Sign in to follow this  
EpicChris

Weird Forum error?

For the past couple of weeks I've been seeing the quote/respond bars appearing right through the middle of messages (well just after text has finished) rather than at the bottom as per normal. I've tried various browsers and machines - is this just me? Or is anyone else seeing this?

I’m aware of it, but I can’t find anything that would be causing it as yet.

It seems to be happening on chrome from what I’ve already heard, which leads me to believe that something in the latest forum software/chrome update has caused a glitch. 

I’ve reported it to the software people, hopefully the next update clears it. But who knows...

If anyone isn’t using chrome and is seeing this problem, let me know.

FWIW, it's been happening to me for the last several months, not weeks.

If anyone wants a fix, install the Chrome extension called "Stylish" and add a custom style for the domain "forums.steamforged.com" with the following contents:

.focus-post-bar .cTopic .ipsItemControls
{
    margin-left: 0 !important;
    padding-left: 0 !important;
}

That at least makes the bar not hover over the avatar/title section.

19 hours ago, RedSam said:

If anyone wants a fix, install the Chrome extension called "Stylish" and add a custom style for the domain "forums.steamforged.com" with the following contents:

{
}

Sounds like the SF team can take this and apply that snippet to the css for crome on their end, after a test or two.

The company that provides the forum software isn't quite so keen on us fiddling in their code, so while I can discuss it with them (which I'm doing, though the holiday is making it slow going) we can't just casually chuck stuff into the CSS. 

Meantime, I'm glad @RedSam has a fix for people :) 

Another interesting point is that in both his post and where I quote it, the element that hold the reply and quote and like parts shows in the correct place.  Which once you give that info as well to the web dev team they should be intrigued enough to do something.  Good luck Mako

On 31.12.2017 at 10:56 PM, mcs1213 said:

Another interesting point is that in both his post and where I quote it, the element that hold the reply and quote and like parts shows in the correct place.  Which once you give that info as well to the web dev team they should be intrigued enough to do something.  Good luck Mako

That's probably because both of those posts are long enough, so the bar doesn't overlap with the stuff on the left side of the text field. 

Edit:

image.thumb.png.21b2401e1958b9b9bf775d1f64ec9cc9.png

So if I do this, it should work.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:17 AM, RedSam said:

{
}

Thank you. That worked great.

Hey - has anyone else noticed the flash content not loading on SFG's main site either? Doesn't seem to matter which browser I use (I tried Edge, IE and Chrome for reference) but I can't get the cool stuff to load. I was trying to read the new blog entry today and it took me a while to get to it and when I finally did no images loaded. 

This was bugging me, so I got a hold of the Stylish extension @RedSam suggested and spent a while fiddling with the CSS. Not being able to change the structure threw me for a loop a few times, but I finally got it to display more-or-less as I think it should be;

.ipsItemControls
{
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 10px;
    left: 200px;
    right: 15px;
}

.ipsType_normal.ipsType_richText.ipsContained, .ipsComment_content.ipsType_medium.ipsFaded_withHover, 
.ipsColumn.ipsColumn_fluid
{
    position: static;
}

body.ipsApp .cPost .cPost_contentWrap
{
    position: static;
    padding-bottom: 55px;
}

This definitely works on my own computer, but it may need tweaking on another.

We’ve had an update today, so there’s a possibility it will resolve with a cache clearing. Hopefully. 

If not, well... I’ll keep pushing it, maybe next go round it’ll get fixed!

I have a different issue I wanted to ask about (and there is no section on the forum for technical issues) - I can see my old signature on my posts again, but there is no way to edit it (the links are oooooooooooold), either in post or via profile. Are signatures coming back (yay!) or is this just some bizarre glitch due to the forum update (only noticed it last couple of days so might coincide)?

@S_A_T_S that’s just because I’ve been poking stuff, they’ll be vanishing again soon ;)

Edit: but I will set up a technical support section, that’s a good idea