Mako

Falconers!

So... minor guild revealed as falconers with some interesting looking art and sculpts (I think... hard to tell from the pictures I saw :P )

I’ve done some falconry, and raptors are fantastic birds, my favourite animals. So I’m sold regardless :)

What do people think they’ll bring the hunters, and do we know/suspect which hunters will get to play for them?

10 minutes ago, Mako said:

So... minor guild revealed as falconers with some interesting looking art and sculpts (I think... hard to tell from the pictures I saw :P )

I’ve done some falconry, and raptors are fantastic birds, my favourite animals. So I’m sold regardless :)

So people still actually do falconry? Kinda cool.

What do people think they’ll bring the hunters, and do we know/suspect which hunters will get to play for them?

If we look at it from thematic point of view, I would guess Egret, Zarola or one of the Hearnes. Jaegar and Chaska use traps, and trapping and falconry seem like they wouldn't mix. Ulfr and Seenah on the other hand don't seem disciplined enough.

Although, the decision could be based on fluff or game mechanic reasons just as well, which makes it anyone's guess.

Well, Bryce should know :D

How I missed that when I read the list, I have no idea!

Falconry is great. You just have to remember not to hold up the wrong arm. Those talons can be felt even through the heavy leather gloves...

6 minutes ago, GeroJr said:

Where can I find pictures/names? Yes, I'm a very bad information hunter. :(

YouTube video of the event and various Facebook posts showing the shots. 

2 minutes ago, Sitaavanu said:

Friend at the convention stated thats VSeenah.  Apparently she was a druid trapped in bear form and has broken out now.

So Vet Seenah is a thing....hot!

Ghost bear is all right, but (and I even surprise myself a little with this given it’s a big model with interesting paint options) I’m more intrigued as to which birds of prey will be used :D

The Barn owls in the field behind my house are awesome (and when you hear them shriek just as you’re falling asleep it’s a brief moment of terrifying!), but there’s several great owl options. Eagle owls are big beasts, in the “can you prop up my gloves hand? This bird is too heavy” range. They hit prey with about the same force as a .357, which is just nuts.

Harris hawks are the only raptors that hunt in family groups, and probably my favourite of all. Leaves it open for a two model pair...

White tailed or sea eagles are big and vicious, and kind of impressive just for that.

There’s a whole pile of other options, but those would be my picks. After all, you can swap a lot of species of similar size with a paint job, but those are physically different.

Granted, no bird is actually tame and affectionate - they’re trained and controlled by restricting food, they don’t feel any loyalty to you, so the whole thing needs a bit of hand waving for fun reasons, but I reckon there’s some good species-based stuff that could go on. And the possibility of some great models :)

20 minutes ago, Mako said:

They hit prey with about the same force as a .357, which is just nuts.

I'm fairly sure this factoid isn't correct. Mostly, because if the .357 bullet hits something that an owl would hunt, it would go clean through and leave the force of impact quite low. And even if the bullet and the owl stopped equally quickly when they hit the target, a large owl has more energy than even your heavier .357 rounds. A heavy 180 gr (12g) bullet travelling at 1400 ft/s (430m/s) would have around around the same amount of energy as a large 10 Pound (4,5kg) eurasian eagle-owl traveling at around 50 mph (22m/s), which is around their speed in level flight. They can certainly dive much faster than that.

The owl hits harder.

I never sat and did the maths, I’ve just watched them flying and believed an expert when he said it’s roughly the same energy. Though for clarity, it was separate occasions I flew them and learned that - there was a falconer on a podcast episode I watched live, so he may have been talking about a smaller bird and I wasn’t paying enough attention. I’ll check with someone that was there and more awake ;)

Its one heck of a punch to the back of the neck either way :D

Update - I was misremembering, it’s a peregrine falcon. That tiny, adorable high speed bundle of angry!