guild baller

Why doesn't anyone use Colossus?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Engineers and have watch some Steamcom streams and noticed that no one used Colossus. I think he is pretty good with close control, tough hide, light foot, and stoic. He's also reasonably fast, has a good kick, decent playbook, and one of the few Engineer models with 2" reach. Is there something I'm missing?

I played Colossus twice at Steamcon (only one in a tournament though.) It very well may have been a coincidence. If there were a reason not to run him the only thing I could really think of is that he is DEF2 and we're starting to see more armor debuffs. Honestly though, in the hands of a skilled player, he is a huge pain in the ass to play against.

*I don't play Engineers so I might also be missing something.

The new guilds, farmers and blacksmiths, are not good matchups for Colossus. He isn't faster than either and his low defense is money for their playbooks. That and blacksmiths can potentially kill him with one model after one setup activation.

I use Colossus in some situations: when playing agains low TAC teams; when facing teams with UM; when facing teams with a few 2" reach models.

He sees some play agains Midas, Esters' Brewers, sometimes Farmers.

2 hours ago, MilitaryCoo said:

Tell me more

Colossus has a 2" melee zone to easily provide gang ups without being caught by Scything Blows.  Tough Hide means that if he is caught in it, he'll probably survive.  He's got Singled Out on one hit and he's fast enough to keep up with Gutter or go in first if he has to.  He also has a relatively easy momentous knock down.  The end result is that with 2 influence, or 1 influence and Overclock, Colossus can grant Gutter +3 Tac and -1 TN which makes both Chain Grab and Scything Blow very achievable.

oRage comes close since he can Tooled Up Gutter and gang up safely with Maverick but it means forgoing his Berserk attack which is painful.  vRage is obviously great but he's a captain so it's not a fair comparison.  Corsair can Drag and KD, but he needs to gang up with friendly models which makes Scything Blow unwieldy.  No butcher tech works on oGutter.

4 hours ago, MechMage said:

Colossus has a 2" melee zone to easily provide gang ups without being caught by Scything Blows.  Tough Hide means that if he is caught in it, he'll probably survive.  He's got Singled Out on one hit and he's fast enough to keep up with Gutter or go in first if he has to.  He also has a relatively easy momentous knock down.  The end result is that with 2 influence, or 1 influence and Overclock, Colossus can grant Gutter +3 Tac and -1 TN which makes both Chain Grab and Scything Blow very achievable.

oRage comes close since he can Tooled Up Gutter and gang up safely with Maverick but it means forgoing his Berserk attack which is painful.  vRage is obviously great but he's a captain so it's not a fair comparison.  Corsair can Drag and KD, but he needs to gang up with friendly models which makes Scything Blow unwieldy.  No butcher tech works on oGutter.

Tough hide does nothing when a friendly gutter scyths him. Otherwise agreed on all fronts.

Unexpected arrival is a fantastic skill, off the charge. Close control, reach... He's solid all round.

He isn't a fighter though, he's a striker, that can take a bit of a beating.