Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

Finished 1st Tournament

Played in a small local tournament. Was 9 players in total, but had very good players in it. My ten was Obulus, Scalpel, Dirge, Brainpan/Memory, Casket, Cosset, Ghast, Graves, Silence, and Skulk. 

Round 1 Match Verse Farmers

Farmer line up; Thresher, Buckwheat, Harrow, Jackstraw, Millstone, and Tater

Mort line up; Obulus, Dirge, Brainpan/Memory, Casket, Ghast, and Graves (Received)

This was my most dreaded match up for the day. I found even when I played it perfect, the Thresher "Farmer" team is the hardest by far for me to defeat. Things I picked up during the game. Brainpan/Memory are a constant harassment to Tater's counter charging. Also Casket uses all his tricks all game, he is constantly hitting enemies to trigger Heavy Burden, placing Ghostly Visage, and his rough ground really hurts this Farmer build. I was causing the opponent to waste momentum to glide constantly. Ghast just helped with momentum generating most the game, plus, because most players don't see him often, tend to forget to allocate for the Fear ability. The game came down to the clock in the end, and me activating fast enough to have one activation up on my opponent on the clock. I did miss a crucial tap in, at the end of turn two, which did make it much more difficult the rest of the game.

Round 2 Match Verse Union

Union line up; VRage, Strongbox, Benediction, Gutter, Minx, and Mist

Mort line up; Obulus, Dirge, Casket, Cosset, Graves, and Skulk

This match was pretty straight forward. The player was, playing in his first tournament. Not a lot to report on this one, I really was more of a Pundit mode during it. I helped him a lot and did a real amount of teaching. Showing him distances, etc, with VRage's abilities. It was good fun.

Round 3 Match Verse Masons 

Mason line up; Hammer, Marbles, Brick, Flint, Mallet, and Tower

Mort line up; Obulus, Dirge, Casket, Graves, Silence, and Skulk (Kicked Off)

The game again came down to the end. After the first turn I realized I made the mistake of taking Skulk and not Brainpan and Memory. I got too excited about Skulk verse Flint, and just didn't think it out. Hammer generally goes for a goal only when it is opportune, and don't push goals all game. It was more of scrum team build. Brainpan/Memory would have served my much better to stop the counter charging. I was able to  kick off with Obulus and take the ball right back. One thing I have noticed, a lot of players have forgot the play of Obulus or just Morticians in general which plays to our strengths. The game was very back and forth, I was able to get Mallet in the Casket turn three. I was really able to Casket every game I played. So Dirge had the ball wide of the pitch, but the pack of the rest of my Morts where on the opposite side, because of the threat of easy tap in with the bird, the Mason player sent Hammer wide to retrieve the ball. After that point, Hammer was a non issue most of the rest of the game. I played very patient, and would Puppet Hammer over and over, and making him keep backing away from the meat of the game. My best play was probably using my legendary on the last turn stealing his one momentum from home crowd, with Hammer in position to score a goal. I then killed Marbles to end the game with me having 11 at the time and the opponent having 8. 

No 4th Round; the pair down loss, thus ending the tournament after 3 rounds. I would have loved to get one more game in. The last game I almost dropped Scalpel, but this was going to be based on if I received on the kick off. I had knee slider and love pulling off, big damage activation from Scalpel turn one, heroic, score a goal, and then dodging 9", then second winding 7". Just really pisses opponents off. 

Thanks for posting a summary of your tournament. It's really interesting to see some Mortician comps that don't include Mist. What did you find you usually had for your score? Casket time, 2 take outs, and a goal, or did you more often go for a Casket time and 2 goals?

Can you do the 'Second wind" after scoring a goal?  I thought your activation ended the moment you scored.

Season 2 rulebook page 24, right by the pic of Vitriol; at the end of the section "Shooting at Goal".

I just found this in the clarifications section. To answer my own question- YES you can!  (I was robbed recently :( )

"Second wind is outside activation."

Scoring a goal ends the activation, Second Wind triggers when the activation ends - everything is right.

I usually pushed for at least one goal from Obulus, and then a "Casket Time", the rest are generally take outs. I did attempt a tap in with Dirge, and missed, but had an opening and passed the ball to Casket moving up the field, and had him then next activation do a tap in goal. He scored 8 points himself that game. I didn't have Mist painted at the time, but have used him in the past. Just feel like one goal, a casket, and other take outs work the best for me. I will push a second goal if they don't kill the ball on me, most players kill the ball when Obulus is on the pitch. The Farmer player killed the ball all game, running away with Jackstraw several turns, Mason player held the ball for two turns, because of the fear of Obulus just taking it back and scoring. Once I get to 8, the ball is never scene again, for obvious reasons. Though I held the ball some as well didn't want Flint getting a second score once I was up on points.