• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Brujah63

Engeeners vs Morticians

Sorry for my bad English, I'm French and I'm not good so in the language of Shakespeare, I go through Google translation.
Recently I played against the Morticians & I lost 2 times, I have trouble managing this team. Obulus is very boring with Puppet Master & I find that Cosset, oGraves & Brainpan hurt a lot. Here are our 2 Rosters:
Obulus, Dirge, Cosset, oGraves, Brainpan & Skulk
Ballista, Mother, Colossus, Locus, Hoist & Ratchet

I thought Ballista was the most suited against Morticians thanks to Minefield, I avoid Cosset's charges or at least make him think if she gets Crazy. He is beefier than Pin Vice with Tough Hide & generates more Momentum with Momentus Inspiration. I played Locus the last part thinking I needed more of the 2 '' Melee Zone, but eventually Harry is better suited for this kind of mission. It was the first time I played it & I did not find it really good, it's slow, it does not fit well, its Character Plays are situational & in the end Gravity well not worth a real scrum 2 '' . Colossus is very good, mixed zone 2 '', Tough Hide, he is there to occupy the ground and if need be mark or open paths through Unexpected Arrival. Hoist still does his job, he plays the ball, he duplicate Blast Earth, he uses Burrow, he cash well, short of positive. Mother, nothing to say & Ratchet the same.
Finally my concern comes from the fact that I get bogged down in the middle of the field after Puppet Master. Then with Cosset, oGraves & Memory it's Hiroshima on a player every turn .... To break this I thought to wait with Hoist & Ratchet to finish with 4 Blast Earth & 8 pvs on everyone, since they are generally very close to each other. Unless you throw bad dice, it could calm down end of turn 1 especially they are all 4+ DEF.
I wonder if Pin Vice would not be more playable against them, with Deletion & Controller? With Deletion I can go from 8 to 12 pvs (Blast Earth) & Controller allows me to activate Velocity without taking a risk of a Puppet Master & lose the ball. If I get the ball I can score a turn goal 1 & thus gain the advantage over my opponent level points, then I'm waiting for the Snap Shot with Velocity.
If someone already has experience against the Morticians, I'm interested.

Purely from theory, I think ballista is the way to go in morticians. Deadbolt is golden if he hides the ball on Obulus, and minefield is great against cosset for example, as you mentioned. 

Locus feels okay, but I would leave him out for Velocity or Compound. 

I always take PV into Obulus. Why? For Controller. If I receive, take Harry with me. Mother picks the ball with a nest and places it on the ground. Hoist and Ratchet do some aoe. Then PV picks the ball, passes it to Velocity, who makes a free dodge thanks to Harry. Now comes Controller. Velocity is in range for a turn 1 goal and I have a spare momentum point.

From turn 2 I can kill a player a turn with PV. I have higher Mov, so I can position safely and try to kill a player before he activates. Velocity and Hoist can approach Obulus and tackle him, so he's not a safe ball bunker. Well, even Mother can do it ;) Also, Mother has 4" kick, so I can hide the ball on the spider if I'm afraid of Puppet Master.

Ballista all the way. Obulus's defensive tech matter's little to a team that can put 11 damage per turn downfield at range and can KD the ball off of him from range. Additionally, your team is tanky enough to be pretty hard for Mort's to grind through, AND you are better goal scorers. Additionally, between Velocity, Colossus, and Hoist (true repping burrow or acrobatics), all of your strikers can get around unpredictable movement. 

I started off as a Morts player and have somewhat recently picked up the Engineers. I have never played into the Morts so I cannot tell you which captain may be best but I think both captains have their advantage.

What you would ideally like is to engage Cosset with Colossus because of his 2” melee and easy KD. This will shut down her attack because 1. She can’t charge into you because you are engaging her 2. Have to jog to hit you and surrender her free charge 3. Can’t KD you since she doesn’t have KD 4. Can’t easily push you away because you have Stoic. The situation is even better if she is KD prior to her activation so that a KD counter attack from Colossus would essentially end her activation. This would leave them to either use Graves to burn Stoic and push you away from Cosset so she can charge in or have Oboulus PM you away, both of which you can activate Colossus next and re-engage Cosset. Cosset is also pretty killable so some AOEs and Colossus swings should take care of her. It is also going to be hard for Cosset to kill Colossus with his tough hide. It’s likely the Morts player will try to avoid this pairing as much as possible. A second wind to engage her is something they might not see coming and then would have to deal with. While trying to deal with getting Colossus off Cosset, the rest of your team is hopefully scoring goals. Best of luck!