• Announcements

• Mako

Tales of Infamy   12/13/2017

Looking for more Guild Ball content? Just in the last week we've had new episodes of Singled Out, Double Dodge, Strictly the Worst and Don't Touch the Beard, as well as blogs from ForestRambo and MidwestWargaming! Check out Tales of Infamy in the Guild Ball section
TheNatural

Is Skulk Tournament legal?

I have had a few locals ask me over the past couple days and I can not find an answer. With the SteamCon box being for general sale on Black Friday I would assume he is. Anyone have an official answer?

It depends.

If he is available at the event you are playing in or his model has been officially released then generally yes. If it is a local event (that is to say not a con or an event with a qualifier) then it is solely at the discretion of the TO.

If he isn't available at the event and hasn't been officially released (which is likely the case at time of posting) then he is more than likely not a legal model. Again this is almost universally subject to TO's discretion as the isn't a "list of legal models."

I wish that was less ambiguous but that is the way things are presently.

EDIT: As a bonus here the are models that are out in the wild that are more than likely not tournament legal right now at most events.

Farmers 2 (including LE Tater, LE Thresher and LE Buckwheat)
Blacksmiths 2 (Including LE Hearth)
Skulk

5 minutes ago, TheNatural said:

I would generally agree but Lucky is tournament legal, correct? That’s where my confusion comes from. 

Lucky is in a weird boat. We know for sure all of those other models are coming out in official releases at some point but as it stands the running theory is that Lucky is going to be a league/event exclusive. He is widely available in that any store can order the kit and run the event. I believe that for all intents and purposes the escalation league is his general release. This may change in the future though.

Lucky was Ruled/Announced on the Forum to be Tournament Legal by SFG.

Skulk hasn't been ruled as such yet, General Release If when the model Is available In your LGS, which which Skulk won't be until the Ratcatchers box Is released next year where Skulk will be In said box.

But SFG can officially ruled he Is legal before then but I haven't seen anything confirming that.

As a TO of an event you can allow Skulk but that Is up to the TO.     

Skulk was on Charles Nurser (Charles Nurser) team during the World Championship, I'm sure he even saw table time.. 

That combined with the fact anyone who wants one can buy one current makes me think he is legal, but today in doubt check with your TO before the event.. 

At world he was legal, so were the second boxes of farmers and blacksmith because they were available at that SFG event. If I'm not mistaken if I a model(boxe) is available to purchase at a SFG where a tournament is held, then they are legal at the event even if they are not available to general release. Anybody can corroborate this?

The OPD says

Models that have not yet been released to the general public at the time of the event are not permitted unless those models are readily available at the event venue (such as convention release models in tournaments held at that convention). Alternate sculpts (such as those available through the Guild Ball Kickstarter) are tournament legal

I guess it depends if being on sale for the last fortnight counts towards being available to the general public.. He's certainly easier to get hold of than Lucky was.. 

I do wish they would go back to the rule where minis need to be painted for official tournaments, bare plastic and undercoated farmers made worlds seem a bit less professional.. 

10 minutes ago, Redmaw said:

I guess it depends if being on sale for the last fortnight counts towards being available to the general public.. He's certainly easier to get hold of than Lucky was.. 

I do wish they would go back to the rule where minis need to be painted for official tournaments, bare plastic and undercoated farmers made worlds seem a bit less professional.. 

With the exception of models bought at the event, I thought they did all have to be painted? If my event is hosted by the LGS, I've allowing people to play with the plastics unpainted so long as they are purchased (or picked up) on the day.

36 minutes ago, ningu said:

With the exception of models bought at the event, I thought they did all have to be painted? If my event is hosted by the LGS, I've allowing people to play with the plastics unpainted so long as they are purchased (or picked up) on the day.

I understand this is to promote the pick up and play value of the new plastic boxes and for local stores or release events I think this is perfectly fine.. 

I just think big globally streamed events would be better if everything was painted and it's not hugely time consuming to add three colours and a wash..

I was surprised there was no painting area at this years Steamcon, wondering if they thought it was just under utilised space during the first one.. 

33 minutes ago, Redmaw said:

I understand this is to promote the pick up and play value of the new plastic boxes and for local stores or release events I think this is perfectly fine.. 

I just think big globally streamed events would be better if everything was painted and it's not hugely time consuming to add three colours and a wash..

I was surprised there was no painting area at this years Steamcon, wondering if they thought it was just under utilised space during the first one.. 

I completely agree. I enjoy going to tournaments where everything is painted, even if it can stop some people from entering.

It was a bit odd there wasn't a painting area at Steamcon. I know there were several people wanting to paint their new toys.

5 hours ago, Adran said:

Models that have not yet been released to the general public at the time of the event

I would consider a model available for purchase on the SFG webstore would count as "released to the general public,"  but the wording is tricky, I agree.

2 hours ago, Coach Z said:

Painting wasn't required for the LCQ and US Nats, but it was required for Worlds, as I understand it.

There was a specific list of what was allowed to be played unpainted. I don't know if anything was specifically differentiated between worlds and the rest of the weekend.

SCUS up until worlds was painting required except for plastic models, even Skulk had to be painted.

Worlds was painting required regardless of model material.

16 hours ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

I would consider a model available for purchase on the SFG webstore would count as "released to the general public,"  but the wording is tricky, I agree.

Can you buy it in a weeks time? if not then I think it doesn't count as released to the general public. If you were to start the game next week you ought to have access to the same models in a tournament as everyone else. So pre-releases, or limited sculpt releases,  that aren't available anymore don't count as released to the public

Lucky is starching that a little, but I guess the escalation pack is always available to store to buy and run.

4 hours ago, Adran said:

Can you buy it in a weeks time? if not then I think it doesn't count as released to the general public. If you were to start the game next week you ought to have access to the same models in a tournament as everyone else.

I think that's totally fair.

Not sure anyone takes these tournament restrictions seriously anymore. I remember when Seenah and Chaska were only available at Salute and in the Locker Room - everyone who wanted them had bought them, but then couldn't use them. Everyone grumbled and I believe things have relaxed a bit since.