vet with them as many of the players in this forum.

Corsair can play a mixed game, no problem (depending on match-ups of course), especially if you bring in some choice Union damage dealers like A&G or Gutter. I've been able to go 1-4 with him before but usually go for a 2-2 game.

Shark needs to be played at a very high pace now as you are no longer able to shut down key enemy models with Gut & String and need to end the game before all your players start getting wiped out. He can still be fun but he's definitely lost some breadth after the nerf. I've managed to win a few games going 2-2 with Shark but that's never Plan A.

Well I'm not necessarily expecting them to get lots of kills, I'm more thinking like, does each game end up feeling the same or is there still plenty of variety?

1 hour ago, Lena said:

Well I'm not necessarily expecting them to get lots of kills, I'm more thinking like, does each game end up feeling the same or is there still plenty of variety?

I guess it depends on your version of variety?

I play Shark because he does one thing really well.  He is a classic min/max character and his team is constructed to push one aspect of the game as far as it can go.  This means that his focus is extremely narrow, but his tools towards that end are, imo both strong and complex when played at a high level.  

Anytime you pick up Fish, you will have to devote focus to the ball. And when you play Shark, your method to victory is fairly set.  Despite this, I think how you manufacture your path can vary greatly from game to game.  You can run your list though aggressive play from Shark or Sakana, or Greyscales, or Siren, depending on your preference. But you will almost never even be trying to do dmg to anyone.  Shark is always trying to do the same thing, the variety comes from how your opponent attempts to deal with the question Shark poses, and how you smack that down.  

Corsair is a lot less narrow than Shark and has quite a bit of adaptability. He can play different styles into different people with great success, and captains a wider range of normal players with more ease than Shark does.  Corsair games can feel very different even into the same guild based on what combination of A&G, Gutter, reg/vet Siren, Jac and Greyscales you pick for your final two slots. (pretty sure you take Sakana and Hag 100% of the time). Corsair can really be as varied of a captain as you are willing to try new things as a coach.  

Its also worth it to point out that, compared to other guilds, they are contenders for the two most varied captains from each other.  Even if you don't find a ton of variety in the Shark game itself, he definitely breaks up any boredom you experience from 15 games in a row of trying to Corsair FishTank people. 

Tons of game variety in fish. Possibly more so than any other guild. You can build insanely high tempo goal lists. You can build incredibly grindy tough hide lists. Everything in between. You can even do wacky shark sumo-shove lists.

You will not get bored playing fish.  If you like murdering, you have a fabulous captain set up for that.  If you like scoring, play fish. I guess the only thing you really can't do with fish is some insane no-goal-all-takeout win, but even Butchers score.  I've found that fish are a great team to tailor your matchups to the other side's weaknesses.  

2 hours ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

I've found that fish are a great team to tailor your matchups to the other side's weaknesses.  

Could you elaborate a bit on this? 

Sure.  Against teams that are going to outfight you, or are particularly dangerous in groups but are slow around the edges, you can play a 100% goal oriented Shark team.  If you have a team that wants to score a bit more, but doesn't really want to get bogged down in the middle and punched in the face, you can run a Corsair list which can range from scorey with sakana osiren and greyscales, to downright murdery with AG or Gutter and maybe even Kraken.  

In short, Fish are extremely flexible.  Even when they're murdery, they still score better than most teams.