Sign in to follow this  
Jedianakinsolo

Guildball for the New Guys - Surviving your Opponent's Next Activation

Follow up to the article from a few weeks ago, How to get through an Activation, is another one focused on newer players. Surviving your Opponent's next activation. This one will focus on Defensive Stance, Counter Attack, when to do one, the other, both and how to maximize their efficiency with positioning and character plays.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmidwestwargaming.com%2Fguildball-new-guys-surviving-opponents-next-activation%2F&h=ATNDXQiwPdw2FyMBLXqdRq64pLspUYXrto0QDatVs9HsfJU7Uk2bRYU95kPbqgl-M2O-shddaLPUbn-zSp-H7WBVitUIBePy8FG-rNv1c1LGVNIgNF6mpF1ZFLDvUynNibULvMpD9AmRakM_HL9eCc4tLiSRQxdBp6U0atRiUxiRV4EZZ8YNaBwg7TPY_4flW9qpfK4uhBm_Yz9vQU2IkWDiioIy8c9HX_O0AaMFMadbPdMqffdVo_bZXHEn1w

2 hours ago, Mootaz said:

Just a quick note: If you trigger Sturdy in Corsair, he cannot reapply it for 1 INF. Gaining Sturdy again after having it triggered does not refresh it.

I had not heard that.  Is there a rules clarification for that?

24 minutes ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

I had not heard that.  Is there a rules clarification for that?

Does there need to be? Stand firm gives out the rule Sturdy, which is a rule Corsair already has. The fact that it has triggered does not mean Corsair has lost the rule, so since you can’t stack multiple effects with the same name you can’t apply Sturdy to someone who already has it.

From the Collected Clarifications:

First Time/Next Time: This means the first or next time after an effect was applied 
(remember that this does not overrule any Once Per Turn limits a play or trait may have).

Just want to say @Jedianakinsolo that this was a superb article. Detailed and an in-depth look at all the considerations that go into def stance and countering, arguably the hardest part of the game to "get right".

I remember reading your articles when I played warmachine, so I'm glad to see you made the switch over to guildball as well.

Only comment is that the vassal diagrams are always going to be clearer for examples than the in game photos, especially if the in game photos don't have labels. 

Keep up the good work.