kaladorm

Blacksmith's as a Tournament Choice

So after dabbling in many teams for 6 months (Butchers to Morts to Fish and now Smiths), I have decided to try and focus on one and 'git gud' in time for the WTC. I've narrowed down my choices to Fish, Smiths and Union....

Blacksmiths were a team that interested me, and seem to offer a big reward for practiced play given the varied number of interactions they can have. That said, I have some concerns that there are some teams with very tough matchups (probably Smoke, Obulus, and Theron).

I am looking for a team to perform over a longer tournament, which means that minimising variance is key. A high football game and a team with swingy matchups where they either crush or get crushed is not ideal. With those concerns in mind, how do you think Blacksmith's play out for that choice?

I think the Smiths are a great for tournament play. The have issues with certain captain just like everyone else but it is also possible (because  of the influence being spread out) that some of those captains might not be as bad as we think. Score three goals unless.... X,Y,Z. Then switch to a 2-2 game. I don't think we have the ability to go 4-1 but I haven't really tried so. 

I think BS have some issues at the highest level (I have yet to survive the Engineer artillery line as it kills our apprentices so easily) but I think they are a powerful team that has so SO much jank that your opponent won't see you coming. As I detailed in the other thread I had Iron make a 12" move to try to score of a kicked out goal - noone else in the game pulls this nonsense. BS have a bit of learning curve as they are all about setting up the jank - but they are so much bloody fun when they work. And unlike Hunters you never feel you're running to stand still. I mean Alloy and Iron are ridiculous...

It's just a shame Sledge is such a disappointment. I waiting for him to shine...somehow.

1 hour ago, EpicChris said:

It's just a shame Sledge is such a disappointment. I waiting for him to shine...somehow.

Sledge one shot virtiol with a vengeance token and piledriver :P Charged her with my only 2 influence she was KD but def stance'd back to 5's. Got 4 of 9 plus the auto 7 damage :) 

@EpicChris you capture my concerns well -  auto-fold to some of the Character Play heavy teams, but also the setup of jank. The BS will reward knowing (and spotting) these situations well, even more than a Shark team, but it also relies on your opponent not spotting it. I've done well in my games so far in our meta, and I think it's down to having more retained knowledge, and therefore less mistakes being made.

At a higher level of play I can't rely on my opponents making a mistake, or at least have to play as if they won't. This is pushing me towards a team that has a solid game plan/position to control the game (examples that spring to mind include Corsair, Farmers) as well as one that is more consistent (which means more of a 1-4 or 2-2 game)

I think we are pretty capable to go 3-0 or 2-2, with the ability to change this on the fly. 

Blacksmiths to me feel middle of the pack, towards the top. Absolutely viable, but skill is required. People are getting more experience against us, so it gets harder to pull jank. This is no different for other teams. 

I agree we have bad matchups and coming from Union, I am not used to that. Union is the exeption to the rule, all others have better and worse matchups. 

Blacksmiths are certainly competitively viable. As to where they are exactly...I think the answer it is it is too early to tell. The team has so many abilities, and positional synergies, and exaggerated strengths and weaknesses. I have played probably 12 or so games since the box 2 SCUS release, and I am still working out a lot of the depth of strategies the team can adopt. The biggest thing that would be potentially preventing them from being top tier is that they are hugely resource strained as a team. 

I think something that is fair to say that Blacksmiths are very easy to play poorly. There really is a LOT going on (Tutealage's, Remembering someone is your captain, 3 Legendary plays, Master's Aura's like Hearths's etc). I think the balance of the team is when they are played correctly , so I think when people are newer to the team and haven't worked out the TON of jank you can pull and aren't making the most out of the synergistic nature of the team they will struggle. 

Totally think they're competitive at the highest level but it will take a couple of good level players some time to work out the team, as even the drafting process is totally different to other teams. 

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they aren't good. And they will shine next year. They have a lot of tricks and good players. I think they have some horrible weaknesses. I can't wait to see how they do. 

Had my third game with them today and damn there is a lot going on. I feel like the Masons with analysis paralysis, and there is less of a clear line on what to do 'first' like with other teams. I feel it will reward practice so I'll churn out a few more before deciding, but probably going to take Fish to our January tournament.

(Note: Only have Blacksmiths 1 atm)

On 12/19/2017 at 6:59 AM, ForestRambo said:

I think something that is fair to say that Blacksmiths are very easy to play poorly.

^^This in spades. It is very easy to put yourself in an unwinable game (net of opponent mistakes) if you are careful. I am of the option that this team I sigh skill cap and high reward. Meaning that a player that can "master" the guild will be very difficult to beat as the team will reward his high skill with high output. They are by no means easy except as @ForestRambo mentioned, easy to play poorly!

I played myself into a game like this in my tourney last weekend. Had I made a few better choices and/or thought through a few things a bit better I feel like I win that game handily, But I didn't and it went very poorly very quickly. 

I am all in on them at the moment so I think the water is fine, but I think BS will give you what you give them. you put in alit off effort and practice and I think they will be very very good to you... if not them you will be underwhelmed.