• Announcements

• Mako

Tales of Infamy   12/13/2017

Looking for more Guild Ball content? Just in the last week we've had new episodes of Singled Out, Double Dodge, Strictly the Worst and Don't Touch the Beard, as well as blogs from ForestRambo and MidwestWargaming! Check out Tales of Infamy in the Guild Ball section
Mako

Winter Painting Contest

It’s cold outside (ok, not if you’re below the equator) and there’s always that lull around the new year where everyone needs something to do to keep them entertained. That being the case, it’s about time for another forum painting contest!

And what better time to have a contest where the theme is… Winter?

Any model you like from SFGs range (naturally, some models start out a bit more wintery, but don’t assume they’ll have a big advantage ;) ). We’ll be judging based on concept and mood, as well as technical skill.  You can do a display scene or a model on a gaming base, as long as it's only one model then anything else is pretty much up to you.

As usual, the rules:

Time runs until the 14th January at midnight GMT, any entries need to be posted in the relevant Final Entries thread by then. That thread will go live at the new year, and I’ll link to it here when it does.

One entry per person, and entries must be painted and based by the person submitting them. If you get stuff commission painted, they should be the one getting credit for it  

Max three photos for each entry, just so it’s a little easier to go through them all :)

Models must be on an appropriately sized base – you don’t have to have them on a gaming base, so if you have an idea for a little scene, go for it! 

Models can be from any SFG game, ie Dark Souls or Guild Ball

The Rewards:

Kudos to the winners as usual, and also these fabulous prizes courtesy of the  (insert game show effects here):

-First Place: Blacksmiths Master Crafted Arsenal box (wave 2)

-Second Place: Yuletide Hearth and Buckwheat

-Third Place: Solthecian Gutter and Coin

Photo Advice:

Because taking photos of models can be as tricky as painting them, a few points that might help.

-Try to take photos in soft daylight, like near a window that isn’t getting direct sun.

-Stand closer to the window/light source than the model is, to avoid backlighting.

-Use a mid-grey piece of paper or cloth behind and under the model rather than white, to avoid bleaching out colours.

-Crop the photos down before you post them, so we can see what you've done.

-for higher resolution and larger images, use a hosting service – imgur is a common one, but facebook and twitter also allow photos to be embedded as do various other platforms.

TL;DR – Paint any SFG model you like in a wintery theme by the 14th January, then post up some photos when the final entries thread goes live :D

Oh, and to reward people that give it a go, everyone that enters a contest from here on will get a little badge under their avatar. The more contests you enter, the closer you'll get to a gold/dubious yellow one ;)

Can I tempt anyone?

It's cold outside? Man it is predicted to hit 35 degrees celsius in my area today (arlound 95 farenheit for you Muricans)!!! Will be the perfect nudge to get me painting Skatha though....I'm in (really just want a digital badge).

1 hour ago, masterkdog said:

It's cold outside? Man it is predicted to hit 35 degrees celsius in my area today (arlound 95 farenheit for you Muricans)!!! Will be the perfect nudge to get me painting Skatha though....I'm in (really just want a digital badge).

Does that mean you’ll paint a winter themed model in shorts and a vest? :D

6 minutes ago, Mako said:

Does that mean you’ll paint a winter themed model in shorts and a vest? :D

Well why don't you just broadcast my idea all over the internet while you're at it? Haha.

I'll probably do a Union piece. Maybe I'll figure out how to post a picture for realz.

Closing date of January 14th huh? Clearly you get a pass because you're running this competition but for me that doesn't leave me nearly enough time to actually complete a model... :huh:

Ok. Fine. @Mako I'm a sucker for your competitions so let's see what I can come up with in the incredibly short amount of time you've given me. Roll on the speed painting (relatively speaking of course) :P

36 minutes ago, Zerachial said:

Closing date of January 14th huh? Clearly you get a pass because you're running this competition but for me that doesn't leave me nearly enough time to actually complete a model... :huh:

Ok. Fine. @Mako I'm a sucker for your competitions so let's see what I can come up with in the incredibly short amount of time you've given me. Roll on the speed painting (relatively speaking of course) :P

If I set it to the time I’d need to do a model, we’d get maybe one contest a year :P

I’m carefully not saying I’m entering this time, as I’ve DnF’d my last two contests...

23 minutes ago, Mako said:

If I set it to the time I’d need to do a model, we’d get maybe one contest a year :P

I'm ok with this timeline... :D

23 minutes ago, Mako said:

I’m carefully not saying I’m entering this time, as I’ve DnF’d my last two contests...

At least it wasn't DnS... amiright? :lol:

2 hours ago, Furnace said:

People who sign up and do nothing.. Will they gave a shaming badge? :D

There’s no shaming for not finishing, I’d have to keep shaming myself if I did that :P

3 hours ago, Furnace said:

Interesting. Maybe this will be what will break my hobby slump. I'll sign up. 

People who sign up and do nothing.. Will they gave a shaming badge? :D

We have to sign up?   How?

There’s no official sign up, but you can declare your intent here :)

You just have to post your entry when the finished entries thread opens, to earn the contestant badge and glory!

...well, the contestant badge anyway :P

One idea I've seen is to mix Baking Soda and PVA glue. Otherwise various companies make premium snow. GW used to have something if you can find it, otherwise Army Painter or others have snow-like products. 

12 minutes ago, ADG said:

This is the GW snow. It's quite good, but you can get through a pot very quickly:

Of course it's a "paint" and not a "basing material"... :mellow:

There's several things I use for snow.

First is what @Zerachial said - PVA and bicarbonate of soda (rather than baking powder, which in the UK has stuff in it that makes it turn a bit yellow after a while), mix it to a paste and paint it on as thick as you want, then sprinkle more on top. That tends to look quite wet and a little slushy, so it's great for roads, mud areas and footprints etc. You can add a little bit of white or ice blue paint (maybe even some metal pigment or very pale silver) to the bottom layer if you want to make it look more heavily packed and solid, and sprinkle more on top to give it a more frozen crust. Instead of PVA you can use acrylic texture gel to give it an icier look that you can sculpt into slush ridges.

The second is... well, a little less pleasant and safe. Glass microballoons, which get everywhere and are not good for you, makes fantastic sprinkle snow. Again, PVA or texture gel mixed into paste with it for the bottom layer, then sprinkle on top again. It's much more stark white and fluffy looking than bicarb, but even I wear a mask and latex gloves to work with it, do everything over a damp piece of kitchen paper to catch stray bits, don't do it anywhere near a window (or any draught source), etc etc. Keeping it contained while you use it is the hard part, but the results can be worth it if you want fresh crisp snow.. 

Cnanging the amount of powder in the paste, the thickness and shape you lay it on the base, and the amount you sprinkle on top gives you a lot of variability in your snow options, but it does take some fiddling. Modelling snow powder is quicker, cleaner and will give you the same result each time so in some cases it's the best choice :)

16 hours ago, Wynter said:

This seems like my bag

Care to hit us a pose over here in picture format so we can start painting our portraits? And yes, we'll paint you like one of the French girls.