• Announcements

• Mako

Tales of Infamy   12/13/2017

Looking for more Guild Ball content? Just in the last week we've had new episodes of Singled Out, Double Dodge, Strictly the Worst and Don't Touch the Beard, as well as blogs from ForestRambo and MidwestWargaming! Check out Tales of Infamy in the Guild Ball section
Sign in to follow this  
THE_DOJO_MIKE

Blacksmith tourny 10

So I have been known to jump around guilds and finding new and challenging things to do. I have now set my sights on Blacksmiths. I enjoy playing competitively and would like several opinions on who you think should be left out and why. For me, I plan on leaving Anvil and Sledge at home for a few reasons. I really think the 2-2 or 3-0 game is the most optimal for BS's. Anvil and Sledge have only a few ways to help in the footballing aspect (While the iron, early tackle, long bomb pass) but, they are much more for the brawl.

Furnace is picked (made captain?) when you are looking for a 2-2 game. 

Hearth and Alloy seem to make the team every time. 

Ferrite is typically captain for goal scoring abilities. Major toolbox that is hard to leave home

Iron works well with her and has the same toolbox to work with. 

Cast over cinder if looking for a 2-2 game. 

Bolt and Farris look very interesting, "free" im open seems very useful after a free jog for positioning. Also shoemerang is a thing.

All in all, a very difficult drafting selection and would love to hear what you lovely people think about selection and why you pick certain models. Cheers!   

My current 10 is: Ferrite, Iron, Furnace, Cinder, Burnish, Cast, Hearth, Alloy, Farris and Bolt.

Here's some reasoning:

Anvil and Sledge - Anvil is largely setup for Sledge, and Sledge is somewhat redundant to Iron (especially with Hearth around). His fragility makes him a big target and I don't like him without Anvil despite liking him in general in the football game.

Burnish - is a boss into other smiths. His legendary turn can Flame Belch an apprentice out of existence with relative ease.

Cinder - don't love her, but she adds an element that is tough to deal with and can break up dead ball situations. Great with Hearth.

Alloy - seriously, he's the best player on the team. I chose to kick most games over the Steamcon weekend because the pressure that Alloy provides is insane.

Furnace - Is the best all around Master, and always seems to have a place.

Ferrite - Great legendary when she's captain, but man, I want my captain to be more of an action piece.

1 hour ago, Frostmane said:

Furnace - Is the best all around Master, and always seems to have a place.

Ferrite - Great legendary when she's captain, but man, I want my captain to be more of an action piece.

That is interesting, I actually switch those roles. Ferrite to me with disarm and weakpoint can go in and terrorize 2 targets. and then make herself scare with acrobatics. That along with the goal run makes her great for me. Furnace is a beater with 5 influence but he feels predictable. I need more play testing but this is a fun start. 

I don’t love Furnace in the Captain slot, but he feels like he’s always got some value to the team. Between Tooled Up, Searing Strike, and generally being good at playing the ball he feels like a strong midfield presence that can anchor a scrum.

Ferrite is obviously great, but outside of Legendary turn I don’t think she brings much to the captain role

I still think ferrite is the go to captain. She can cripple 2-3 models a turn with 5 influence, plus the legendary. Everything Furnace does he can do plenty well with a stack of 3. I usually put searing strike on 2 models and then either tool up cast, do more damage, or knock someone down. 

I could probably play most tournaments with the following 8 models: Ferrite, Iron, Furnace, Cast, Hearth, Alloy, Ferris, Bolt.

How is furnace a beater?  Even with 5 influence vs a 4/1 model he does:

1 - tool himself up

2 - attach for damage and remove the armour 6 dice at 4/1 is going to be 2 damage more often than not, plus burning.

3-5 = 3 damage each on averages. 

11 damage out of a 5 stack doesn't wow me.

I see him as a setup model.  Go into scrum pop the bubble to be disruptive, hit a couple of models for burning and tool up cast (so she's now 4 damage on 2 hits vs the burning players). 3 inf to do all that though.

I'm finding more and more that Ferrite, Iron, Hearth and Alloy make every team I draft which essentially makes the last six slots flex picks.

The extra four I always take: 

Furnace - love him, on his Legendary turn he can get himself stuck into a scrum and tie up some models. His 3/8 Kick and Tooled Up are also welcome additons

Cinder - IMHO an under rated player who is a viable kick off option if you want to hold Alloy back and can semi-recover the ball from alot of placed with Kill the Ball. 

Burnish - have a new found respect for him - food for thought, on Ferrite Legendary turn he can apply both Burning and Hobbled under the 3" template . . . 

Cast - she goes in with either Furnace or Burnish if I'm playing for a 2-2 game (opponent depending) 

Grampa GenX can't decide between the "Tutelage Pairs":

Farris and Bolt - look great on paper but I just can't get them to click for me on the pitch - likely because a naturally favour the 2-2 rather than 3-0 game. I'll need to commit to practicing more with them

Anvil and Sledge - out classed by other options but I still like them. I really like the Turn one 2" Dodge from Anvil plus Sledge has proven to be a capable ball retriever.

32 minutes ago, Alphadork said:

Burnish - have a new found respect for him - food for thought, on Ferrite Legendary turn he can apply both Burning and Hobbled under the 3" template . . . 

This!!! This is why I love the forums lol. Would have never thought about that!

On 12/5/2017 at 10:35 AM, Frostmane said:

Burnish - is a boss into other smiths. His legendary turn can Flame Belch an apprentice out of existence with relative ease.

Are you the Canadian that whooped me with Burnish at SteamCon? in the mirror?

regardless I echo that sentiment. 

My 10 is everyone except Farris and Bolt at the moment. I just don't get them yet and I feel very strongly about everyone else, at least in that I understand their roles and I know what they are capable of.

1 hour ago, UTasteSoSo said:

Are you the Canadian that whooped me with Burnish at SteamCon? in the mirror?

regardless I echo that sentiment. 

My 10 is everyone except Farris and Bolt at the moment. I just don't get them yet and I feel very strongly about everyone else, at least in that I understand their roles and I know what they are capable of.

I played the mirror with Burnish but it was against a Chicago local

I feel Anvil Sledge are my drops. Sledge is too reliant on Anvil to work. And Anvil is just too slow and obvious. Also I Hate that his Singled Out is on 3. That’s...just bad. And sledge is too easy to take out. Maybe I need more time with them. But for now if I had to pick 10, goodbye. Now, if I have to pick 8 (which I think is a dumb idea but that’s for another thread) then I would drop Burnish and Cinder. 

4 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

If I was to play I'd drop Anvil / Sledge. I feel Farris, Hearth, Ferrite, Alloy, Bolt & Flex spot would be my standard 6 and I'd rotate people in / out accordingly. 

This has been my usual 5 +flex. I have taken cinder the most because this is my 3 goal lineup and I am trying to get comfortable with it first.

I will then look into the 2-2 possibilities first with Burnish, Furnace, Ferrite, Cast, and two of the three of Iron, Cinder, or Alloy. Leaning more towards Iron and alloy as they can do both killing and ballin.