Sign in to follow this  
Horeath

Non Thresher Farmers - Anyone trying this?

I'm really keen to figure out some non Thresher lists when my Farmers2 Box arrives. I'm currently thinking something like:

Grange, Eddie (Murphy, a.k.a Donkey), Homer (Mr Plough), Harrow, Fallow and Grace 

Which might work against some teams. Ploughman dropping AoE's for double markers in my mind allows for optimal Fallow set up, while Grace + Harrow means very strong healing options. Grace basically does her heal or Quick foot for free, and hands an inf to the team. The list only brings 10 influence,  but Fallow doubles the impact of markers, as she gains 4 inf for 2 markers, and you still have Grange's legendary up your sleeve.

I really like the idea on not making it all about a single brutal Reaper, but trying to spread some damage out around various players, with a few options for "finisher". Everyone on the list has access to damage on their playbooks, except Grace, with Grange and Fallow the "finishers". Especially with Granges 2' melee and honest labour, he can engage a hurt someone target, and let Fallow take bonus' (if she doesn't go Rowdy) in hitting a second player. Loads of KD, and especially cook in momentous AoE from Ploughman, and momentous harvest markers from Harrow.

Questions:

Would Millhouse be better than Grace? She doesn't heal, but can punch a bit better with damage on her playbook. She also is tougher, and negates conditions. I kinda see Fallow hanging out behind the line, with 2 HM between her and her teammates, and taking a "between a rock" jog, then a quickfoot jog to get in and swing  times. Does Grace or Millhouse help that better?

I'd love to hear other non Thresher ideas. 

Millstone is just better in general for Farmers than Grace I think. She brings a harvest marker that doesn't need to be near the captain to produce - which can be doubled with Plough. INF that can be shared more easily. Decent in a fight, even better when near Grange (Honest Labour), can push your guys around and blah blah... you know why people choose her.

With Grange chucking out Tough Hide to a player Between a Rock could be used sort of more aggresively in a way - you know the opponent is going to hit someone, so make it not to as much damage and also cause Murder Granny to bounce around.

I think Tater pretty much always has a place in a Farmers team, even if you never give him INF. That counter charge is just so useful for keeping your team safe or forcing the opponent to do something they don't want to which is one of the few control things we can do.

My Grange lists would probably be;

Peck/Buck - Condition-ish teams/I want a goal or need to push people around

Harrow - While he might not be the best at one thing, he can help with everything. Tooled Up & Rapid Growth are great. Pretty much always in the team for me.

Jackstraw/Millstone/Ploughman

Jack for goals or killing the ball, will almost always be the one to pick up the ball when receiving. Chucking out 2 harvest markers sets up Tater against any 1st activation goal attempts from the opponent

Mill for condition based teams - Alchemists or Fillet butchers

Ploughman is sadly unlikely to make the 10 but I want to run him a lot first to decide. The rough ground and doubling harvest markers should play well with Grange (and Tater/Fallow).

Tater - Counter charge, plus generally being great. Always on the board for me.

Windle/Fallow/Bushel - Fighting other slow fatties (unlikely to make the 10)/Not sure what for yet/Receiving the ball and getting a goal - works well with Jackstraw

For Grange, I tend to go Grange, Peck, Fallow, Jackstraw, Harrow, Tater. Fallow can just delete people, and her speed and kick compared to Windle make her a reasonable goal threat as well. Tater because obviously; he is a secondary damage dealer and has scored more goals for my Farmers than anyone else. Jackstraw for goals, ball holding, getting HM where you need them and a little damage. Harrow gives Tater or Fallow Tooled Up and can go in to finish people of/crowding out, and he's got a goal or two for me before (also, that :KD: on 4 isn't too hard to get). Peck is in general more useful (Heroic + Cocky), but for fun or if I want to score goals Buckwheat might come in.

I'm torn over Millstone - I like the bonus damage and more 2" Harrow brings, but you can do evil things with Millstone, and I've been destroyed by Grange sitting in her bubble with MP for the counter. She might be one of those players that makes you feel like a dick for playing them, like S1 Obulous.

I'm toying with the idea of a more Striker focused team: Grange, Donkey, Bushel, Jack, Millstone and Ploughman.

Grange and Millstone sit in Ploughman's rough ground which Bushel, Jack and Donkey run around getting the ball and scoring. 

I personally never play Thresher. I don't have fun playing with him. My usual line up is Grange, (Either Mascot), Tater, Harrow, Jackstraw, and the flex spot goes to Grace, Millstone or possible Ploughman depending on whom I'm up against.

I played a game recently using the following

Grange, Buckwheat, Tater, Millstone, Harrow, Jackstraw

I played into my Union player friend: sBrisket, Coin, Grace, Benediction, Harry, Mist

It was an interesting game. I will say being a base 14 INF and then also having harvest markers was pretty nutty in that I always had enough to do whatever I wanted

It was also the first time playing Farmers that I was almost entirely inside the other players half of the pitch

Not having Windle meant I could spread out a bit and didn't entirely have to dedicate to one players plan but it also meant I didn't have a dedicated removal piece (Granted Grange and Tater together removed pieces...I also may or may not have had buckwheat kick Harry off the pitch at one point :D).

Having Tough Hide from Grange and Tooled up from Harrow helped as it allowed the team to adapt better

I had zero issues with Harvest markers between grange, millstone, and Jack. Harrows was situational but helpful

I ended up winning 2-2 which was another new one for me (have been a 1-4 or 0-6 since I started playing Farmers)

I don't know how well the team would do into other lineups, but it was a nice test for me as it forced me to play differently than how I am used to with farmers which was fun

On 14/01/2018 at 12:36 AM, Adisidarian said:

I personally never play Thresher. I don't have fun playing with him. My usual line up is Grange, (Either Mascot), Tater, Harrow, Jackstraw, and the flex spot goes to Grace, Millstone or possible Ploughman depending on whom I'm up against.

I'd like to try out Ploughman more. How do you use him with Grange? I imagine you can't rely on his AoE's, due to him having to go before Grange and Millstone for bonus HM. Where do you position him/what role does he play for you?

I played a Grange team last night: Grange, Peck, Fallow, Harrow, Millstone, Tater. I was playing against Ballista Engineer's. The team overall felt very strong, and once I was in control of the ball and had a scrum going on their end of the field I felt like I was in a good spot. Cocky on Millstone is ridiculous. Grange, Fallow, and Harrow are very good friends. TAC 9 Fallow getting +2 to damage is absurd (3 base, +5 With Age..., +1 Honest Labour + any number of crowd outs).  The only downside is the Engineer's are very heavy on tough hide (also gluttonous mass), so I don't think the game was overall a strong example of how the team would normally play. The other downside is this setup doesn't have a great propensity for footballing, which was notable. 

I have a couple other ideas for teams too - 

Football Grange: Buckwheat, Bushel, Jackstraw, Millstone, Tater

Balanced Grange: Buckwheat, Fallow, Jackstraw, Millstone, Tater

On 17/01/2018 at 9:26 PM, GamertagSJ said:

I played a Grange team last night: Grange, Peck, Fallow, Harrow, Millstone, Tater. I was playing against Ballista Engineer's. The team overall felt very strong, and once I was in control of the ball and had a scrum going on their end of the field I felt like I was in a good spot ... The other downside is this setup doesn't have a great propensity for footballing, which was notable.

I've found that with Grange buffing your kicks, if you have that scrum in their half and get the ball, it is not very difficult at all to get Grange or Tater in 6" of the goal to take a shot with 3 dice. Tater's high move and massive :KD:'s mean he is currently my highest goal scorer in Farmer by a big margin.

I recently played through the Kickabout League with just the Honest Land box plus Tater (I had the LE one and the league agreed to let me use him since I didn't have any other options).

I was consistently impressed with two people I hadn't expected to be: Windle and Jackstraw.

Windle is a murdermachine, especially piling into the scrum with Grange (Honest Labor) and God help your opponent if he's Tooled Up.  The sneaky thing about Windle that I found is the extra VP he can generate because of Snack Break.  I used my other players to give him dodges so he could walk into an opponent Grange had managed to trap, then attack for damage, use the free berserk attack to trigger snack break, and buy/take free additional attacks until the target went down.  Being able to delete a mascot (easily) for 2 VP can be game-saving.  Getting 6 VP from two take-outs is incredible.  He has the enormous problem of being 2+/0, but he's got a ton of HP, and if you keep him near Grange, your opponent often gets penalized pretty badly for attacking him.  Grange can also reliably generate the Harvest Marker he needs for Big Breakfast.

Jackstraw, on the other hand, has shockingly turned into one of my leading goal scorers (actually, I think he might BE my leading goal scorer).  His ability to teleport from marker to marker, combined with his long kick range, means he has very unusual and non-linear threat, plus your opponent often doesn't see it coming from the slow-as-crap-10-HP-scarecrow.  Just make sure you always have two MP when you go to shoot- with only a 2/8" kick, you're going to want to Bonus Time!

My go to Grange line up is 

Grange

Peck

Harrow

Millstone

Tater 

Fallow

It is a highly defensive, prison control, bunker of no fun. 

Grange is amazing at holding onto the ball because in most situations it takes three knockdowns to knock him down, five on legendary. If they send a striker to tackle they have to play around Tater ruining there run with counter charge, and granges counter attack is enough to stop goals. Against oSiren the ball is sufficiently safe on peck, but dropping it in the middle of the bunker protects it well. 

Against teams with super solo captains (fillet, hammer, etc) the team is so durable and good at shutting them down with the control elements. Leading with grange and having fallow within range to trigger between a rock and a... is a nightmare for those captains who want to pile everything into one player and take them out quick. Doing this they are a minimum -2 Tac against fallow, assuming tater didn’t get to join in. 

Against teams that want to set up a scrum and brawl is playing into our favour. The amount of two inch reach allows for us to set up scrums to our advantage easier, Grange’s easy knockdown and passives allow him to control scrums well. This line up packs in two damage buffs allowing us to match the fighting power if not hit harder. Harrows heal keeps the farmers large health pools up higher. 

This list still suffers from some weakness but the OPD change that makes captains pick after the kick and receive roll shores up the largest weakness in Grange’s game, however he can still play a game if kicking. It forces a much tighter game and if the opponent has knee slider it can be a nightmare. Corsair can pick Grange farmers apart by seperating players from the support one at a time (obulus can to an extent as well but the buddy knockdown system can protect players from being moved in, then peck can stand them up if you have momentum)