Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

When to Casket?

During many games, there has come a time of deciding to Casket Time, or hold it for later. It is one of the hardest decisions to make, I feel like opponents see it coming, and will put a model in place for it, that creates a lost activation, but also isn't that important to their list as a whole though. This has recently led me to holding the Casket Time for a better model, but there is a fear that if I don't pull the trigger, I could loose those points. My question is do you all just take it as soon as possible or hold it for better targets?

In rare circumstances I will hold onto it. In general though I think if you have the chance then go for it. Sure we'd all love to stick there captain in their box every game. However, regardless of who you put in the box that is still at the minimum +2vp and an extra activation in the next turn.

Its a good question.  In general I would say, "put'em in the box!"  But here are my thoughts on things to consider.

-  Points are points.  If it puts you in a better position to win, take the points.

-  If you are in the end game phase, use Casket Time as there is a chance that you will not get a better opportunity.  I have seen a lot of players hold on to their legendary plays and then never use them. 

-  At the beginning of the match (turns 1 & 2), I can see holding off using Casket Time.  A buddy of mine always uses his legendary plays as soon as possible to ensure that they get used, as they do have an impact on the game.

-  If you clearly see a better opportunity is going to manifest itself within the next turn

-  If you are behind in a tournament setting and the opponent looks like he/she is about to win - take the points as it will probably improve your standing through tie-breakers

-  If you are in a practice session, you may want to hold off to see if a better opportunity presents itself to internalize a learning point

- If you are getting ready to make a goal-scoring run and the model that you are thinking about for Casket Time could assist in a snap back goal, put that model in the box.

PS....you can't always put Shark in the box, but it is sweet when you do.

By using it on a non-captain you're probably also denying an opponent 2inf for the next turn, which gives you a chance to pull ahead further that turn. Say you have a chance turn 2 for a Casket time (more often I find turn 3) and choose not to take it, that means you're choosing to use it next turn and hope it has an impact on the game the turn after that. As most games go 4-5 turns you're running out of opportunities not just to use it but also for it to have a meaningful impact on the game. 

Morticians are about ruining opponents plans to get the edge, I would take the edge of an extra 2inf immediately to try and snowball it into a win in later turns rather than waiting until later in the game. I casket time every time.

Good points by everyone. I just nervous pulling the trigger, I see the take out there, and am always tempted to wait to lure in a better target. I do find if I can get a turn two casket time, I generally win the game. Turn three seems to be a real big turn for the momentum of a game and being up an activation and influence is a huge difference maker.

As some others have suggested, I favor using it whenever it is available on a non-mascot player. Just landing Casket Time to begin with is a large advantage, as you net 2 free VP and take a player (and the influence the bring) off the field for a turn. The best case scenario quickly gets into diminishing marginal returns with a lot of potential risk (not getting the Casket Time at all). Also, using it early can help you build advantages that can snowball into victory. So even if you got a "better" Casket Time target later, you allowed your opponent to have more resources and options in the turn(s) leading up to that.  

Unless there is a better Casket time guaranteed, I usually take it at the first and best opportunity as well. Putting the captain in the box is really good, but I don´t feel safe taking a gamble to get a better target most of the time. And really, while the influence drain on your opponent is great, the activation part is really the kicker here. Especially if you can set the casket time up as first activation, effectively robbing your opponent of 2 activations and giving you the opportunity of going first and still get last activation, twice, if you manage to win the momentum race. That´s the stuff that makes you win games! :D 

Also, it usually helps you reach that 8 point threshold much quicker, which restricts your opponents game plan heavily. A goal and a casket time puts your opponent in an awkward spot. In most cases he just cannot give you the ball at this point, with Obulus or Scalpel loaded up and ready to seize any opportunity to capitalize on a mistake. 

Obulus getting to 8 points and being safe is huge. 

He threats so much of the board for a goal and the rest of the team is so dangerous. Put the pressure on and wait for an opening.  I'll usually casket time as soon as sensibly possible. 4 points and swinging 2+ momentum in your favour is huge. 

Also, my first ever casket time was my first proper 6 man game where i got shark in the box. For ever.  Ahh the good old days.

1 hour ago, Mattyg2787 said:

You can't. Has to be human. Also, don't try using it vs engineers

Oh right, little details.  I don't think there's any rule that says a mascot can't have the human type but I guess there are no examples so far.

I suppose the closest analogue would be boxing an apprentice.

1 hour ago, MechMage said:

Oh right, little details.  I don't think there's any rule that says a mascot can't have the human type but I guess there are no examples so far.

I suppose the closest analogue would be boxing an apprentice.

Interestingly Colossus has the human type. Out of the engineer 12, 6 have human, six don't. You just need to be more picky.

you can always use the "hostage" strategy. 

Once you have a model KD'd and badly wounded + engaged by a mort or 2, you don't have to kill them. you can just wait. This creates an uncomfortable situation where instead of their player jogging on at their recovery health + taking a breather, they're dealing with a player one activation from death, ganged up on, and low health + conditions like KD. 

If they allocate, box em / kill em. if they give them nothing you've effectively neutralised them for a turn anyway so just hold them in place best you can. Ofc, models like corsair do this better than anyone, but mort models like casket / ghast can hold someone too