Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar Rok

Fish into Farmers Thursday Night GB Match

Facing the Farmers in a match tomorrow night.

If it's Grange, Peck, Windle, Harrow, Bushel, JackStraw, then i plan on running:

Shark, Salt, Greyscales, Jac, oSIren, Gutter(I don't own A&G)

If it's Thresher, Buckwheat, Millstone, Tater, and whoever else they plan on running:

Corsair, Tentacles, Greyscales, vSiren, Sakana, Gutter.

Thoughts? 

Am I crazy, daft, making glaring errors? 

We have a tourney in late January, and Fish are my original guild, so I'm practicing up with them.

I would take Shark and just play ball. You won't be able to out-fight Farmers, so I wouldn't even bother trying. Personally, I'd play Sakana instead of Gutter in your Shark team.

In a draft environment I would expect Farmers to draft Grange as I think Thresher doesn't want to see Corsair. In that case I'd draft Shark, farmers really do lack a good player to hide the ball on (though Busher at 5/1 isn't terrible) and play the ball game. 

7 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

In a draft environment I would expect Farmers to draft Grange as I think Thresher doesn't want to see Corsair. In that case I'd draft Shark, farmers really do lack a good player to hide the ball on (though Busher at 5/1 isn't terrible) and play the ball game. 

That's what I did last time against him, and had a decent game. Shark, Greyscales, and the bunch just bounced off of the Farmers like a pinball. I scored first, should have scored a second easily, but shite dice missed a tap in. The biggest issue is Windle, always Windle..he took out three people at 3 vps apiece.

You should at all costs trying to be spread out so Windle can only ever engage someone and constantly be moving to stop that from happening as MUCH as possible. It's not always possible, but by ensuring he's only ever getting to one person and hopefully sharks turn no one, you should be scoring faster then he kills, in theory. 

What ningu said.  When I played against Grange Farmers in our escalation league I ran: Shark, Salt, Sakana, Greyscales, Jac, and oSiren.  And it was very successful for me.  First and foremost, do not play their game.  You need to understand you will lose someone to Grange and Windle combo crap, but play all out ball and you will win the race.  Do not, and I repeat, do not bunch up.  At the most, decide who will get sacrificed and move on to scoring.  I don't think using my line-up with Corsair would be that bad, at least it would help you get the ball of the Farmers when they decide to play "stall ball," and they will after you score.

So, played the game last night and ran:

Fish

Shark

Salt

Sakana

vSiren

Greyscales

Hag

Farmers

Grange

Peck

Windle

Bushel

JackStraw

Harrow

I kicked off w/Shark, and my opponent, not familiar w/Sharks movement was like, "You can only jog him up, you can't run him to kick." 

I smiled and said, "This is his jog."

So, i Kick with Shark to the left of the pitch, and the Farmers are so slow they can't even get close to the ball. I get the ball with vSiren and promptly pass it over to Shark. The Farmers are still moving to the left of the pitch, leaving the right wide open.

Shark takes the ball in from pretty much no man's land, and gets into scoring position. I only have the 1 MoM, lose one dice from Grange, but I think it's Shark. I kick, and come up with a 1, 1, and  a 2.  MISSED! Plans go south. No MoM to Run the Length, next thing I know Shark is dead to frigging Windle. Well, that didn't go as planned.

0-3

Time to work out of this hole. 

I score pretty much in turn two with vSiren, another great scoring tool.  I have her Run the Length, wishing I'd have gotten the Knee Slider plot card. I figure she's safe and will be able to move out of Windle/Grange death ball.

4-3

Then on the toss in, he gets the ball to Bushel, and she has I'm Open, which I need to remember, and she does some nifty plays with JackStraw. That girl can score from almost the same distance as Shark. However, I've placed Salt in the path, which forces my opponent to kick with JackStraw. Stupid scarecrow makes it on two dice.

4-7

My opponent has 90% of his players on the left side of the pitch. Bad positioning on his part. I decide to take advantage of this and work the ball to the right. I toss the ball in, it goes to Greyscales, he maneuvers over to get the ball to Sakana. I activate Hag, she Reels Sakana. My opponent is meanwhile has vSiren pinned down. I don't worry about her at the moment. Sakana pops smoke on himself, moves up the empty right side of the pitch, and promptly scores. So, before the game I read and re read my cards. I tried to think of some cool stuff to do with Sakana and his smoke. I brought Hag because she brings 2 INF, but doesn't need any to do stuff, and I could use her to tie up Windle with Fear. 

8-7

Now I feel pretty good about it. My biggest issue is vSiren on 5 health, trapped down at the other end. My opponent throws the ball in, and gets it up to Bushel. That is probably the best ball threat on the Farmers. She can do some really crazy stuff, and her move is dynamic. I think her and JackStraw work really well together, and he scores with Bushel. I don't remember what turn we're on when she scored. 

8-11

I throw the ball in, and it goes right to Shark. Turn ends.

My opponent wins the initiative, but is leery to give me the second turn because he knows I can get the ball into his end, already have the 1 MoM for going second. If he lets me go first, he realizes that I can get Shark to the end of the pitch, and score as well, bouncing off  a farmer or two on the way. It literally takes him five minutes to decide whether he wants to go first or second.

He opts to go first, and takes vSiren to zero. She gets her 1 back, clears conditions, and dodge 4" away. But, alas, Grange follows her and kills her a second time.

8-13

So, mistakes were made. I trusted that Shark would score that first goal. He only needed a damn 3, but I didn't have enough MoM to boost his shot, and him missing put me in a hole. Shark dying is not the end of the world. He is so fast and capable of doing things he can get back into the game ASAP. 

I forgot to play Plot Cards, AGAIN. I am from now on, just going to play them face up so they are always in front of me. Opponent be damned. I also forgot to give myself the extra influence for scoring my first goal.

This was my second game against Farmers with this team. I didn't miss Kraken, but I should have taken oSiren. I had already put vSiren in the 10, and didn't feel right about switching her for oSiren...too damn honest for my own good. Even tho I knew I should have.

Hag is solid, so solid.  She will be in this lineup all the time. 

Sakana is good, and his smoke gives him, and other players movement, and shenanigans. 

I feel like I am almost there with cracking the Grange Farmer nut. 

Thank you all for your advice, tips, lineup suggestions. I feel bad for my Skatha Hunters, they will be on the shelf until months end. 

One of the things that has improved my game a lot is trying not to score with shark right away, but saving him for the end of the turn.  That might be something to consider on your turn one planning. 

1 hour ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

One of the things that has improved my game a lot is trying not to score with shark right away, but saving him for the end of the turn.  That might be something to consider on your turn one planning. 

I was thinking that, as he missed, and I watched him die. I see that open pitch, and balls in his hands. 

I read in the forums, that Sakana is a better "Baby Shark", to use and sac if necessary.

4 hours ago, Furnace said:

Thank you very much for that write up, it was a good read! 

Thank you. That's very kind. I try to get my games out so I can remember where I messed up, and hopefully provide some entertainment, but also I want  other  players to let me know what I need to do to get better.