malladin.ben

What's your "secret" tech

We've been a bit quite on the butchery front lately, so I thought I'd come up with a new topic to discuss.

Do you have any little tricks or non-"standard" ways of using particular models? They might not be the strongest or best uses of a model, or they they may incredibly situational abilities, but what secret tech have you been using and having fun with.

Here's a one of mine:

Concussion. 

If you've been reading my more recent threads I've been banging on about using Boar and Rage in tandem, but I thought I'd draw your attention to a particular favourite play of mine: concussion. Both models have a 4dmg concussion result at the top of their playbooks and this is well worth giving up the momentum for in the right circumstances. Firstly, furious and berserk targets are great targets for a concussion, and most of them give you a helping hand getting to it. Big hitters like vKat, Seenah and Windle (not to mention Boar himself in the mirror) are very easily cancelled with a couple of concussions, and are quite easy to get it off against.

It can also be really effective vs strikers, potentially removing a goalscoring opportunity from the round. If you can scoop 2 INF off a 4 INF stacked striker it can potentially mean that they don't have enough left to score. this works well in tandem with kicking the ball wide to put it even further away.

Another trick I've found where it's useful is vs Hammer. Hammer needs "friends" nearby he can steal INF off, and concussion against these models can be a potential way of slowing him down. You need to be careful, though, because a Boar or Rage within Hammer's threat is probably a dead Boar or Rage with or without Iron Fist, so make sure you are actually denying him tricks rather than just giving him a juicy target (this is possible with Boar an his 2" melee zone, but harder with Rage).

What tricks have you discovered?

Ben

Does scoring with Meathook count? LOL

I use the Fillet/Brisket/Meathook combo to deliver both hits and goals, surging them forward in an attack, getting them closer to the  goal then passing the ball to whoever's in the  most convient position to score. I think Meathook has scored more than Brisket, as you don't expect her to, so everyone's looking at Brisket as the scoring threat. Even scored with Boar a couple times this way. o_O

It's hard to find a good "Secret" tech in Butchers, they are a rather straight forward guild and thus have less "play" or "combo" that do well.

What I like though : 

- Playing Ox and boiler and buff Ox or another player with both +1def and +1 arm and send him up the pitch to serve as a punching ball, the opponent will or will not come to get this target but either way you have a player with a good position next turn. => it is kind of a risky move but it is effective to put some pressure against certain teams, disclaimer : it does not go well against Masson or Union.

- With Fillet : try and do a game with her supporting her team on first turn : giving brisket +2/+2 move, put some bleed on ennemies, passing the ball => she is surprisingly effective in that way and let you open up your game.

Butchery is something that has come I to my game a lot more since the Ox buff. Im not sure it counts as secret tech, but I have some hints on how I have managed to trigger it so frequently and how to make best use of it.

Not only has Ox's access to butchery come down a column, but (most importantly to my mind) you're not giving up any damage if you take it

Firstly, during his legendary turn, the armour debuff can make a big difference as to how often you can hit it. Against DEF 4 it's unlikely, but against DEF 3 with 8 dice you're hitting it 46% of the time, and vs DEF 2/1 it's 60%. Having a player KD'd (or hooked) and crowded before you activate ox for his legendary turn (ideally you set it up the turn before) can allow you to hit it multiple times. Vs even a 3/2 player base you can expect to hit it 3 times in a 5 attack turn. Against someone with lower defensive tech (in this world of 3/0 farmers and 3/1 or 2/2 blacksmiths) you can hit it even more often. Pick the right target and it can be amazing. Even against a 2/3 model, a charge that wraps to 2 (you need the crowd out and kd still) can add they ain't tough to that then you've hit it once aready and then your hitting it on almost every attack.

Outside your legendary turn, I find Ox usually has 3 or 4 influence. At this amount you can chaege a risky high def target. Go top of the turn with him so that they an only defensive stance or counter, and they'll probably counter. With just 1 bonus dice this gives you a 50/50 chance of hitting it on the charge vs a 4/1 model (unfortunately this doesn't work vs 5/0), if you do, take it and suffer the counter you've then got 1 or 2 INF left for throwing out another butchery or they ain't tough or tough skin. If you dont, you take the KD and then just hit them a couple more times and you might hit it on a lucky roll, buy you'll put a bit extra damage out at least (you'll probably do 6 or 7 instead of the 4 you'd do from butchery). 

In these situations butchery works like a soft tucked, forcing your opponent to act now or lose the model next activation. Even shark, butcheried and down 4 hp and inside ox's aura is looking at being taken out by pratically anyone on your team barring the mascot .(That said, a crowded out, KD'd Shark in Ox's aura and down 7hp is probably in a similar position). Use this ability to your advantage and force them to activate someone they were likeky to want to save for later (a stacked up striker who doesn't have the ball, for example).

Just throwing a butchery out with dice can be useful, too, especially if you can do it twice. The soft tucked effect becomes even more powerful if you an put it out on two different targets. That way at least one of them will still be around for the take out next activation. This is really good vs a team that's trying to keep their distance from Ox as it extends his threat bubble to 12 or 14".

Cheerio,

Ben

So not really secret tech but perhaps less utilised tech. Had a game vs smiths last night, found myself using a lot of pushes. Managed to charge the pig into Captain Furnace and push him an inch so Ox could now reach him. Ox then charged KD and 2x :>>: to bring him into range of both Minx and Boar suffice to say the rest of the turn did not go well for furnace he was KD dirty knivesd, screaming bansheed and snared while crowded out by 2 players by the time Boar got his charge off...

I continued to use pushes etc throughout the match to set up other painfull situations for the smiths picked up my first 12-0 in a long time (to be fair he missed a shot at goal when I was up 8-0 with three of his player in range of fully stacked Ox sitting on about 9 health and i had 6 MOM to his 0)

I have been toying around with the idea of a speed list.  Fillet, Princess, Meathook, VetBrisket, Shank, and Boiler/Minx.  The idea being to start every turn asking can I get a goal rather than who can I take out.  I have not been able to get many games in lately though so I have not tried it out.