Sign in to follow this  
THE_DOJO_MIKE

Rough match ups and how to deal

With a tournament looming this weekend, I was wondering what Blacksmith players found to be the worst matchups for the guild. After play testing captains for the weekend I personally feel like Theron causes a very large problem for all of the blacksmith captains. His ability to reduce kick stats and make the most dynamic movements directly toward him. Gut and String from Jacear is problematic as well as Egret throwing poison on 2-3 players a turn. The Hunters seem to give the blacksmiths a lot of trouble and I was wondering what you would do to counter or play around.

Also, what other matchups do you find uphill? (Besides thresher ^_^) 

Smoke Alchemists are still a problem but now with Box2 we have the speed to engage. Will get mauled by Kat2 though. 

Hunters are good into us. But with the speed crew (Farris/Bolt) I’ve not had too much problem - Hunters are almost as flimsy as BS and a tooled up Iron will smash face. With access to 2” we can avoid Theton’s counter and wreck him. BS are also much better at football. 

Masons ive found are troublesome. Arm2 is annoying yo! :) It means we miss our powerful end of playbooks. Counter charge is irritating and Hammer can easily take out any apprentice. 

I think Engineers are our main threat because they can play that keep away nonsense while casually killing apprentices at range. Best defence: leg it  at top speed towards them.

Farmers will probably be the main threat (for everyone) because they are just a little too good right now. Avoid scrum. Try to play football (because that is their one weakness).  

Always have a Sentinel model on pitch. Abusing Sentinel can make or break those flimsy apprentices. 

Always Hearth. 2” onna stick turns Alloy and Iron to 11. Iron’s counter becomes bonkers. 

Try to play football not mashball. BS can certainly wreck models but this can lead to piece trades. Our football skills when buffed are near Fishermen levels. We have so many 8” (or pseudo 8” with Give it a whack) that scoring is quite easy. 

And in my opinion drop Anvil & Sledge because they’re too slow and dependent on Anvil. A canny opponent will slow Anvil, limiting Sledge or exposing him for an easy takeout. Sledge is a disappointment to me. Too low INF, weak health, awful counter. He’s too dependent on Anvil (other apprentices happily roll without their master). He’s not awful and I’m sure I’ll be proved wrong, but every time I field A&S I wish I’d picked any two others, including Burnish & Cinder. 

23 hours ago, EpicChris said:

Smoke Alchemists are still a problem but now with Box2 we have the speed to engage. Will get mauled by Kat2 though. 

Can smoke kill the apprentices (iron, bolt, alloy typically) before they can get off the 3 goal runs in order to win or 2-1 (with vet kat witness me)? Is that the biggest issue we face with Smoke? 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:23 PM, EpicChris said:

I think Engineers are our main threat because they can play that keep away nonsense while casually killing apprentices at range. Best defence: leg it  at top speed towards them.

Ballista Engineers are quite scary to Blacksmiths I feel. Burnish feels like the right captain but I can't fathom having enough momentum early on to stop the barrage with reinforced plating. Ferrite with a speed first, punch later mentality. The problem is The ballista crew can score back just as effectively, and score a take out or two more than blacksmiths (this is theory though, haven't tried it yet). 

Smoke - we are scary fast now so I think this one is interesting. Not sure if I’d take Bolt/Farris or Furnace/Cast/Cinder. Ironically I’m not sure Burnish is great here. He auto puts conditions on us so Kat2 loves that and he’s not going to hit many of the Alchemists. I prefer Burnish into Brewers maybe Morts and Mirror. 

Engineers - There are a couple of options here. One is the Hearth tank. Can’t be KD at range and doesn’t care about ranged DMG output. She can then get bugged by Ferrite and Farris and smash into the opponent to generate momentum. Another option is Alloy. Risky as he dies after 4 engineer activations if they’ve taken a 4th shooter. Another option is Cinder KO threat. Kick the ball somewhere where Mother can’t easily get it. Then threaten a choice of KDing your kick off model OR getting the ball before Cinder kills it. 

I think BS bad matchups are Alchs (Smoke) Farmers (Midas) Masons (Hammer) & Fish (Corsair). I also personally Theron is very good into Blacksmiths, but that's my own opinion. 

When box 2 comes out, then we'll see the blacksmiths threat, bolt can target friendly models for the guaranteed knockdown, ferris can threaten nearly the whole board, alloy is too good not to run, Hearth -solid.

the only two I can see dropping from my ten are iron and sledge.

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

I think BS bad matchups are Alchs (Smoke) Farmers (Midas) Masons (Hammer) & Fish (Corsair). I also personally Theron is very good into Blacksmiths, but that's my own opinion. 

Did you mean Thresher instead Midas?

1 hour ago, LowBall said:

When box 2 comes out, then we'll see the blacksmiths threat, bolt can target friendly models for the guaranteed knockdown, ferris can threaten nearly the whole board, alloy is too good not to run, Hearth -solid.

the only two I can see dropping from my ten are iron and sledge.

would you bring Anvil without Sledge?