mr baron

New PVC Teams

First let me say that I am excited about the new PVC materials that STG is using.  The details that they are able to get with the new PVC are top notch.  

With that said, STG is starting with the Fisherman's Guild.  Unfortunately I already own them, and will probably not buy new sculpts for awhile. I am thinking that perhaps STG could put a poll up to see which guild would be of most interest to the community.  I own 4 guilds, so I would definitely buy guilds in PVC that I do not own.  For example, I would buy PVC Engineers as that is a guild that I am thinking about, but have not bought yet.

I am wondering what others think.....

Engineers were partly designed by a high level KS backer if I remember right, so they may have wanted to run any updated sculpts by them first as a courtesy (no idea if that’s the case, but it’s possible). That might make them one of the later guilds sadly.

I suspect the decision has already been made for practical reasons, but that definitely doesn’t mean people shouldn’t mention which guilds they would get on plastic if not the fish - after all, SFG can see the levels of demand that way :)

Me, I’d probably get... well, most of them in the end. I like the plastics, and they look to be much less dense (as in “less pouches and other things attached”), so the models lines are cleaner and my brushes get more freedom. There are a few sculpts I can’t face because of the amount of bitty stuff I’d have to paint once I’d done the interesting bits ;)

(That’s why busts are brilliant to paint - don’t have to bother with belts, pouches, feet, all those tedious bits below the waist :D )

Maybe not the morticians, if I’ve gotten most of them painted by then.

There seems to be this rumor spreading that if these PVC teams go intro production it will delay or disrupt the release schedule of the minor guilds. I think people are making "educated guesses" that juggling two things is harder than focusing on one but until I hear SFG confirm this it's hard for me to believe. 

Anyone with more insights care to comment?

As far as I know and can tell, the reason the re-releases are being done like this is to make sure they don’t disrupt the new releases.

Four minor guilds designed, sculpted, tested, artworked, cast and packaged is a lot to do in a year - that’s the approximate “hopefully this works out” schedule that was mentioned. The plastic rereleases will fit around it I’d think - no one really wants a dead zone in their release schedule where it’s just newer versions of old models for months at a time! SFG will have different schedules and pipelines for the two release sets I’d think, as one is a higher priority than the other (new over old)

There’s a fair bit of supposition in there based on my understandings of things that friends in the industry have told me, rather than concrete SFG insider info, but that rumour sounds a touch premature considering the minor Guild schedule was only roughly stated at steamcon and none have been released late (or at all) yet :)

4 new teams in a years seems too much to me, 2 would pace releases better, giving time to get used to the new rules and players, and how the minor guilds function within the meta, as well as giving the design team more time to test, ensure the guilds work as intended and design more stuff for SFG (like those Innovations they were talking about).

I think 3-4 is the plan, I’m kind of with you on the slower schedule (I can’t keep up with painting!) but I’ve seen it before that a slower release schedule of new things every 6 months results in players complaining there aren’t any new toys... can’t win really! :D

I’m intrigued by SFGinnovations - I’m curious to know how much of the design side is actually done by SFG, or if it’s more design support and a production arm. One way could result in a lot of extra internal design work, the other is a bit more logistics and less intense designing.

1 hour ago, Mako said:

I think 3-4 is the plan, I’m kind of with you on the slower schedule (I can’t keep up with painting!) but I’ve seen it before that a slower release schedule of new things every 6 months results in players complaining there aren’t any new toys... can’t win really! :D

I’m intrigued by SFGinnovations - I’m curious to know how much of the design side is actually done by SFG, or if it’s more design support and a production arm. One way could result in a lot of extra internal design work, the other is a bit more logistics and less intense designing.

I defo want four new Guilds next and back to a release a month for products from them (:

On 12/17/2017 at 6:30 AM, blueboyzcaptain said:

who am I kidding LE Pin Vice or Bust!

I wouldn't mind seeing Pin Vice's bust. Giggity.

1 hour ago, S_A_T_S said:

4 new teams in a years seems too much to me, 2 would pace releases better, giving time to get used to the new rules and players, and how the minor guilds function within the meta, as well as giving the design team more time to test, ensure the guilds work as intended and design more stuff for SFG (like those Innovations they were talking about).

But really it is 4 half teams and it sounds like some of the boxes are going to have previously released models in them (Solthecian at the very least.)

Side note. Would love to see a high stakes event at a SteamCon after all the minor guilds are released and see a minor only tournament to decide who becomes a full guild.

22 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

4 new teams in a years seems too much to me, 2 would pace releases better, giving time to get used to the new rules and players, and how the minor guilds function within the meta, as well as giving the design team more time to test, ensure the guilds work as intended and design more stuff for SFG (like those Innovations they were talking about).

Two minor guilds per year would mean Farmers and Blacksmiths wouldn't get new models (other than potential SteamCon exclusives) until ... 2022? Don't know about you, but having each team only get one new release (and not even one directly for them) over the next 5-6 years seems a bit too slow.

4 minutes ago, Polipotent said:

Is this confirmed?

I don't remember a vote, as far as I knew it was a case of the fish being first because it was what made sense internally for SFG. Course, I could easily be wrong, but they definitely didn't do a vote for that on here :)

1 minute ago, Mako said:

I don't remember a vote, as far as I knew it was a case of the fish being first because it was what made sense internally for SFG. Course, I could easily be wrong, but they definitely didn't do a vote for that on here :)

Sorry I thought he was commenting on the survey that was sent out.  I was hoping someone had inside info on if it was successful for the creation of the fishermen in PVC.

32 minutes ago, Polipotent said:

Sorry I thought he was commenting on the survey that was sent out.  I was hoping someone had inside info on if it was successful for the creation of the fishermen in PVC.

Ohh, I follow you now. I don’t think it’s been publicly decided yet.

If/when I know, I’ll spill it to the forum (if someone else hasn’t found out first!) :D

I know it was already said Alchemists will be a later guild. I am a little disappointed to not get my minor guild until 2019 or later, but I am building Union so I don't mind. I think four minor guilds per year is pushing the limit, but am happy to see 4 versus 2 for the community. Like Mako said, SFG can't make everyone happy.

This is a huge deal for my involvement in the game.  Simply tired of the work and effort involved in metal mini's after decades of using them and gluing them and painting them and pinning them and occasionally having them break, over it so the move to PVC will sell me heavily.

But...

What is already PVC outside of the starter box which I have and the Blacksmiths and Farmers, which I might get.  Anything else, I am particularly interested in Fisherman (next so cool) and Hunters (no idea) along with the other Masons and Brewers (not in starter).  

Which leads me to, any idea of a schedule of release for (assuming it happens) the Fisherman and the other early season Guilds?????

Do we know or have any idea (or can it be made available) what order and approximate (always approx.) release dates of PVC early Guild teams.  

14 hours ago, dancater said:

This is a huge deal for my involvement in the game.  Simply tired of the work and effort involved in metal mini's after decades of using them and gluing them and painting them and pinning them and occasionally having them break, over it so the move to PVC will sell me heavily.

But...

What is already PVC outside of the starter box which I have and the Blacksmiths and Farmers, which I might get.  Anything else, I am particularly interested in Fisherman (next so cool) and Hunters (no idea) along with the other Masons and Brewers (not in starter).  

Which leads me to, any idea of a schedule of release for (assuming it happens) the Fisherman and the other early season Guilds?????

Do we know or have any idea (or can it be made available) what order and approximate (always approx.) release dates of PVC early Guild teams.  

Think thats all up in the air at the moment. Right now they're just trying to see if it's a feasible to do it in the first place.

Mat Hart made a speech at Steam Con UK about the delays in the process (a certain amount of time for making the moulds, time to ship products from China, time to get it to retailers etc.) So, as Falkman says, it would likely be about six months plus after whatever time they sign off the decision to go ahead with making the team (which so far hasn't been made).