• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sitaavanu

Is a 'pure' footballing team viable?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day and wanted some community feedback. So you think brewers can get away with a pure footballing team (I know we don't have a football captian)? Something like

Tapper - for control

Quaff - for pushes to keep players disengaged and help us hit tackles/pushes better

Mash, Friday & either Spigot (v for close control and o for football legend) 

Harry - to stock momentum from passes

Some matchup just feel like we struggle to out scrum due to their better damage, pushes/disengage or general mobility.  Has anyone tried something like this into say engineers or smoke alchemists? What are your experiences?

When I have played with or against a football brewers team it used Esters, Quaff or Scum, Mash, Friday, Spigot and either Hooper or Stoker.

The team has a lot more T results than people expect and Spigot + Easters gives some real flexibility in movement.

Football legend makes everyone a viable kicking option.

However all the things you want to do take setup so it's not often the charge, steal ball, dodge away, score game like fish or Alchemists. It takes more time and preparation.

In my experience when playing into another football focused team you find yourself going back to beat down because they are just better than you at football.

The team has goals in its locker but I'm not convinced it has a strong "pure" football game.

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

When I have played with or against a football brewers team it used Esters, Quaff or Scum, Mash, Friday, Spigot and either Hooper or Stoker.

Instead of Hooper or Stoker, I'd suggest Lucky. Just be very, very careful when using the 4" Dodge.

Tapper, vSpigot, Friday, pint pot, scum and lucky. Is the best list for strikers I've run.

tapper, scum and pint pot don't need a ton of investment to do a take out or two. Friday and vSpiggot (either spigot actually) are big goal threats. lucky can play midfeild support and set up for snap backs.

3-0 may be a bit tough, but a 2-2 is very doable.

Brewers really need a rush keeper IMO.

Yeah we could do with some sort of keeper to play the all out football game. 3 goals is going to be tough against a well matched opponent.

I really need to test vSpigot a bit more - my regular opponent us a fish player, who can pretty much negate him with 2" melee, and not wanting to stand within 8" of the edge through fear of being shoved off by Jac. 

On 1/29/2018 at 3:08 AM, ForestRambo said:

A pure footballing team might be viable but does the beg question - why not just go play Fishermen. 

Because the Brewers do it after a few pints! 

I've run Esters, Scum, Stoker, Friday, V-Spigot, and Pint Pot to good effect.  Esters hangs back and acts like a goalie while blasting the upfield and singing her team's praises.  With the right combination of buffs, passes, dodges, and terrain arrangement Friday can go goal line to goal line for a shot, Spigot is good for holding the ball with Close Control and his +1 defense heroic and he can hang near the edge for the free counter attack.  Stoker is handy at everything; solid attacker with a fairly easy tackle, ranged control, condition damage, a decent passer, and one of the toughest pieces to put down.  The Scum-Missile momentum mill doesn't need much explanation  Pint Pot is there because having a goon that can stand on his own helps to keep your strikers and passers free.  If you drop anyone to go full ballgame, drop him for Mash or Lucky. 

With that I've gotten three goals against Masons and Engineers and at least two goals against everyone else I've played. 

Played this list recently, it was also pretty good.

Esters( hard to kill and has distance plays) and pint pot (high life/rowdy) for middle stoppage.  oSpigot(tool up), Friday and Scum (he's just better at everything) for tackle/goal threat. For the 6th mash is a good call with 2" and unpredictable. Lucky is a solid alternate striker, if you need more speed.