Sign in to follow this  
kaladorm

Corsair vs Honour Match Report

For those who have been chatting to me on Discord, you'll know that I've been trying to unlock the Corsair mystery, without great success so far. This game was a particularly rough one and the more we discussed it after the more we think the Corsair game plan isn't working vs Masons. I'll post the game first, from my perspective as Corsair, and then discuss in the next post where I think things are going wrong. Would welcome your input on this as well.

I've recreated the game from memory of last night, so the positioning on the board may be fairly rough, but enough to tell the story. 

J29FWvZ.png

Turn 1
#############################
Influence
Corsair      6    Honour      5
Salt            1    Marbles     0        
Hag           0    Flint            4
Sakana     2    Harmony    1
Siren         0    Brick            1
Greede     1    Mallet          1
Avarisse   3

Salt jogs to the ball, retrieves and passes to Corsair. Masons move Brick forward. Corsair kicks a pass to Sakana but misses, failing to get the teamwork action neded to dodge and try to drag flint. Corsair sprints towards the ball, throws out sturdy on Hag and ends the turn with 3 inf left. Masons and Fish both position other models, with Honour putting superior strategy on Flint. Flint activates last, farms some momentum from A&G and ends up in the middle of the pitch.

MOM: Masons 5, Fish 1

VFjQyas.png

Turn 2
##############################
Corsair     6    Honour       6
Salt           0    Marbles      0        
Hag           0    Flint             4
Sakana     3    Harmony    0
Siren         0    Brick            0
Greede     0    Mallet          2
Avarisse   3

Flint activates first, charges Corsair (def stance) and gets the MOM push-dodge. Uses where'd they go to grab the ball and scores. Masons use Knee Slider, Fish use Who Are Ya? for a vengeance token. Goal kick places the ball onto Hag. After some respositioning, Sakana charges Mallet to also engage Marbles, hits >><< and a MOM < and drags Mallet back, then hits MOM 1dmg Weak Point.

mUiswmg.png

Mallet attacks back, getting a push to disengage and Sakana doesn't use Poised. Corsair bonus times a drag on Harmony but misses, attempts twice more and misses both, then jogs forward. Honour engages Sakana and rolls horribly but knocks him down to 6 health. 

UHmSaXr.png

MOM: Masons 4, Fish 0
Score: Masons 4, Fish 0

Turn 3
Influence

Corsair     4    Honour       6
Salt           0    Marbles      0        
Hag           2    Flint            0
Sakana     0    Harmony    3
Siren         2    Brick            1
Greede     0    Mallet          3
Avarisse   3

Honour activates first and finishes off Sakana (Sakana counters for 1 dmg Weak Point), then legendaries for +1inf. Harmony activates with linked and sprints to Hag, gets the MOM tackle, Hags counter hits only 1dmg, and Harmony scores. Goal kick kicks the ball out wide to the middle left of the pitch. Siren charges Brick, engaging Marbles, and gets the MOM Seduced, forcing Mallet to attack Harmony and singled out. Brick hits Siren and uses knockback, doing 2 damage. Avarisse drops Greede and kills Harmony, leaving Greede on the pitch. Marbles charges Siren with Sic'em, and gets a MOM 2, followed by a MOM > on the next attack. Hag activates and legendaries, then fishers reel's Corsair to move him 4in over towards Honour. Corsair makes 4 attacks on Honour, getting a KD, MOM 3>, MOM 3> and 1, and MOM 3>, leaving her on 6. Momentum at this point is something like 10-8 or 10-7 to Masons, so I elect to spend my MOM to heal Siren and Hag. Probably a mistake here as I forgot Masons were on 10 VP, thinking it was 8.

MOM: Masons, 10, Fish 2

50YqtHL.png

Turn 4
Influence
Corsair     6    Honour       6
Salt           3    Marbles      0        
Hag           0    Flint            0
Sakana     0    Harmony    4
Siren         3    Brick            1
Greede     0    Mallet          3
Avarisse   0

Harmony jogs on the pitch. Masons activate first and Honour kills Siren. GG!

Score Masons 12, Fish 2

We played in person, but I used Vassal as an easy way of recreating board state.

If you get onto the discord channel you'll find people willing to show you how vassal works. Or setup a solo game and try and move stuff around and just see how you get on

I'm sure there are others who maybe have played more Corsair who can chime in, but I'll try to help unpack my thoughts on Corsair so far.

I've been primarily a Shark player, because I usually have my Butchers if I want to fight/smash.  On paper, Corsair was never inspiring to me and I couldn't really see the value, so I've never put him to the test until recently.  And let me tell you, he is a lot of fun!

The first thing that pops out to me is that Corsair plays the slow, scrum game.  Control the center of the pitch, keep players locked down, and dig the ball out to your wingers to score the goals.  Where Shark wants to play aggressive (and I have a tendency to immediately want to play almost every guild team in this fashion), Corsair requires a bit of patience to set up the scrum.  And moreso than just dodging around to retrieve the ball, Corsair needs ways to pull people in who are obviously trying to avoid being caught in the middle.  Players like Jac with Goad, Ramming Speed, and Trident Tested, oSiren with Lure, or Kraken with Drag provide great tech to accomplish this.

The second is the real key difference that I'm still wrapping my mind around; where Shark is a missile that sees the ball, retrieves the ball, and then scores, Corsair wants to just take the ball and hold it, march it up the field, score a few take outs, and then tap the ball in for a goal when everything lines up.  His Tough Hide, Sturdy, and Close Control make him an excellent ball carrier that requires a lot of resources (short of Character Plays that force a pass or just take the ball of him).

Lastly, Fishermen aren't a brawling team.  Just because Corsair plus some friends (Kraken, Jac) might want to hold the center and duke it out, your other players are still just Fishermen.  Slippery, fast, lots of 2" reach, mediocre Def and low HP.  So pushing players like Sakana or Siren into an enemy scrum is probably not what you want to do, because you're just playing into their plan.

Instead, use your own tech like Jac's Goad, Siren's Lure, and Corsair/Kraken's Drag to pull enemy players out of position and into your lines (even better if you target players who have yet to activate, since they're essentially locked for the rest of turn).  Targeting players who have already activated to deal KD and damage is also a great way to force inefficient Momentum use from your opponent, and prevent doubling out on Take A Breather/C'mon Mate.

In your first turn, opening early with Hag isn't a terrible idea.  Talisman + extra Dodges (maybe even her Legendary) would've given you extra movement forward, and with Fear, makes an excellent ball carrier since it requires extra Influence from that first activation to get the ball off of her.

Sakana in your game would have been better used on the flank opposite the entire Mason team, to threaten goal.  He's fast, especially with that cover/smoke, and a 10" run and 8" kick means that once he grabs the ball, he can easily threaten goal, forcing the enemy formation to break and send at least one player to deal with him.

Ultimately, while Corsair gives you the option to do Take-Outs, what he really does is give you consistent options, and a strong mid-late game.

Just some thoughts.  I'm trying to avoid rambling and unless you have specific questions, I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information.

- Terminus -

I'm mostly a Shark player, but have recently been toying with Corsair (mostly because I keep hearing he's the bees knees...or in this case the fish's flippers).  Anyway, when I play Shark my usual line-up looks like: Shark, Salt, Sakana, Greyscales, Jac, and Siren.  This list plays fast, real fast and surprisingly has been very fun and competitive.  Corsair, on the other hand looks like a fighting captain in a guild with no real fighters that cannot takeout another player.  Because of my fast scoring play style and other people's proclivity to kill the ball, I find myself switching to Corsair.  Here's what I've been toying with:  Corsair, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, Hag, and oSiren.  My goal is much the same as playing a Shark team, score and score often.  I use Corsair and Tentacles in tandem to help control the middle of the field and in case the other team wants to try and kill the ball, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to help solve that.  With Sakana and Greyscales on the wings, I can bring some good pressure once Corsair gets the ball and trust me, once Corsair gets the ball it's darn near impossible to get it off him.  The other things I enjoy, and utilize often, is to have Corsair hand out sturdy to whichever winger gets the ball.  Well, this is my two cents anyway.

17 hours ago, kaladorm said:

We played in person, but I used Vassal as an easy way of recreating board state.

If you get onto the discord channel you'll find people willing to show you how vassal works. Or setup a solo game and try and move stuff around and just see how you get on

cool. i will check it out.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:16 AM, kaladorm said:

Salt jogs to the ball, retrieves and passes to Corsair. Masons move Brick forward. Corsair kicks a pass to Sakana but misses, failing to get the teamwork action neded to dodge and try to drag flint. Corsair sprints towards the ball, throws out sturdy on Hag and ends the turn with 3 inf left.

Here you risk 10 influence on a single pass. Albeit a 87.5% chance of success, you effectively lost your early game advantage right here. Think about what you could have done differently to minimize risk. You could have had Corsair dodge off the pass from Salt. You could have had Salt pass to someone else or into space.

The reason I want to highlight this particular part of the write up is Corsair's #1 strength is the ability to dictate *where* a fight occurs. However, despite what folks may think, his team is not a great long term brawling team. Corsair needs to play on his side of the pitch, isolate someone, and kill um quickly. The missed pass resulted in a loss of pitch control, now, instead of being knocked down and almost dead, flint is running circles on us.

One more note - I never really find A&G worth taking a lot of inf on T1. Even with harpoons they rarely get into the action. I tend to load um up for a top of T2 activation.