Sign in to follow this  
dire_kobold

Cogs sure are a quiet bunch...

Just an observation.  I've noted that compared to the other guilds, we don't seem to be near as talkative (as far as forums/Facebook/blogs/etc. go, I've no idea as to personally).  I know of some battle report videos, and that's about it.  Maybe just the personality type that is attracted to the aesthetic of the models and/or playstyle.  I'd like to think that I play at a medium skill level (but probably only on my best days), so I've never really had anything to contribute to strategy and the like.  Locally, I'm probably a chatterbox on game night, but not really as much online.  Wondering if everyone else is similar?  Or maybe it just seems that the other guilds are more vocal?

Any thoughts?  Also, please feel free to prove me wrong, as I'd love to have some additional cog specific resources available.

Honestly, I think half the reason the cogs aren’t as chatty is that the guild overall is pretty well balanced. Also a lot of the strategies for the engineers have already been laid out pretty well, ignoring the occasional thread with some fringe character choices or setups.

In short, we know what we like and nobody on the guild is so overpowered or terrible that it warrants discussion. Contrast that with the brewers who have a thread every other day asking why Stave is Stave.

An observation.

With the new guilds on the block, the Farmer's and the Blacksmith's, I had actually thought every guild's sub-forum would be booming on how to handle them, but it seems Engineers and Masons are still quite... quiet. I see a post every 4-5 days or so, while the others sub-forums are booming with posts every day. 

I'm guessing it's mostly because our Guilds have been relatively untouched by recent events, and that the guilds are also relatively balanced.

PS: Mason's have basically given up whining about Granite and Chisel. :P

I think/hope things will get shaken up a bit when Harriet "The Hat" comes along - and possibly whenever the minor guild appears too. Engineers have been a fairly rare sight in my meta though - I'm not sure how popular they actually are, but I believe the models/theme rather than playstyle have something to do with it. Blacksmiths, Masons and Brewers are the popular teams for us cave dwelling troglodytes in Scotland it seems.

Counterpoint: Engineers are so finely tuned that there's nothing to discuss.

Additional counterpoint: Talk is for fleshy meat bag things. Cogs have no need for that.

5 hours ago, Nykolae said:

With the new guilds on the block, the Farmer's and the Blacksmith's, I had actually thought every guild's sub-forum would be booming on how to handle them, but it seems Engineers and Masons are still quite... quiet. I see a post every 4-5 days or so, while the others sub-forums are booming with posts every day. 

I'm guessing it's mostly because our Guilds have been relatively untouched by recent events, and that the guilds are also relatively balanced.

PS: Mason's have basically given up whining about Granite and Chisel. :P

Both are guilds that are lower than normal Df, which means that Engineer character plays will be more effective. (well easier to make sure it hits anyway). So no major plan shifts to engineer game plans from what I see.

1 hour ago, dire_kobold said:

This is oVelocity almost every single time for me...lol

I had this too, weirdly just after she broke her "ankle". I didn't play her til a friend pinned her leg.

Maybe machines have feelings too?

I have told my two straight misses with PV and OVelocity with 9 dice total several times.  A couple days ago I had Ratchet kick to Pin Vice on the wing 6" from the edge and he missed.  The ball scattered off the pitch then straight to OGraves. Who then scored from Tap-In range.  That's how my Cogs rolls go.

Oh man, the number of times I've rolled 4 dice on a pass or kick and only had 1 die come up a success... or worse, none of them.  I've had 3 games so far which I had won, except for the bad passes.  It does feel like Engineer dice are cursed or something.