Sign in to follow this  
Varred

Original Guilds (metal or plastic dilemma)

Hello here again. 

I am a returning player to Guild Ball, as last time resources were too short to play 3 games at the same time i had to drop GB and was upset about that situation. However, I was following news closely. Now came a time to return to my Butchers and rebuy them from nothing. I was at first very opposed to Kick Off! and PVC minis in general. Having wargame background and loving the detailed minis SFG were releasing at the time i quit, which was before vOx was released i was upset about the move to more of a board game feel. Now i know its perks all to well, but this post is not about that. 

So for my first buy back I got the s1 Butchers six player box. You know Ox, Brisket and everything. As i began to put them together, i noticed a huge (for me at least) difference from the same metal minis i have bought some year ago. The mould lines and overall quality was way lower than back then. I mean that You could see all the flash where the form wasnt put just  right and some additional flash where there were supposed to be tight open spaces (for example between Brisket legs, or her neck and hair). 

Have You noticed something simillar, or is it just a case of a bad box and everything is just fine? 

I started to think, if this is a widespread thing, maybe the new plastic teams, as in fishermen and maybe more, are just to see if it would be better to resculpt and rerelease in plastic, or make new forms, as the old ones are used and starting to lose the sharp detail and overall precision? 

What do You think GB community? 

It sounds to me as though you have been a bit unlucky. The Guild Ball models have (I think) changed casting process a few times, with some different types of metal used from time to time (some of the models look much shinier) but the quality I've seen buying models from various places for various seasons has always been very good. I've very rarely had any flash to cut off models, and found them to have less flash than recent metal models I've bought from Games Workshop.

The new models in particular have been very impressive ... things like Yuletide Buckwheat the donkey and Solthecian Gutter are quite complicated models that they have cast in one piece ... no assembly needed ... with good detail.

If the moulds for the old models got a bit worn out (which could be possible I guess) it would be an awful lot cheaper just to make new moulds for metal models than to make moulds for plastic models (plastic is expensive to set up) so that wouldn't be a reason to make the switch to plastic. Steamforged has its own 3D printer. They could print out another master copy of the original figure from their computer files, then make a fresh mould from that for metal casting very easily. Plastic moulds are hugely expensive but then enable you to produce huge volumes of models quite cheaply per unit.

2 hours ago, ADG said:

If the moulds for the old models got a bit worn out (which could be possible I guess) it would be an awful lot cheaper just to make new moulds for metal models than to make moulds for plastic models (plastic is expensive to set up). [...] Plastic moulds are hugely expensive but then enable you to produce huge volumes of models quite cheaply per unit.

That is exactly what I was thinking, and why the whole survey was up on Fish. Making another mould is easy and cheap, especially if they have their own 3D printer. However, switchcing to plastic enabels You to produce more for less after taking the effort to set it up. That is why they gauge interest i think. To compare these two ways to go forward.

P.S. Good to hear it was an unlucky box tho. Hope the next will be fine.

3 hours ago, ADG said:

Plastic moulds are hugely expensive but then enable you to produce huge volumes of models quite cheaply per unit.

Depends on the kind of plastic. For hard plastic yes but for PVC somewhat less so. OTOH the PVC that Steamforged uses is of the most detailed kind and I'm not up to speed on the particulars of mould making for that kind.

100% behind plastic mini's.  Easier to work with, lighter to transport, more durable.  And my understanding is while initial outlay is costly in the longer term the process is cheaper in terms of materials (currently, the future is what it is, but I'd imagine it will remain so) and long-term mould durability.  So hoping this happens. 

I don't understand why they wouldn't rerelease the originals. All teh fluff is about them. 90% of the discussion is about them. People in these forms are always going on about the awesomeness of Fillet, Corsaire, Rage, etc... Having one piece ready to go models is a key part of getting new people not only into teh game, but the whole war gaming hobby. You're hyping these characters up, make the models accesible for newer players