Sign in to follow this  
Terminus

Hello from the frozen North!

Hi everyone!

A little about me; 31, Can-Asian, spent the last 3 years in Vegas before moving back North of the border.  I work full time as the Art Director at a software and mobile games studio while I study for my part-time MBA in the evenings at Schulich.

I've been playing Guild Ball pretty casually for a little over a year and a half now (I needed a break from competitive 40k, and I'm getting older now so painting large armies is less fun and more chore-ish than it used to be!).  I've collected the entirety of Fishermen and Butchers, and am currently working towards finishing my full set of Morticians as well (with Alchemists right behind them).

Cats over dogs, pie over cake,  and because I'm a raging nerd who is upset that I have to wait until 2019... "Winter is always here..."

- Terminus -

Toronto!  I thought the mention of Schulich would have given it away! (Schulich is Business School of York University)!

- Terminus -

Naw, by Typhus's flag-ship, the Terminus Est!
Unfortunately, we can only have the 8 characters on license plates so it's just been Terminus for many years now!

- Terminus -

Oh not just a Horus Heresy reader!  I play Horus Heresy too, have a company-sized force of Ultramarines, and expanding with a bit of Custodes!

Difficult to say!  I feel like the first three books (Horus Rising, False Gods, and Galaxy in Flames) as a collection are incredibly well written and help set the tone.  I think Legion gives a really different light to the Alpha Legion and brings into question the motivations of every Legion involved.  Know No Fear (of course, I'm biased) portrays incredibly well the Ultramarine resilience and resolve, and I'm a huge Dan Abnett fan (I'm disappointed Aaron Dembski-Bowden hasn't written more, I'd argue he has surpassed Abnett since Dan's bout with epilepsy).

I want to like Prospero Burns and Thousand Sons (one of my main armies and favorite is Space Wolves), but they mis-timed the release (again, Abnett's epilepsy pushed Prospero back a year, it was intended to be the first) and reading them out of order ruined the two books for me.

- Terminus -

I hadn't thought to "google" Schulich :) ...and never having been east of Manitoba (yet)...and an old guy with questionable brain function at times (HA!)... I had not made the connection!

At any rate... always good to see another Canadian!!! Welcome again!

Fair enough!  I guess I take it for granted sometimes that everybody I talk to/know has heard of York and Schulich.

Cheers for the welcome!

- Terminus -

I’ve lived my entire life in Toronto and never heard of Schulich :)

PS Hello I live in Toronto and we are always looking for new players

Hey Frostmane!

No worries; my brother and a whole slew of other friends have gone to York University so Schulich is a pretty common school name for me, just like Rotman's is!

Where abouts in Toronto?  I'm dying to find more local players (I only just moved back from Vegas a few months ago), since most of my gaming friends live in Oakville and Mississauga!

- Terminus -

I've joined the group.  Downtown is kind of a headache for me to get to, since I work and go to class in Vaughan, and live at the Yonge and Eglinton area!

But hopefully I can try and squeeze in some time here and there!  I've been trying to get a handle on Vassal too, just been messing around the past week with the program.

- Terminus -

Ahh, memories... I worked at U of T for a few years, so all the names are familiar. Though I lived almost next to CAMH, because I liked being close to work :)

The key with vassal, I’ve found, is to expect it to take a few seconds to respond to anything you do (that’s the price of all the functions in it) - that way it’s much less frustrating. Timed games on it are a bit problematic, but the rest works fine!

Yea I applied to the Rotman MBA at U of T as well, but decided against it primarily because of it's location (downtown) and because it's more Finance-based.

Actually I'm relatively okay with the delay; my biggest issue right now is familiarity and practice: 

I need to remember to box-select, not click, because I often click-nudge tokens by mistake which screws up ranges.
Copy tokens to perform moves/actions instead of just moving the original (in case I've mis-measured or f....mess... something up like click-nudging).
Ctrl-z, not Ctrl-x to perform take outs.
Tracking momentum on the right dial; just because my players are on one side of the Pitch doesn't mean I use the tracker on that side!

- Terminus - 

On 15.01.2018 at 8:40 PM, Terminus said:

Tracking momentum on the right dial; just because my players are on one side of the Pitch doesn't mean I use the tracker on that side!

You just need to claim the goal-post at your side of the pitch (right click, select 'Claim') and then you will be using the respective MP dial, as they are tied to Home/Visiting team, just as goal-posts are (Vassal doesn't know which side of the pitch you've dragged your models to). 

As to nudging the models when you select them: with practice you will learn to do it carefully enough so will rarely nudge them any more, until then the 'Undo' button is your friend.

On 11/01/2018 at 4:12 PM, Terminus said:

Oh not just a Horus Heresy reader!  I play Horus Heresy too, have a company-sized force of Ultramarines, and expanding with a bit of Custodes!

Difficult to say!  I feel like the first three books (Horus Rising, False Gods, and Galaxy in Flames) as a collection are incredibly well written and help set the tone.  I think Legion gives a really different light to the Alpha Legion and brings into question the motivations of every Legion involved.  Know No Fear (of course, I'm biased) portrays incredibly well the Ultramarine resilience and resolve, and I'm a huge Dan Abnett fan (I'm disappointed Aaron Dembski-Bowden hasn't written more, I'd argue he has surpassed Abnett since Dan's bout with epilepsy).

I want to like Prospero Burns and Thousand Sons (one of my main armies and favorite is Space Wolves), but they mis-timed the release (again, Abnett's epilepsy pushed Prospero back a year, it was intended to be the first) and reading them out of order ruined the two books for me.

- Terminus -

Same! I have a around 5000 point World Eater force.

The first Five for me are some of the best! (Some bias also) but First Heretic & Betrayer amongst my other favourites.