Sign in to follow this  
Chapuzas

How do i play Midas well?

Hello

Recently I am learning with alchemists and I have been very helpful the post of "How do i play Smoke well?"

I thought about opening this post with the same sense but with our other beloved captain midas.

I hope to learn a lot from your knowledge :)

I basically use him as a snap shot turret. 

My basic game plan is try and get a goal in early turn 2, hopefully getting a few players in his legendary, and leave him sitting in tap in for the rest of the game. 

He's hard to pin down and can collect to ball from there in later turns. 

Have a player on each wing (Vitriol, Mist, Decimate and Venin) and a midfielder or 2 (Kat 1, Crucible, even compound). 

Everyone's job revolves around getting the ball and if they can't shoot, getting it to Midas. 

Remember that you don't need momentum in the bank to snap shot. Of Midas gets the ball then the successful kick and showboating pay for it. All those momentus tackles are bonus times. 

If Midas is in goal range, but hasn't activated I find it's better to take the snap shot, rather than waiting for his activation. It gives you another activation to retrieve the ball and shoot with him, and if he misses he can just walk up and shoot again. 

That said don't rush a winning goal. Showboat him to a safe location if you can. 

Remember to bonus time as many kicks as you can afford to 

I have been using Midas exclusively since his nerf and I have had quite a bit of success with him. He's still way too much of a threat to leave alone. If he gets the ball, he basically still scores. He's still excellent at generating MOM as well. 

I tend to use him more as a tarpit-MOM farm and then, when I see an opportunity, have him run and get a ball and score. People will tend to invest way too much in trying to stop Midas, so, even if he's not involved directly in the action, he's still doing his job, being too glorious to ignore. 

On 31/12/2017 at 9:43 PM, The Glorious One said:

I have been using Midas exclusively since his nerf and I have had quite a bit of success with him. He's still way too much of a threat to leave alone. If he gets the ball, he basically still scores. He's still excellent at generating MOM as well. 

I tend to use him more as a tarpit-MOM farm and then, when I see an opportunity, have him run and get a ball and score. People will tend to invest way too much in trying to stop Midas, so, even if he's not involved directly in the action, he's still doing his job, being too glorious to ignore. 

How much inf do you put on him on average each turn ?

9 hours ago, Mezawockee said:

How much inf do you put on him on average each turn ?

I usually max him out. I mostly do attacking with him or taking the ball away from the other team. I just keep him forward and let him do what the game dictates.  I honestly barely ever use lure of gold except maybe in the first turns. 

just posted in another thread!!

This gives me some ideas but who else am i taking?

Vitriol doesn't seem that good - because her shadowlike is dependant on other players. And a lot of them are a bit weak. 

When i played midas agaginst pinvice the rest of the team (and midas) got wrecked, and i couldnt get the ball back, and i couldnt get takeouts.

Who else are people taking with midas?

Midas is a bit better against Ballista, but I tend to take an all 5def team against Fungineers anyway.

i think sometimes worry a bit too much about maximizing goal threat potential. Even without the extra 2” she still has a natural 17” threat without a charge and is still one of the better ball stealers in the game.

Compound is always a good choice, since he doesn’t need inf to be effective. If you want to football having Mist as a triple threat is pretty nasty.

I also love crucible, but I’m in the minority there.

14 hours ago, The Glorious One said:

I also love crucible, but I’m in the minority there.

I love her as well :) Even starting to get some decent value out of her as a situational striker and some control piece. 

14 hours ago, The Glorious One said:

Midas is a bit better against Ballista, but I tend to take an all 5def team against Fungineers anyway.

This however is a bit weird for me. If the engineers kill the ball on Velocity and hide her behind Ballista, Hoist and Locus it's insanely difficult to retrieve the ball. In the meantime the engineers bombard the frail alchemists and I don't see Midas winning this reliably . And this is a match-up I've been playing many, many times. Smoke vs Ballista is a straining and long attrition game, but I'm way more confident with her than with Midas against Engineers.

On 1/30/2018 at 4:43 AM, Edek said:

I love her as well :) Even starting to get some decent value out of her as a situational striker and some control piece. 

This however is a bit weird for me. If the engineers kill the ball on Velocity and hide her behind Ballista, Hoist and Locus it's insanely difficult to retrieve the ball. In the meantime the engineers bombard the frail alchemists and I don't see Midas winning this reliably . And this is a match-up I've been playing many, many times. Smoke vs Ballista is a straining and long attrition game, but I'm way more confident with her than with Midas against Engineers.

That’s not how the people who play engineers by me play, I suppose. Though Midas is pretty good at actually getting to places. He’s much more able to deal with close control as well. 

With 6 tac as opposed to 4 and a potential +2 net hits. He’s just a more aggressive piece than smoke. 

Ive found that if Smoke’s trick doesn’t work, she’s screwed. She’s also far more fragile imo and isn’t nearly as good at generating MOM.

and, I like to play the odds with engineers. With Def 5 across the board, they just aren’t getting as much offense unless the dice hate and no amount of anything can help that.

I suppose Engineers can hide the ball on Velocity, but at some point you can get them out of position.  And what I mean by this is: when they give the ball to Velocity and hide her behind Ballista, Hoist, and Locus....you don't just rush in.  They have to move in order to hit you with their ranged attacks and when they do try to get them out of position and go in.

You know they can deal dmg from 11,5" away? That's more than Midas' threat range and Vitriol needs a dodge to reach that far. However Vitriol gets Taken Out in one turn from full. And ballista can go for a Deadbolt and go back with Second Wind. Stalling them isn't really an option IMO

How's that running in and getting face smashed working out?  You'll never eliminate their ranged attacks, but you can limit their effectiveness.  Utilize obstacles and barriers to maximize line of sight and cover.  Remember, the whole point is to make them "move" and get them out of position, but if you want to continue to run into them and play "their" game...go ahead.  Nothing is ever perfect, but playing by your opponents strategy automatically puts you behind.

Midas, he's quite the interesting toolkit for the Alchemists.

He's not very influence hungry either, but give him a full stack and he'll get mostly any ball or a chance for a goal. After the changes I played Smoke a time, but I pretty quickly went back to Midas. However, I did change how I play him. The first turns I often use him for setup, pull in a model together with Vitriol for a massive Katalyst beatdown. Alternatively, he can with 3-4 influence make a goalrun or just Lure of Gold someone out of range or into range as needed.

I think to play Midas "well" you need to think of him not only as a striker, but as a part of the setup for a Takeout as well, an attacking midfielder as he so aptly is. He's not a pure goal machine anymore, ironically enough, he's become more a support captain that happens to be a decent striker.