Sign in to follow this  
xpisoverrated

New Player Advice

Hi, would people recommend original Fisherman crew or Alchemists (Midas) crew as a first crew.

I like the way the stacking effects seem to work for the alchemists, but i think i slightly prefer the models from the fisherman crew, but not sure i'll get along with a mobility based crew.

Also does the 2 player starter come with season 2 or season 3 rules ?

Thanks

In regards to both learning a guild and the game at the same time I'd go for Fishmermen. There gameplan is somewhat more straight forward then the Alchemists. 

29 minutes ago, xpisoverrated said:

Hi, would people recommend original Fisherman crew or Alchemists (Midas) crew as a first crew.

I like the way the stacking effects seem to work for the alchemists, but i think i slightly prefer the models from the fisherman crew, but not sure i'll get along with a mobility based crew.

Also does the 2 player starter come with season 2 or season 3 rules ?

Thanks

As you haven't played the game, and aren't sure how it plays, I would go for aesthetics over play style. Once you learn how to play, and what play style(s) you prefer, you can then move onto another guild. Plus, as @ForestRambo says, the Fishermen are a simpler Guild to play.

The 2 player starter set (Kick-Off) comes with Season 3 rules and cards (everything you need to play a S3 game of Guild Ball).

Pick the guild you would like to paint and play with. I always pick the aesthetic I like and once I'm familiar enough with the game I can start seeking out things the initial pick might be missing or what I'd like to do rather. I'm learning Fishermen now as my "first guild", I played a few games with the Butchers and I have Hunters + Blacksmiths too. But Fishers seemed like a challenge in that they play ball rather that kill em all. And I usually always play kill em all in every other game so I wanted to learn the positioning game and play something very different. It's been uphill grind but I hope one I'll get there. 

If you do pick the Fishermen we could share ideas and thoughts as two starting players, might learn new things about the game pretty well. :) 

I still think the Kick Off set is the best bang for your buck if you are coming in new. You get all the things you need for 2 players to set up and learn the basics for a small investment... that you don't even have to worry about painting. If, after a few games you become addicted like me...then you can just start buying it all and learning to paint...and trying to remember what your loved ones actually look like. :P