THE_DOJO_MIKE

Blacksmiths/ kicking & receiving

What does the "OPD change" do for Blacksmiths? Do we take different captains now? Can we take Burnish now if we are looking at a 2-2 game or maybe Furnace? A lot of other guilds get to use this to their advantage and I wonder what our options are. 

Discuss : ) 

After playing into Masons this weekend. I can tell you that if I am kicking I might be very happy to play burnish into them. Not being in a position to get a 1st turn goal with Alloy can mean we are in for a grind and I think against a low def team like Masons keeping them burning seems strong.

I usually kick with Alloy. 

Keep him within 6” of Hearth. Give him 2” melee and +2 hits. Use his Arsenal for anatomical precision or +1 kick. Try to get momentum or a goal with him. 

Receiving is great, you set up a last activation goal with someone, preferably Bolt. 

Yeah Alloy is the man for kick off I think. That pressure is intense. Even without Granny support. With it - '11'. Farris is also a hilarious KO model - there is basically nowhere on the board she can't reach after a KO. Cinder can also be a good KO model - boosted by Hearth she can grab the ball on an easy tackle at range and kick back.

Non-KO, I think you want Alloy and Iron on flanks to get the ball back and pass to Ferrite/Bolt or other.

1 hour ago, EpicChris said:

Yeah Alloy is the man for kick off I think. That pressure is intense. Even without Granny support. With it - '11'. Farris is also a hilarious KO model - there is basically nowhere on the board she can't reach after a KO. Cinder can also be a good KO model - boosted by Hearth she can grab the ball on an easy tackle at range and kick back.

Non-KO, I think you want Alloy and Iron on flanks to get the ball back and pass to Ferrite/Bolt or other.

So does that make your receiving line up Ferrite (c), Hearth, Farris, Bolt, Iron, and Alloy? That has been my 3-0 team and has worked out fairly well. Plenty of ball retrieval, but can drop Iron for Cinder to make it even more of a threat. Just curious as to your initial lineup 

So lets assume Hearth, Alloy, Iron, and Ferrite are likely in you list kick or receive. What changes Kicking vs Receiving? Is that a consideration really or is the third pair used to play into a certain team or captain rather that a kick off decision? 

It feels like its more about the team you are playing into.... Burnish into Masons/brewers/Blacksmiths... What are our other considerations there?

On 19/12/2017 at 1:26 PM, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

So does that make your receiving line up Ferrite (c), Hearth, Farris, Bolt, Iron, and Alloy? That has been my 3-0 team and has worked out fairly well. Plenty of ball retrieval, but can drop Iron for Cinder to make it even more of a threat. Just curious as to your initial lineup 

Aye I do love that lineup. I also switch Farris Bolt for Furnance and Cast. That’s for smashing face. I need to test Burnish Cast as well. 

Both lineups are great kicking or receiving but I probably favour Farris Bolt for receiving. 

Had a game against Engineers yesterday

Balista, Mother, Hoist, Velocity, Rachet and Salvo against my Ferrite, Farris, Hearth, Iron, Bolt and Alloy. The engineer player was fairly fresh faced so there was no high end plays here (it's a smal local gaming league so always good to get new folk into it) so I tend to go into teacher mode and help my opponent too much.

I could choose to kick and recieve and think i made the mistake of kicking. In my head I he would pass the ball ideally and just launch Ferrite up and score... he just walked away (mind he doesn't know what I can do as a guild :D so everything he foils, isn't intentional... it just happens) so yeah if I had the ball I could likely have done it second or so activation than never lol

I'm not overly convinced I can use Farris and Bolt well, despite spending all game making him drop the ball (always landing either snap in range for him or miles away in the wrong direction when it suits me) I never got much use out of them. Bolt and Farris are pretty good getting the ball off people if not the most reliable way. Bolt even soiled his hands and got his first goal this game, beginning of whatever turn we ended up on Bolt stamina jogs up to the ganged up battered Rachet (who the turn before took 16 damage from Iron) bopped him for a 1DMG push dodge momentus and popped the ball in the goal.

So yes we can do both but I think the safer option is just to recieve if we get the choice, especially against Balista and Co who get MOM for breathing to our ziltch.

On 12/19/2017 at 8:26 AM, THE_DOJO_MIKE said:

I think the Cinder is better than Iron here. You already have 2 great scoring threats in Bolt and Alloy, and she breaks up dead ball situations like no other player with Hearth. You're bringing Hearth anyways and she really turns on Cinder. 2" with UM is great, and Instruction makes tackling from afar a near guarantee.