EpicChris

Anvil and Sledge...a disappointment? Any Tips?

I played against opponent using box 1 yesterday, I found they worked perfectly well.  Now, I was only playing my 4th game with hunters and was trying out models to see what things did but still saw the threat from them.

First couple of turns he didn't get more than 1 inf, just to run up behind anvil & furnace.  Once people started to get engaged in the middle of the pitch he can then stick his head round the corner and put the smack down on whoever was around with the +3 hits from tutelage but it still relatively safe with the two masters keeping anyone away from him.

IM still working on these two. I quite like their design and want to see them do some work for me. I think there are a few important things to keep in mind. 

1) You don't need every bit of setup all of the time! So you want to set up a charge into a KD model that has been singled out and is crowed with a pile driver/tutelage attack from Sledge and watch in glee as you opponents model explodes and they weep openly at the table, right?!?... How often could you manufacture that? IF you managed it once would you opponent ever let it happen again? How much more could you have done with those resources? 

2)If you throw sledge into scrum expect he doesn't make it out. - He is decently tough when hiding next to a sentinel but in almost every other circumstance he is gonna be prey. He is a 'fire and forget' tomahawk missile IMO.

I think if you keep those two ideas in mind and play accordingly there will be some success with this duo. Singled out helps everyone, not just sledge and while the iris hot is a very cool group reposition as well. 

After looking at my tournament 10 and reevaluating different players, I started playtesting anvil and sledge a bit more. They are amazing when they work, and have found it easier than anticipated to keep sledge safe. (Disclaimer, I have not played against a true scrum style team yet, only fish, hunters, and alchemist) Any team that wants to send 1-3 players into the scrum I feel like anvil and sledge can hold their own with maybe one other master while the other 3 are off hunting goals. Will post more after more playtesting. 

I like A/Sfor that. But I also think Furnace/Cast achieves the same effect. Combined with Iron’s mom 7 and Instruction, I don’t really see the point in A/S. I mean prepping someone with Dirty Knives and or Shield Glare is better than Anvils setup and easier to do. 

I just think A/S Don’t fit my playstyle. But I’m also not convinced they aren’t replaced by other team members. If Anvil was 2” and the SO was on 1-2 and Sledge was 1/4 then I’d be more enthused. But 1/3 on Sledge is so annoying compared with 1/4 on Iron and Cast. 

Posted (edited)

With a tackle on 1, 3/6 kick and Longbomb, I see Sledge as a decent ball retriever who can batter most strikers with ease - he dies too easily in the scrum.

Tried playing him more in a sweeper role this week with Anvil/Hearth gumming up the center, Iron providing fast muscle, Ferrite & Alloy on the wings for a 13-10 win over Hammer Masons. Being able to ping a 10" pass that can't be intercepted is gold with fast strikers.

Edited by Pinball
Spelling

I will be working them into a lineup or two over the next few weeks. Ive all but committed to Smiths this year so I need to explore all 12 players... I feel like they can do work but seem to get over shadowed rather than be just bad choices.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:02 PM, UTasteSoSo said:

I will be working them into a lineup or two over the next few weeks. Ive all but committed to Smiths this year so I need to explore all 12 players... I feel like they can do work but seem to get over shadowed rather than be just bad choices.

Keep us posted with your experiences? I'd be very interested in reading about those. I have the Smiths too but I'm at the moment adamant about unlocking how the Fishers are supposed to be played and that is a puzzle I can't seem to unlock, so I'm a bit occupied with that myself