Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

Scalpel or Obulus

Looking at different match ups, and want to see if you all feel about the same way. I'm not looking at a build using Union, since that crutch will fade soon. How do you all see the match up verse certain teams/captains?

Alchemist: Midas-Obulus and Smoke-Scalpel

Blacksmiths: Think it's Scalpel alone she does a lot of hurt and only needs the tool up to rip into them pretty bad.

Brewers: Obulus for both but don't think Scalpel plays bad into them at all

Butchers: Obulus, he is hard for them to hold down, and can set up Casket time, plus steal a turn with his legendary play

Engineers: Obulus for both

Farmers: Again feel Obulus really messes them up, though Scalpel into Grange isn't bad

Fishermen: Shark-Obulus, and Corsair-Scalpel

Hunters: Can I pause and just say this is my most hated team to play, they slow the game down to a crawl, and suck all the fun out. Think Obulus likes both, but Scalpel does well.

Mason's: Hammer-Scalpel and Honor-Scalpel (this is by far my hardest match up, not sure about others)

Union: I play all Obulus into these three guys.

I am thinking Obulus into Blacksmiths.  I have not played with Morticians into Blacksmiths yet, but my buddy has been playing them, and I am hoping to get a game in over the holiday week.  I am thinking that a Obulus-Silence-Cosset combo can really mess around with their order of activations.  Since they are a goal scoring team, they are very dependent on the set up synergy which is what an Obulus team wants to do. 

14 hours ago, LouisvillePitch said:

Corsair-Scalpel

Others I can kinda figure out but why Scalpel against Corsair? All that 2" reach seems like it would be crazy annoying for Scalpel and there's not all that much Armor necessarily (especially since Corsair himself is nigh indestructible so can be taken out mostly only if the opponent makes a mistake). I guess that the Influence transfer can be cool in some situations and Second Wind is always welcome but Obulus still seems to have better tricks?

Scalpel spreads the field more I feel against Corsair, and she can have Cosset lure early activated models, Scalpel goes in and kills then second winds out of Corsair's threat range. Though Obulus plays into him as well. Also stealing Corsair's influence and loading say the Hag up and tentacles works nicely, really screwing him up, and what his list wants to do.

In my opinion Scalpel is a serviceable captain but Obulus is better in every situation. I played her a few times to try her out and have an understanding but the 2" reach, UM, PM, and generating 5 inf means she never sees the pitch.

it's gotta be obulus.all day. I've never been in a situation playing obulus and thought 'theres nothing I can do here'

Sure, Ive put myself into bad spots but I've never felt the character lacks options. 

Scalpel is a strong captain in any other guild and ironically, is better than obulus at both fighting and football. 

scalpel is ridiculously weak due to the amount of 2" dodge, 2" push or push dodge other teams field. sure she can get around it once with her legendary, but i'd rather have a captain that doesnt get hosed by a fairly common playbook result

I'm still relatively new to the game, and to Morticians. Scalpel was the first captain I tried, because I really liked the model. In my experience, she just seems to lack a clear advantage over Obulus. In general, she seems to not have a strong niche. She doesn't have the damage and tools to be a strong damage threat. Additionally, some of her abilities seem weak. Tormented Agony could be really useful in ideal scenarios, but in many cases it seems you just shuffled around some influence and gain a small advantage, and possibly put your captain in a precarious spot to do that. Her legendary, similarly, seems underwhelming. Since the targets move directly towards you, most of the time you don't want to pull more than one model. She's a generalist, but even Obulus seems to be a better generalist.

When compared with what Obulus does, Scalpel is often underwhelming. Puppet Master and Confidence are both very high impact plays. His ult is a huge threat. He can even do influence swapping at range. So, I struggle to see situations where Scalpel brings more to the table than Obulus. Disregarding things like UM, 2 inch reach, and shadow-like he just impacts the board so much more. 

So when would I bring Scalpel? Mostly for style points or because I want a different style of play. But I think in terms of raw game impact, it's very hard to make a case for her over Obulus. I would love to see her have something more stand-out in terms of abilities.

Considering quite a few people seem to think there's little reason to pick Scalpel; what changes do you think would need to be made for her to be a valid pick in at least certain situations? (I'm looking at getting Morticians maybe and hearing one of the captains is pretty much on the sideline makes me sad.)

1 hour ago, Lena said:

Considering quite a few people seem to think there's little reason to pick Scalpel; what changes do you think would need to be made for her to be a valid pick in at least certain situations? (I'm looking at getting Morticians maybe and hearing one of the captains is pretty much on the sideline makes me sad.)

- Shorter, denser playbook with accesible KD

So it's like:

:1: / :T:

mom :1::><: / :2: 

mom :2::P:

mom :2::<: / :KD:

mom :3::<:

mom :3::P: / :4::><:

- Lightning Reflexes to play around some defensive tech 

That would make me think about playing her - for now it's Obulus in every match. She is no competition for the Ferryman.

Other way is making VooDoo Strings a heroic play (probably reducing the range or affecting just one model) and giving her a brand new legendary. 

On 12/21/2017 at 9:30 PM, PaW said:
10 hours ago, el009 said:

- Shorter, denser playbook with accesible KD

So it's like:

:1: / :T:

mom :1::><: / :2: 

mom :2::P:

mom :2::<: / :KD:

mom :3::<:

mom :3::P: / :4::><:

- Lightning Reflexes to play around some defensive tech 

That would make me think about playing her - for now it's Obulus in every match. She is no competition for the Ferryman.

Other way is making VooDoo Strings a heroic play (probably reducing the range or affecting just one model) and giving her a brand new legendary. 

I like this. Maybe the third column could be non-mom :2::><: / :KD::<:? The :T: should probably be higher too a la Morticians being pretty average in that regard.

How crazy would Scalpel be if her Legendary Play was just a 3" push for everyone within 8"?

5 hours ago, The Old Buzzard said:

Tormented A to be within 6” not P would help.

That would make Scalpel a terror.  She'd be able to negate two models by taking out one.

On 07/01/2018 at 3:11 PM, MechMage said:

That would make Scalpel a terror.  She'd be able to negate two models by taking out one.

By putting extra influence on a model she is about to delete?