Sign in to follow this  
mr baron

Pin Vice Kick Off Options

I have success kicking off with Velocity and with Pin Vice.  By that I mean I like the goal pressure they both provide and they have a high enough defense that attacks and character plays are not going to easily hit. I have also kicked off with Mother.  That brings a whole new dynamic to goal pressure. Not to mention the fact they don't dare leave the ball free after first activation.

Pin Vice threatens more but needs to be closer to score, side note she can just go kill someone instead.
Velocity can get around UM by herself but if a countergoal is off the table she doesn't do much except push dodge someone around.

Hoist needs mother to drop a nest marker, but after that he's in the same boat as pin vice by needing the ball carrier close to the goal to score. Hoist is also vulnerable to a counterattack tackle due to no close control. will take two turns to die against most teams.

I have also had success with Colossus kicking off near the edge.  Both with PV and Ballista.  Takes a chance on the ball going over the edge but you basically dare the other player to come get it.  If they do you can knock them off the edge with UA, but more often than not they see that trap and kick and dodge back in.  But then they have used their momentum from kicking the ball first activation.  Janky but it sometimes works.  Goal pressure is better though.

For teams that can put out a lot of damage, is Hoist our best option?  I do like the idea of Velocity kicking off to put pressure on the opposing team.

If I take Colossus, he is the kicker. I position him near the edge and try to catch someone who wanders too close. I cast alternator on him, so he would certainly get a grab on the enemy. Later I send Hoist with Tooled Up, Alternator, Deletion and Overclocked. He can do wonders.

If I don't use Colossus, I kick with Pin Vice gives a lot of pressure. If she doesn't get the ball, she can go for a kill.

Always Pin Vice for me. I try and get the ball to a spot where it won't be passed around for Momentum much and go in late with Pin Vice for some Tooled Up + Deletion fun.

Kicking with Pin Vice sounds interesting. Turn 1 I usually blast earth with ratchet and tooled up, deletioned Hoost. So no influence to give kick off pressure. 

This may be a giant mistake, I’m only returning to Engineers since this week. 

Kickoff with Velocity is okay I guess, but 1” melee range makes her not that great at scoring off a kick off. 

This may once again be a giant mistake on my part :D 

Kick-off to the side, usually the opponent will set-up more mobile and hence less resilient models to go and collect the ball on the wings.

And then, if the scatter is good enough, he might face a dilemma of either conceding the ball to you or presenting an easy target for Pin Vice to get a takeout.

38 minutes ago, Mattias said:

Kickoff with Velocity is okay I guess, but 1” melee range makes her not that great at scoring off a kick off. 

Velocity has a Tackle-Double Dodge in her playbook, don't forget that. :)