SwampDonkey

Talk to me about dat ass

Now that some of us plebs have finally got our hands on the Christmas version of Buckwheat, how are you fielding him?

When the farmers were released, we were all eager to get hour hands on the bigger, firmer mascot choice for the farmers, but now that the dust is finally starting to settle on the full guild release, there is nary a mention of the donkey and how he is played! So much of the farmers discussion out in the wild is centering upon Thresher being the new God king of guild ball and his lists only ever seem to include Peck.

I keep looking at the potential for Buckwheat to put points on the board with a Grange team. First off, with some liberally sprinkled harvest markers, the Donkey has a really long goal threat which I feel complements the beater team nicely. Then in combat, Buckwheat is an ass that slaps back. Buckwheat has a butchers playbook and access to free attacks, has anyone gotten any experience using him to dive in on an opponent under honest labour? Grange can supply a tac buff, a damage buff and a harvest marker all by himself! And then just for kicks, he has access to an easy 4"push off of a successful attack, which then even has some serious potential to crowd surf a marauding striker or shove a midfielder back in to the scrum for another tumble.

So long story short, which captain do you bring buckwheat with?

Where do you play him on the field and to what end?

I play buckwheat when ever I think I'm not going to incounter a lot of KD or conditions. Every game I've played with him he has done something useful to score me points, I can not say the same thing about the chicken.

4 minutes ago, Wild Rose said:

I play buckwheat when ever I think I'm not going to incounter a lot of KD or conditions

But why bring Peck when you have Millstone? Unless you don't have the Millstone mini and don't want to proxy then just ignore me :) 

15 minutes ago, Edek said:

But why bring Peck when you have Millstone? Unless you don't have the Millstone mini and don't want to proxy then just ignore me :) 

That is a pretty legitimate perspective IMO. Millstone does a good amount of effective condition management. But is it enough to see the donkey in the Thresher line up?

Smoke is very sad against Farmers either way, especially without GICs. Midas is the way to go against them.

As for KD, even brewers don't give out too much KDs for Millstone to handle. I really don't see a reason to pick Peck over Buckwheat. Buckwheat brings inf efficiency to the team, great goal scoring potential, easy KDs even without inf, good dmg output, can work around UM. Peck helps you out when you get a lot of KDs but at that point it sounds like you did something wrong.

I played Buckwheat twice at the weekend, both times because I drew Sic 'Em. Played him with Grange due to INF and Harvest Marker concerns (also, gives Grange, Tater, Jackstraw, Millstone, Fallow, Buckwheat more scoring/MP generation). Buckwheat scored top to T2 - ball on him end of T1, Carrot... an HM for 4" dodge to within 4" Grange, Sic 'Em to charge vHearne and be within 8" of goal (thanks to 40mm base), get some momentous damage, spend the 1 INF to take a shot and score.

2nd game against Blacksmiths, I threatened the goal a few times with Buckwheat roaming around the edges of the scum but Cinder took it off him. My opponent was very good at pushing Grange out of engagement to shut down Honest Labour, so Buckwheat couldn't do a lot in the centre (so many crowd outs...). At the end, Grange tackled the ball from Hearth, booted it up the pitch so it scattered 2"-3" from Buckwheat with 2 INF on him. Sledge comes in to kill Buckwheat, Tater :KD:s Sledge and Cinder, sprints onto the ball, carries it to shot range and score a winning goal.

The threat of Buckwheat is cool, as with HM within 2", it's almost free momentum, and his goal threat is there. However, he's low health, middling DEF so not hard to kill (and all that pushing and :KD: makes him a target) and with an INF cap of 2 you can't charge and take a shot, so if I have Sic 'Em I will definitely consider him, but otherwise it will depend how desperate I am for a striker, the threat of conditions, and need for INF.

4 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

Buckwheat scored top to T2 - ball on him end of T1, Carrot... an HM for 4" dodge to within 4" Grange, Sic 'Em to charge vHearne and be within 8" of goal (thanks to 40mm base), get some momentous damage, spend the 1 INF to take a shot and score.

You seem to have "cheated" there: Sic'Em requires the mascot to start its activation within 4" of the captain. And since you had to use Carrot & Stick to get there, you couldn't have used the plot card. ;)

22 minutes ago, Sid said:

You seem to have "cheated" there: Sic'Em requires the mascot to start its activation within 4" of the captain. And since you had to use Carrot & Stick to get there, you couldn't have used the plot card. ;)

Ooooh, that's a point. Good thing it was a friendly. Might have been within and I Carrot'ed to get the angle right, but it would definitely have been borderline on being in 4" at the start. Still, Sic 'Em on Buckwheat is awesome.

Thing is Sic Em on Peck is pretty good too. 

I've cone to like both mascots as they both bring something worthwhile.  My choice normally burns down whether or not I can spare an inf, but I'm looking for more specific reasons and not really finding many...

Peck brings more inf, dials up the condition management. Buckwheat is a goal threat and has a free attack. I feel Buckwheat will bring something useful to more turns than Peck will, so Buckwheat is the default, unless I'm low on inf, or playing Smoke/Condition heavy teams

1 hour ago, CurlyPaul said:

unless I'm low on inf, or playing Smoke/Condition heavy teams

As someone who has played alchemists a lot, I don't see how Smoke can play against the Tresher Magnificent 6. So, no point in Peck as far as Alchemists are concerned.

A friend pointed out a tactic with Buckwheat to me yesterday that I'm going to give a try. Stick him on one side of the pitch and you effectively remove a 4" corridor as no one is going to risk getting Asskicked off the pitch. That funnels the opposing team into the centre which is exactly where Thresher and Grange want them to be. It also gives you a safe side of the pitch to goal kick to. Especially good if you have Wingback.

15 hours ago, Wildeybeast said:

A friend pointed out a tactic with Buckwheat to me yesterday that I'm going to give a try. Stick him on one side of the pitch and you effectively remove a 4" corridor as no one is going to risk getting Asskicked off the pitch. That funnels the opposing team into the centre which is exactly where Thresher and Grange want them to be. It also gives you a safe side of the pitch to goal kick to. Especially good if you have Wingback.

Now that is some of the fine ass insight that I have been holding out for. 

It may keep the Bdubs out of the scrum for a while but the denial is huge! No one wants the two cute little horse shoe bruises that would accompany that reliable crows surf. I also think that the channel along the side line would open his goal threat nicely.

I am super eager to try that out, thanks!

5 hours ago, SwampDonkey said:

Now that is some of the fine ass insight that I have been holding out for. 

It may keep the Bdubs out of the scrum for a while but the denial is huge! No one wants the two cute little horse shoe bruises that would accompany that reliable crows surf. I also think that the channel along the side line would open his goal threat nicely.

I am super eager to try that out, thanks!

I can't take any credit for it, just passing on the wisdom, but you are welcome.

So, farmer’s MASCOT, has 1 less wound, TAC, and DEF, (basically) the same or 1 less INF, a MOMENTUS 3DMG playbook, 1” more goal threat (that requires arguably EASIER set up), a KD on 1and a 4” push compared to the Alchemists’ PRIMARY STRIKER.

Thats without other potential farmer buffs.

Alchemists DO have good mascots, but man, I’m sure there’s some teams that wish they had dat ass as a normal TEAM MEMBER, much less a Mascot.

I can’t see a world in which Peck is chosen, tbh. Maybe against Fungineers?

11 hours ago, The Glorious One said:

So, farmer’s MASCOT, has 1 less wound, TAC, and DEF, (basically) the same or 1 less INF, a MOMENTUS 3DMG playbook, 1” more goal threat (that requires arguably EASIER set up), a KD on 1and a 4” push compared to the Alchemists’ PRIMARY STRIKER.

Thats without other potential farmer buffs.

Alchemists DO have good mascots, but man, I’m sure there’s some teams that wish they had dat ass as a normal TEAM MEMBER, much less a Mascot.

I can’t see a world in which Peck is chosen, tbh. Maybe against Fungineers?

Peck definitely has his uses. He's really good against the likes of Alchemists for keeping conditions off Thresher and against teams that you know are bringing a load of momentous KD's (Brewers/ Hammer Masons). I think Buckwheat is made better by the fact Farmers lack a top level striker.

I think Bushel is a competent striker, especially with Grange around. I don’t think Farmers are really a striking team anyway. They are likely winning 4-1, 2-2 or 6-0, barring some fortuitous goal opportunities. (Which, I think Buckwheat can help create)

And, as an Alchemist, I feel like playing the condition game against farmers is a futile endeavor with or without peck because of how well they generate mom and can heal.