LouisvillePitch

Playing Butchers at LCQ

Played my Butchers at LCQ this year and felt they did well. Went 4-2, but felt like it could have easily been a better record. My only losses where to Brewers (in the end made a bonehead mistake with a bad placement of Boiler after the opponents clock was out). I rushed because they where rushing, when I had plenty of clock, this cost me the game. The other loss came from Mason's against Charles (UK runner up champ), this was a very close game, bad dice verse Mallet really hurt me on an important activation during the game, this turn swung the game back into Charles's favor. I never felt like I was playing at a disadvantage in any of my games. Played Ox most of the day, only pulled out Fillet twice against Morticians and Alchemist. Some take a ways, Butchers aren't in a bad place right now, most of the meta at LCQ where playing ball killing brawling lists, this plays into what Butchers want to do. I ran into Farmers once and the Butchers played fine into it. I kicked off verse Farmers with Ox, the other player extended Tater too much, and I was able to get off a Marked Target on him. This led to tooled up Ox activating last, and charging into Tater. Left Tater with just a few health, won initiative, then activated Ox, legend, killed Tater, walked up and then killed Jackstraw. Was up 4-0, knew I would lose Ox next, but excepted it, because I knew they would have to throw a lot at him.  Spent the remainder of the turn positioning my other models to gain momentum, and get better positioning for the next turn. Then it was back and forth piece for piece, but once I had the lead I never let it go. Shank and Meathook did a lot of work, as well as Boar. All in all they didn't under perform, but I will say every game took a while, only once did I get an opportunity to score a goal all day, the rest of the time verse the teams I played, they would kill the ball, and make it a scrum. I didn't even have a Brisket as an option for my 10, had a feeling it would be scrum ball, so I played all killers all day. Also on a last note, all the competition was really good at the LCQ, no games where really a give me, and enjoyed everyone I played against. 

Ox is the way to go I feel. He's so much better vs most things out there at the moment and has as almost as much damage output as Fillet on his own now. All the Fillet brings is speed and is a bit better protected against the control teams, so I think using her as a swap in vs Morts and Alchemists is perfect. Well Played sir!

Was you main 6 Ox, Princess, Boar, Boiler, Meathook and Shank? Did you swap anyone else in? Union pick?

I think you're right about the LCQ and the US meta in general being decent for Butchers. Unfortunately the UK meta doesn't feel as friendly to us. Maybe blacksmiths and farmers will change that up a bit. I think we've got a strong game vs the smiths, at least.

Anyway, congrats!

Ben

I also played Charles and his dice were hot man. He is a hell of player.

My buddy Jeff Liu (Chinese guy that wore a red jacket) also went 4-2 with Butchers at the LCQ. I think he played mostly Fillet though. I'll get his lists from him and throw a write up in here. Or maybe I'll get him to make his own forum account finally. I'm pretty confident you two talked sometime at the tournament.

My team with Ox was mostly, Ox, Princess, Boiler, Meathook, Boar, and Shank. I did bring in Tenderiser verse Masons, wanted the counter charge on my end and target number increase. Masons had Mist and Flint. Had Gutter if I ran into Blacksmiths for anti armour. Yea we played side by side the last round (gave him a Butcher pin.)

I was the third 4-2 Butcher :P

Sounds like we were on very different lists too. 

I was running Fillet, Pig, Brisky, vBrisky, Meathook, Boiler, Boar,  Vox, Tenderizer, Minx

Tenderizer and Minx didn't make it onto the field, while Boiler saw one round against Ballista and oBrisky saw one round against shark. Every other round I played vBrisky Boar Hook and Vox.

Vet Rage is a horrible match up for butchers. He just does what we do but with better tools and less weaknesses. Better set-up (Benny, Gutter, Minx), better striker (Mist), better damage output (Gutter, Decimate, A&G). He himself might not be quite as powerful as Ox at support or Fillet at pure damage output, but he does both, whilst being more survivable than both and more efficient and reliable than Fillet and better at getting his support to where it's needed than Ox. He's basically just a safer more reliable way of playing butchers. He can get 2" melee zones without having to give up defence. Even the shared models are just better for him because he can bloody coin them but we can't tool them up or get them any benefit from the owner.

Anyway. rant over. My main problem is that when I'm playing against them, I'm usually playing against Henry Kay, so I'm doomed to failure anyway, lol.

@Pending Forum Suspension I played against your friend Jeff - we had a fun Fillet mirror match that had some really good back-and-forth. I ended up losing 12-6, but the game felt a lot tighter than that.

My experience at the LCQ was ... Farmers. I played into Thresher twice and Grange once. The Thresher games were rough. He feels like a super-Fillet. I got royally 12-0'd in one game and 12-6d in the other. The 12-6 game was winnable, but I made a dumb mistake that resulted in me wasting a Fillet activation and *not* killing Thresher. Game went downhill after that. I managed to 12-0 the Grange team, though. I think we've got a much better shot against his team than Thresher's.

I played Thresher once at the LCQ, I dropped Ox into him. I kicked off, juiced up Ox, tool up, Swift stance, and charged into Tater killing him. He came at Ox got him low, but was alive. Then I won the roll off, because he went minimum melee withThresher, I walked into Jack Straw, legendary, killed him, healed, and raised my armor. He tooled up, I swift stances Ox in cover. Took a lot of crowding out, a harvest marker, and all Threshers attacks to down him. All the while I’m bringing my team in from both flanks. The game was pulling piece for piece, but got up on the piece trade battle ended up winning 12-6. I snuck a Shank goal in as well, which put the game away.

12 hours ago, LouisvillePitch said:

I played Thresher once at the LCQ, I dropped Ox into him. I kicked off, juiced up Ox, tool up, Swift stance, and charged into Tater killing him. He came at Ox got him low, but was alive. Then I won the roll off, because he went minimum melee withThresher, I walked into Jack Straw, legendary, killed him, healed, and raised my armor. He tooled up, I swift stances Ox in cover. Took a lot of crowding out, a harvest marker, and all Threshers attacks to down him. All the while I’m bringing my team in from both flanks. The game was pulling piece for piece, but got up on the piece trade battle ended up winning 12-6. I snuck a Shank goal in as well, which put the game away.

This is good to hear. I've been theorycrafting that an aggressive model-trading strategy with Ox might work into Thresher, because we should do more damage and win the momentum race, and don't need as many things "up" in advance so can go early and maximise impact. Need to give it a go, though. Yet to play against him.