dtjunkie19

Blacksmiths Kicking Set Play - "Name TBD"

Hi all, 

Wanted to share one of the kicking strategies I have been using with my blacksmiths that I have found to be quite effective. It is a very aggressive, explosive style of play. Note, I'm not claiming that I am necessarily the first to think of this - it's pretty straightforward - but I think it is good and worth sharing! My go to lineup for this has been: Ferrite (c), Iron, Hearth, Alloy, Furnace, Cast. That doesn't mean it couldn't work with some changes. The key models are Ferrite as captain, iron, hearth, and alloy. The last two spots are more flexible. 

The general setup is as follows:

Alloy kicking. 

Hearth next to Alloy.  Furnace nearby iron. Iron next. Ferrite on the wing, but still relatively close to the center. Ideally you want Ferrite within 6" of as many models on your team as possible - certainly Alloy, Iron at minimum.  On the other side of alloy, hearth and cast (or cinder). 

Alloy advances and kicks - no specific goals with the kickoff, do whatever kind of kick seems the best - make sure alloy is within 6" of hearth at the end of his kick off advance. 

Allocation - 4 on Alloy and Iron, 2 on hearth, 1 on furnace. Last influence is flexible - can put it on hearth or ferrite. 

First activation - Ferrite legendaries, advances, Get Over Here on Iron to position him up to 6" forward. If she has 1 on her, she can acrobatics towards the wing a bit to spread out for positioning for later turns. Next activations hearth buffs iron with 2" melee, instructs either iron or alloy depending on board state, advances 6"(should be within legendary). Furnace tools up iron, advances to within 1" of either Iron or Alloy if either of them is threatened by an opponents' model (for sentinel - obviously not needed vs. a ranged gunline team). 

Last 2 activations you send Alloy and Iron zooming across the board. Order depends on board state. If your opponent kills the ball from Alloy, but also makes it so they can't score that turn, then you can send in Alloy to get dirty knives off, do some damage and generate momentum. If they keep it live for them to score, you can hold alloy back last activation as basically a guaranteed snapback goal. Tooled up, 2" melee Iron threatens 10" before impetus from the up to 6" he already dodged up previously. You can either use Impetus to get him into someone holding the ball and go for the goal, or pick a vulnerable target and try to take them out or generate a bunch of damage and momentum to carry you into turn 2. Tooled up Iron is pretty likely to do around 11-12 damage vs. a 4/1 model, and really starts to excel against 3/1 or other lower defensive stat combinations. 

The ideal outcome of this first turn setup is a goal and getting a takeout ready for top of 2. However, even in the worst case you should be able to position aggressively, generate a bunch of momentum, get damage out, and threaten the ball. The best part is that both Iron (through Ferrite) and Alloy have built in yo-yo mechanics - you can pull Iron out turn 2 if he is getting into a bad position either before or after he activates, and alloy naturally is bouncing in, out, and around the scrum with back to the shadows. 

Alloy is my go-to kicker, and grabbing 2" melee off Hearth makes him an incredible ball-pressure model; pretty sure he's scored first activation in 3/4 games where I've kicked with him

Your 6 is my "default" and you've largely described my first turn macro, with the exception that Alloy will grab a goal as soon as it is available.

Yes, to clarify I also have alloy grab a goal if it is available. I was describing more of the specific case if the opponent keeps the goal off of the table for a few activations by keeping it dead.

Looks good. Ive played a lot with having Hearth kick off to get her moving as soon as possible. I quite like her being in a position to be a KD/instruction bot. That said Having been an alchemists player for a long time, having that kind of pressure on the ball is very strong and likely the 'right' play in most games where you kick. 

I've played around with this opening and I can say without a doubt it is one of the most pressuring KO's I can think of. Alloy and Iron will be the last two activations (Ideally) and both threaten most of the opponents side of the pitch and can easily score... potentially from Tap-In range as well. With a poor reaction/kick scatter/activation after the goal it's not crazy to think you might get another! Even if neither goal goes off and you will likely be able to gather enough momentum to ensure first turn in round 2 and leave someone in a bad position to die to iron early as thats what a fully loaded, Use This, Tooled Up, Instruction'd Iron is want to do!!! Also with Alloy kicking you have vitriol/mist level pressure from their first activation... very very strong opening!

I left the influence on Hearth and Furnace just to show the allocation, but this would be board state leaving Alloy and Iron to activate. The Auras on each of them represent max move and the second is max threat. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 8.56.45 PM.png

Yep love this play. I'm also a big fan of Farris & Bolt - same play but put Quick Foot on Iron/Alloy as required for some hilarious threat ranges (while walking!) or to boost momentum/INF efficiency of the striking models. I also like it as it puts 5 strikers (Iron, Alloy, Bolt, Farris, Ferrite) within strike range for turn 2. Also Bolt's headbang KD can cause opponents endless annoyance and is a great little toolbox. I mean a 24" striker range is vaguely useful... :)

1 hour ago, kaladorm said:

I've been on the verge of dropping Blacksmiths after a handful of games with box 1, but this nonsense makes me want to try them more. Roll on February I guess :)

You really need to play them with both boxes. Box one is a rough go alone. The above play makes me super happy. I am certain that the better players will be able to deal with it but many players just wont and even one bad activation from them will leave you in a dominant position going into turn 2.

Keep on playing em! Its the most fun I've had playing GB in some time after maining alchemists and smashing my head into the Smoke wall repeatedly.... 

3 hours ago, EpicChris said:

Yep love this play. I'm also a big fan of Farris & Bolt - same play but put Quick Foot on Iron/Alloy as required for some hilarious threat ranges (while walking!) or to boost momentum/INF efficiency of the striking models. I also like it as it puts 5 strikers (Iron, Alloy, Bolt, Farris, Ferrite) within strike range for turn 2. Also Bolt's headbang KD can cause opponents endless annoyance and is a great little toolbox. I mean a 24" striker range is vaguely useful... :)

Ill have to give them a try. Ive put the least amount of time and games into Farris and Bolt so far. I owe them some playtime soon