XerxesTough

Item prerequisites

Hello everyone,

my wife and I did a small test-game, just to get used to the rules. We only played till mini-boss. Game is fun and all, but after doing the first 4 encounters, we had drawn a total of 12 cards, only 1 of which was a weapon actually usable by one of our characters (after spending 4 of our remaining souls for stat-improvement)

I looked through all of the cards and was shocked to find much more items not usable without spending 6 - 16 souls on the character, than items actually usable after a few encounters. And these items didnt seam to make much of a difference compared to the starting equipment.

Did we overlook something obvious? Or are you supposed to only draw a card or two and save the rest of the souls for advancement? 

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, the initial balance without mimics and invaders to help fill out your soul wallet is a bit rough. I tuned it down some in the mean time by making a base deck that only has items that require 3 upgrades or less, plus embers and shards. That way one character ought to end up with an upgrade by the time you hit the mini boss.

My group has been having this problem as well. We have tried two different options, one is to put the cards in the treasure deck as tiers as @Pending Forum Suspension mentions. The other was to increase the number of cards you turn over when you open a chest/ buy equipment. We are tending to use the latter option more as it can get equipment on more of the party.