Warpstoned

Random Thoughts after a Tournament

Hi guys. 

I finally took the leap of faith and brought my Hunters to a tournament this Saturday. (I have always chickened out in the last second for another guild - the woes of owning to many guilds :P)

I have done some reflection and thoughts since and I did not originally intend to post this, but work is slow and I thought maybe someone could find it interesting. As such it is just my own opinions with rather small sample size and not facts, so treat it as such. 

Preface:

Local 14 man tournament so 3-4 rounds. I was going to try Hemlocke as my Union slot as there were going to be some brewers, masons and farmers present. And for science. 

The Line Up:

• Skatha
  • Theron
  • Snow (shut up, I frikkin love the dog ;))
  • Jaecar
  • oHearne
  • Egret
  • Ulfr
  • Seenah
  • Hemlocke
  • Chaska

Game 1: Thresher

So first game I got matched with one of the top contender for the tournament rockin' his Farmers. So, obviously a though pairing, but I was glad I got try Hemlocke right off the bat. 

Skatha, Snow, Jaecar, Ulfr, Egret, Hemlocke v Thresher, Buckwheat, Millstone, Tater, Harrow, Jackstraw. I received.

Score: 11-12 loss. 

2 Ulfr goals (and one missed shot), Jaecar kills Tater and 1 clock point - Thresher/Tater kills Skatha and Jaecar, Jackstraw goal, Buckwheat goal. 

Hemlocke kept Thresher blinded. But he legendaried to counteract it one turn. So didn't feel super exciting. Her mT on 1 was at least a reliable ball steal threat. 

Ulfr was great. Easy access to momentum, wtg to get around counter charge or getting bogged down was really useful. 

Egret felt superflous here, but at least she is slippery. 

Snow is great. He makes it risky for Thresher/tater to go in, since missing the KD lets me dodge out, or they choosing a < instead of damage, or being forced to commit deeper. 

He was a missed tackle, a bad scatter upfield or a missed buckwheat goal from losing on time. I could have positioned Hemlocke to screen off a bit of the scatter angles, but I didn't see the ridiculous movement and kick range from Bucky. As close as it gets and a great game.

Game 2: Midas

Skatha, Snow, Jaecar, Ulfr, Chaska, Seenah v Midas, Naja, Vitriol, Mercury, Calculus, vKatalyst. I received.

Score: 16-12 win

3 goals (2 Ulfr, 1 Skatha), Seenah killed Calculus, vKat Witnessed himself - 1 Midas goal, Vitriol pushed Chaska off the pitch after he received a super wide kick off, Mercury killed off Ulfrs last 3 hp with a flame jet after vKat failed to finish him off, vKat killed Seenah with witness me getting us both to 12 simultaneously. Ulfr slotted the goal after that.

Ulfr was great. 2 goals, and got an opportunity for another but missed the tackle on Midas.  

While Seenah was pretty great. Influence was pretty tight receiving turn 1 when you want to pass around and have a goal run inf gets eaten up quickly. So I will probably use Seenah more when kicking, to have a powerful last activation.  

Chaska, gotten pushed off early did not impact too much (3/6 kick was useful though), the choice however was to let vitriol have the ball but I figured the ball was more important. Jaecar mostly kept Vitriol in check on a flank. 

Game 3: Blackheart

Skatha, Snow, Jaecar, Ulfr, Chaska, oHearne v Blackheart, Strongbox, Mist, Minx, Gutter, oRage. I received.

Score: 12-8 win

2 goals (Ulfr, Skatha), oHearne/Jaecar killed off mist after a failed goal run (missed his m< on Jaecar who promptly dodged away due to pack mentality leaving him stranded to kick the ball home) and Chaska caught a Gutter within 8" of the table edge and boomed her off - 1 Blackheart goal, Ulfr and Skatha both died after scoring. 

I really liked this line up. 

oHearne once again cemented to me his superiority over vHearne, he just runs so smoothly even without a forest. My heart ached a little leaving the lovely model home in the morning, but I am now firmly set on leaving vHearne out of the 10.

Chaska was solid. Received and kicked it back, while setting up a trap to lower mists ball threat and tough skin on himself to prevent momentum farming. 

Ulfr was great. With blessing of the moon goddess, snowball momentum, pass dodge, fast ground, and a model he got a charge off, he zoomed over the board and was in tap in range with blood scent end of turn 1. What a rock star. Paid the iron price for it though, as he is wont to do. 

Tournament ended at 3 rounds. End result 2-1 (and 39vps in 3 games despite losing one :P)

End thoughts

I received every game. This obviously is nice and makes the Ulfr experience better than might be the average (that 1st turn goal is sweet). But I have been pretty down on Ulfr before, and he smashed my previous beliefs by scoring 5 goals even after 1 missed shot and 2 missed tackles on Midas for another (not being able to charge UM models makes it less consistent)

Skatha. She might have had an edge in stealing the ball from unexpected opponents due to them never seen her. But her 4" (snowball) + 9" (fast ground sprint) + legendary + 2-3" (m><</><<< off an nearby model) + 1" (mT>< off the ball holder) + 6" (shot) = a very non linear 22" Blackhearty kind of goal run. Takes 6 inf for this particular move though. Otherwise she just turns up the turn 1 of Ulfr and the Bear to 11 or just gets 2 inf for snowballing herself or someone else out of danger or just a cold snap. 

I actually never missed Minx. This was surprising to me. She will probably still be in over Hemlocke, but I didn't feel like the world depended on her. 

Snow is bae. Fits my noncommittal playstyle better than Fahad. Ooh ball and extra kick dice helps a bit when passing around and such, and anatomical is just the cherry on top. 

Hunters are bloody fun! And I really liked the dodgy/trappy playstyle with a lot of movement and goals. I was never ever near timing out, whilst some opponents were and did. This takes a lot of mental stress away from me during tournament days - hence why I prefer Skatha over Theron, since his games tend to be more grindy and ending with a goal. 

I probably will try to fit in Zarola in the 10. I think Seenah and Egret are the most likely to go, but both have their uses. So we will see I guess. 

If you read this far, thank you for your time and Happy Hunting!

I'm finally gonna be able to get my Hunter's back on the field tonight.  I'm planning to try out something like your 3rd line up tonight (match up dependent of course).  But I really want to get in some games with Skatha, snow and ulfer specifically.  I'm happy with vhearne but these 3 weren't heavily in my favor when i took a break.  Want to get back into them with a fresh perspective.  Thanks for the write ups and inspiration.

Ulfr is the man, over something like 15 games at SteamCon he got a goal in every single on. Where'd They Go may just be one of the best 1 dice plays, up there with Blind. 

20 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

Ulfr is the man, over something like 15 games at SteamCon he got a goal in every single on. Where'd They Go may just be one of the best 1 dice plays, up there with Blind. 

Yeah, preach it my dude! 

He is a little bit wonky though, I will give people that. I was myself pretty frustrated with him the first 2 games.

He has bad defensive stats, so he is quite susceptible to counter attacks, should he miss his dodges or tackle. But he also has above average striker HP, so may actually survive a little bit longer to escape with WtG. Also never rely on his blood scent range first activation (that is to say a wrap). Momentum already in the bank and/or blessing of the moon goddess helps a lot. 

His counter attack against 1" melee models are really money if he hasn't used WtG yet too. Pretty situational, but every little bit helps. 

Blind is great. It does however want a momentum early in the turn to bonus time - which can be more or less problematic depending on your guild/line up/playstyle. Just something I have noticed I guess (and likely all other blind players already knew). It sometimes have meant I had to make the choice of blinding, say thresher, or defensive stanceing his charge.  

Next Hunters test subject is Avarisse & Greede. It would solve my roster a bit by "upgrading" Seenah to A&G and letting me fit Zarola. However, at the cost of Minx - so not a clear cut easy decision. 

5 minutes ago, Warpstoned said:

Yeah, preach it my dude! 

He is a little bit wonky though, I will give people that. I was myself pretty frustrated with him the first 2 games.

He has bad defensive stats, so he is quite susceptible to counter attacks, should he miss his dodges or tackle. But he also has above average striker HP, so may actually survive a little bit longer to escape with WtG. Also never rely on his blood scent range first activation (that is to say a wrap). Momentum already in the bank and/or blessing of the moon goddess helps a lot. 

His counter attack against 1" melee models are really money if he hasn't used WtG yet too. Pretty situational, but every little bit helps. 

Blind is great. It does however want a momentum early in the turn to bonus time - which can be more or less problematic depending on your guild/line up/playstyle. Just something I have noticed I guess (and likely all other blind players already knew). It sometimes have meant I had to make the choice of blinding, say thresher, or defensive stanceing his charge.  

Next Hunters test subject is Avarisse & Greede. It would solve my roster a bit by "upgrading" Seenah to A&G and letting me fit Zarola. However, at the cost of Minx - so not a clear cut easy decision. 

Yeah, I'm really reluctant to drop Minx as she's just a Hunter player basically & a incredibly efficient and good one. A&G could totally work I think as it makes Therons brawling line up that much better. 

They do indeed. I mean the bear is very inf hungry too. 

But I don't feel I am inf starved as a lot of people around here seem to be. I guess it could be a playstyle thing.

I generally prefer hungry models that bring value when I commit them over models that are efficient but lack in total output when I would need them too. Minx don't really bring a lot more to her activation in ways of damage if you give her full inf. And if you don't want to commit her, then she really isn't any more efficient than anyone else who givers 2 inf. 

If that makes sense?

That said, I don't know if A&G are wortwhile in hunters. Just that I would at least want to try :)

A&G generate 2-3 less inf than they use, it's pretty much the same as with Jaecar, Chaska or Seenah. (Only Seenah gives zero even if she doesn't get any.) So I don't think they would be any more inf hungry than other beaters. But if you field them together with any of those 3, I'm not sure how far they can go.

3 hours ago, angyi said:

A&G generate 2-3 less inf than they use, it's pretty much the same as with Jaecar, Chaska or Seenah. (Only Seenah gives zero even if she doesn't get any.) So I don't think they would be any more inf hungry than other beaters. But if you field them together with any of those 3, I'm not sure how far they can go.

So it's basically like passing on Minx AND whatever other beater you aren't gonna fuel since they burn the union slot and take extra influence.

To be fair they are probably the best beaters we have access to currently. Functionally TAC8 with mom 4KD>> on a result of a 5 is disgusting. Iss just a pain to find a way to fuel them especially in hunters. 

A&G aren't terribly popular around here, only union and fish players use them. In union teams they aren't too scary. With Corsair... as much as Minx is practically a hunters model, I consider A&G a fish model. But I don't think they fit too well in hunters mechanics, they feel like you're caressing the possibility of awesomeness all game long, then you lose because of allocation issues and slowness. Just my opinion. Better players than me in these forums will tell you that A&G rock with hunters :)