• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Nevassie

Zarola ..... and playing her well

So guys I have been playing guildball for under 6 months and have played hunters the entire time. I feel that I have a decent understanding of a majority of the players until we come to Zarola.

I have found the following general uses for her.

1. Midnight offerings - I do feel that this is her best ability, as I am sure most people here will agree. The ability to extend threat range on players or goal is huge. 

2. Damage potential - I have found some situations when chain bolas and a linked activation with Fahad can do the last 6 to 8 dmg you need on an enemy player. This is nice for 2 influence investment. 

3. Killing the ball - She has some ball killing abilities with unpredictable movement in conjunction with her other movement abilities.

4. Efficiency - It seems Zarola can get most of what she wants done with 2 influence or a blessing of the sun father. 

The problem with zarola is I feel she is very hard to use. Most times I find i have her out of position. She has weak defebsive stats and her play book is neat useless. 

Are there any more experienced players out there that can provide inshightful input on Zarola ? Are there particular teams you like her against ? Are there particular models you feel she is a must take with ?She seems to be the piece I take out the quickest to try other models, but at that moment I always seem to think "man I wish I had Zarola right now".

Honestly, I mainly use her for Midnight Offering...BUT....

Don't underestimate the usefulness of "Linked" with Fahad... a timely pass, 4" dodge from Give n' Go, and then linked activation next.... could potentialy suprise an opponent with a goal from Fahad. (May want to make sure you have an extra momentum to "Bonus Time" the goal kick.

She's like Ulfr, midnight offering and where'd they go are 2 awesomely powerful movement abilities but for us they are tucked away in otherwise poorly designed characters. There are some small nice plays and it sounds like you have those covered. I hope season 4 is kind to her. 

5 hours ago, Nevassie said:

4. Efficiency - It seems Zarola can get most of what she wants done with 2 influence or a blessing of the sun father.

In my experience she can have very meaningful activations with 2 influence _and_ a blessing, like snaring an opponent and pushing your beater in position, or pulling out someone from the reduced threat range of the snared opposing beater. Chain bolas is practically a Theron level pot shot. Of course it's not her common activation, but it happens if your list is not extremely low on influence, eg. you run Minx and you don't run the bear.

5 hours ago, Nevassie said:

The problem with zarola is I feel she is very hard to use. Most times I find i have her out of position. She has weak defebsive stats and her play book is neat useless.

Her playbook is a non factor, but def5 with UM is not exactly weak. I think she can be hard to use because she doesn't have trivial activations, like Minx > zero inf > find someone in 10 or 12 inches > charge > collect momentum, back to the shadows, done. That's why Minx never feels useless. However Zarola, besides punching dirt, can sometimes perform the most important activation of the turn or the whole game. Now it's a matter of taste if someone values this kind of player or not.

Zarola is on the face of the player Midnight Offering and while it's true it's what she will do 80% of the time it's not all she can do. Midnight Offerings applications are endless and one of the best character plays we have in the guild. It always give you a strong turn one, being able to ping players like Jaecar/Seenah up the field or to draw a player back like Theron / Egret after making some ranged Character plays. It can extend a goal run it wasn't once a goal run, it can disengage a player from players (as long as there isn't a reliable KD on the parting blow about). In a game where there is only 6 activations (normally) per turn, having that out of activation jog is a huge tool. 

Unpredictable Movement isn't anything to scoff at can keep her safe from really dangerous players (Cosset, Fillet, Meathook, vRage.. etc) and Linked is actually a really nice tool to have. Chain Bolas is a pretty standard play for 2 CP, but it is ideal set up for Zarola who can throw it out, 2 damage and Snared only to link with Fahad who on a 3/1 model (because snared) can put out 3-5 damage without anything else. It's a not crazy amount of damage but sometimes being able to throw 5-8 damage out before a player responds can grab you a low health player, which typically other players are after being shot by Theron and Harassed by Minx & Jaecar. 

In my Theron Golden 6 (Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Minx, oHearne & Zarola) Zarola normally sits on 0 every turn and hangs around a flank with Fahad and near Theron. If I do feel I need a MO it'll normally always be from a BotSF, which makes her a excellent battery player who has UM and in corner case situations can snag a take out. 

Sounds like you have a solid understanding of what she does and how to use her. She is, for the most part a walking character play that can normally do what she wants for little or no inf. Being a battery for others is useful in its self.

The issue sounds like position rather than role.

I play a lot of Theron hunters and almost always with her in the team.

She normally sits just left or right of central in my formation. Normally between Theron (central) and Fahard (closer to the wing) and normally behind where Theron is and preferably with cover. For me if she is not involved in a goal run there is little need to have her up as far as your front line just be conscious of range for Blessings so she is not left short.

Hope it helps

Man oh man, I love me some Zarola. While she definitely needs to have her playbook updated, since no player in the game should have a useless playbook (yeah, I'm looking at you too, Jac), she's my second favorite non-captain model on this team after only Jaecar.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first: yes, I use her almost exclusively for Midnight Offering. But the more I use it, the more applications I find for it. It makes our turn 1 threat so much stronger by getting a second player up the field to offer a second, non-Skatha threat to the enemy team (usually Jaecar, but can be just about anyone in the right situation). She can disentangle a model who's being shut down by reach (I've had Jaecar locked up by Mash a few too many times). It can make Theron's control game 100000000% more viable. it can provide unexpected Gang Ups. Midnight Offering is so strong that it justifies Zarola by itself.

But Unpredictable Movement, Light Footed, Def 5, and Chain Bolas means that she's not exclusively Midnight Offering. She can kill the ball pretty well, get around the pitch easily, be annoying for a lot of models to take out, and even contribute that once-in-a-lifetime charge to farm momentum or grab the ball. The more I play Zarola, the harder time I have swapping her out for everyone. To me, she feels super integral to the Hunters' hit-and-run style and fits both captains extremely well.