Sign in to follow this  
Steveedoug

Brewers Minor Guild - What will it be?

What are peoples thoughts on what our minor guild will be? And what will they do? 

The thought I had was the Coopers Guild. Traditionally cask makers so makes sense with the link to Brewers. Not sure how different they would be to the Brewers in what they do, maybe trick barrels or something. What are peoples thoughts? 

On 1/16/2018 at 10:17 AM, Frankanelli said:

Fixed that for you 

I like the way you think.  

So, as a current minor Guild, who should they play for?  Farmers?

I would like to see a Musicians Guild. Have a Tuba/Sousaphone goalkeeper, a lute striker, a drummer defensive midfielder who buffs the team, etc. I guess this could possibly fall into the realm of Entertainers Guild too. They seem like they fit in with the Brewers the best thematically wise compared to other major guilds because who doesn't enjoying going to the pub, pounding a few brews, and listening to music?

Sherwin did say at steamcon UK last year that pelage was a lady of the night, and that that was the closest that guild ball was getting to a seamstress. So it’s not likely to be those (thankfully :D ). 

And with all the options available from the highly clannish brewers, the criminal gang links, and the guild ball world, I think going for a thieves’ guild would be a really cliché option. 

Distillers, innkeepers, maybe an undercity gang of particular note, that’s the kind of thing I’m anticipating.

Though of course it doesn’t have to be such an obvious fluff tie in - ratcatchers are really only tied to the morticians by vGraves’s fluff, after all. So it could be a kind of oblique tie in from a side note of a current character's backstory that no one has thought of yet!

Distillers (especially) or Innkeepers (to a somewhat lesser extent) would be super close to the Brewers, though, making the identity kinda mushy between them. I doubt it would be something that close.

And I dunno that Thieves are all that cliche. Or I mean, of course they are, but I'm not sure that SFG have tried to steer away from the cliches so far and I'm sure that the execution would be plenty distinct and innovative. And finally, Thieves' Guild doesn't mean that everyone in it would be pickpockets and burglars but rather general organized crime allowing for a very wide variety of characters. Probably not called the Thieves Guild, though, as that seems kinda illegal for a Guild so maybe Loansharks Guild or Honest Businessmen Guild or something :P 

14 hours ago, Toqtamish said:

Innkeepers makes sense as that would be a source of sales for the brewers. 

On the other hand, they are known to have their hands in organized crime. I could imagine something around the lines of city guards, controling in's and out's of wares throughout the cities and getting rid of "unwanted an nosey" individuals that could interfer with their work. Some form of corrupt innerstate enforcement... people. Basically the Mafia in the uniforms of guards, lowlife politicians and executives.