• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Malritch

Ramblings...and maybe some encouragement

As I sit with a very strong cup of coffee and try to sort things out on my work desk my mind wanders...and mostly, these days, it treads on Guild Ball pitches.

I am about six months into this hobby...the game...the painting...the terrain making...and it has been a wonderful ride thus far. My win/loss ratio is horrendous. I think I've managed to win about 15 of 50 matches and yet I have only occassionally become frustrated by my lack of victories. Perhaps I measure success differently than many. To this point I have taken great delight in small victories... scoring on a well executed goal run (rare for me), killing Ox with Flint (it happened... I tell you the whole tale over a beer some time)...great close games (lost 12-11 to Morts last night when Harmony missed a goal with me clocked out and I had to give my opponent the winning VP).

Eventually I hope that patience and practice will pay off and I can claw my way to mediocrity! That, however was never the point of my entering the Guild Ball rank and file. I'm challenging myself to get out and socialize more than I have in years. Challenging myself to make some new friends... most of which seem to be 20-25 younger than I am... and give me wonderful new perspectives on things. Challenging myself to get better each and every time I square off with an opponent. I am not sure when I might get past the current plateau that I am on and make more progression on my resolution to become a 50/50 player... but I know it will come. I play against much more experienced players for the most part. I play against opponents who are more tuned to this type of thing than I am. This is my first foray into a miniature game...and I just don't naturally think the way they do. It is not a bad thing that I am forced to expand my faculties... it is just as challenging, refreshing, and rewarding as it is occassionally frustrating. The relationships developed and the time spent having fun together playing and discussing Guild Ball are, to me, far more valuable than whether or not I crush my opponent. (No real crushing on my part has been witnessed as of yet... although there was that practice game on Vassal where I just played both teams and kicked the crap out of myself)

I know there are many who are a good deal more competitive than I am. I know some who just hate to lose. I know some who seem to want the winning to come easy and give up before they actually put in the time to get better. To each, their own, I suppose. I am sure there are a few out and about that perhaps are struggling a bit like myself. I would encourage everyone to find their own little successes beyond the win column. It make everything just a bit more enjoyable.

....and in conclusion to the rambling.... my thanks... my thanks to those of you who continue to support and inspire those around you. You make a huge difference... and often probably don't even know you are doing it.

Cheers all!

Iron sharpens iron. You will learn more getting your butt kicked than you will smashing face. 

When I first started I just got trounced and trounced. I played Alchemists and just couldn't get my head around them. I thought it was me. I thought it was the team. I thought a lot of things, but it started to click. Now I hardly lose with them and feel I know them intrinsically and play with "suboptimal" teams to try and learn them even more. 

I've also started playing Hunters and am about... 40% with them so far... I like the challenge and/or am masochistic. 

As long as you're having fun, though, there's no wrong way to play Guildball!

This was a good read. It made me quite happy to hear you've found something you enjoy and it has lead to you meeting new people and connecting with them. 

Cheers for sharing. And I'm entirely sure you'll get there. I myself suck as well for a good while, I can't learn anything by reading the cards, I don't listen to people on the Internet before I've confirmed it myself so I play models people say are bad just to see if they are indeed bad also in my hands. 

Guildball is rough man, as a first game. I'm happy I have friends that play a variety of games. We have way too many games we play btw but out of them all Guildball had the most ridiculously high learning curve. So don't get disheartened man, we come from a competitive malifaux crowd and we're stumped with Guildball every friggin' game. :D

You'll get there, for sure! 

Really good read mate, I've enjoyed all the discussion we had here on the forums. I can promise that if you stick with it, practice and practice some more things only get better.

One day we will have to get a game in on the pitch.

@Malritch

Thanks for sharing - always good to hear the thoughts of another aged gamer.

I used to tease the younger folks I played with in SK that I only won games because none  of them took a 50+ year old miniature gamer seriously ;) 

I recently moved a province east (back home as it turns out) and am now working at growing the local Guild Ball scene.

All going well I plan on attending Western Canadian Nationals in August. If you're there I'm calling dibs on the first game of "hotel lobby ball" with you!

@Alphadork I would have enjoyed a game with you so very much!!!! Alas, I will be in Winnipeg at a family gathering at that time. One day we shall have that game good sir, one day for sure! I wish you all the success in getting things fired up in Manitoba!