• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
Quick Ben

New to Morticians - Advice would be lovely

Hi, i have just purchased the entirety of the Morticians to get started in guild ball. i picked them as my favourite looking team. I also bought Mist on the recommendation of my friend who said Mist was the morticians best striker

I don't have the new Ratcatcher guy Skulk though i want to proxy him until hes released and i own him.

What are some good line ups? initially i'm thinking Obulus + Dirge. Obulus is really cool and Dirge seems like hes cool too because hes got Singled Out to buff everyone elses attacks. Casket seems hard not to bring, he controls the middle of the board and Casket Time seems like it can be game winning. Next up is Graves, who gives out Tooled up which seems awesome. hes got a low tackle and his individual attacks seem very strong when he can move on up and poke two or three players who have already activated for bleed. that's kinda like having 4 damage on column 1 and momentous 5 damage on column 3, with a disclaimer it only works the first time vs someone and the other disclaimer they can't heal it all in one go since its split between 'real damage' and 'condition that will cause damage later'

so a core i can see myself taking almost every game of Obulus, Dirge, Casket and Graves1, and then i can't decide on the remaining two players. i'm really considering the Rat Catcher guy because he seems hard to kill (free counter, << on 2, tac6) but also a huuuuge pain. Mist seems like a good striker. Silence seems absolutely insane apart from the fact he has no way to survive being attacked. 

Everyone here plays with Guild Identity Cards as well. I've seen the three mortician ones and as far as i can tell, the two best ones are Inheritance Tax because gaining influence is really powerful, and Ghost Shot because it increases the ability to score goals. Which do people usually play with? 

For me there is only one GIC worth taking - Ghost Shot.

Your thoughts are quite correct. My basic setup is Obs, Dirge and Graves 1. But there is no perfect rooster in GB and You have to pick players depending on matchup You play. Everything but vGraves and Vileswarm is a viable option in certain circumstances.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, most of the teams being played in the ongoing US nationals seems to be a variation of those picks. If you have access to all the models, I'd suggest giving Brainpan + Memory a go aswell, they are really fun, but they might not be your cup of tea! (Excellent momentum generator, janky goal possibilities, good hitting power, especially combined with Tooled Up from Graves1.) I think Obulus, Dirge, Casket, Graves1, BP + M and Mist is a solid team. (Though I am quite new to Morticians myself)

10 hours ago, el009 said:

For me there is only one GIC worth taking - Ghost Shot.

Your thoughts are quite correct. My basic setup is Obs, Dirge and Graves 1. But there is no perfect rooster in GB and You have to pick players depending on matchup You play. Everything but vGraves and Vileswarm is a viable option in certain circumstances.

Why is Ghost Shot so good in your opinion? i know it means you can get a little bit extra distance on goals, is that really critical for morts? i'll give it a go, maybe using Bonesaw

9 hours ago, Frepet said:

Sounds like you are off to a good start, most of the teams being played in the ongoing US nationals seems to be a variation of those picks. If you have access to all the models, I'd suggest giving Brainpan + Memory a go aswell, they are really fun, but they might not be your cup of tea! (Excellent momentum generator, janky goal possibilities, good hitting power, especially combined with Tooled Up from Graves1.) I think Obulus, Dirge, Casket, Graves1, BP + M and Mist is a solid team. (Though I am quite new to Morticians myself)

my very first game was /almost/ that list, i just used a proxied skulk as a goalie instead of BPM because it seems like his damage is okay as long as hes bopping someone with help. I have to say i'm a little bit confused about the puppet, is it a pure damage dealer? the tackle is only on brainpan but hes just TAC3 and unless the puppet is already up near the goal you can't score off that.

1 hour ago, Quick Ben said:

Why is Ghost Shot so good in your opinion? i know it means you can get a little bit extra distance on goals, is that really critical for morts? i'll give it a go, maybe using Bonesaw

They are really bad at kicking in general, so instead of having completely useless kickvalues they at least get some distance. It's the Slogan for Ghost Shot, but I agree with it: They are able to "play from weird angles". The extra range is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Quick Ben said:

my very first game was /almost/ that list, i just used a proxied skulk as a goalie instead of BPM because it seems like his damage is okay as long as hes bopping someone with help. I have to say i'm a little bit confused about the puppet, is it a pure damage dealer? the tackle is only on brainpan but hes just TAC3 and unless the puppet is already up near the goal you can't score off that.

I see BPM as an opportunistic Goalscorer, but a pretty good one at that. If I think about it, the Morts are actually all opportunistic in every way. They just create those opportunities by threatening and controlling. 

The big things with BPM are:

Everytime someone activates, the puppet dodges 2".
I'm open. One of the best abilities they have in my opinion
The interaction between puppet and Brainpan. You have a kick of 4/8 when passing to that puppet and then the puppets dodge doesn't cost you momentum. All those effects take place when the Brainpan interacts with the puppet. Now imagine the following, getting the ball off with Puppetmaster, dodging, then walking and passing it to Bonesaw. At that point in Round 2 or 3 the puppet should be pretty close to the goal, so a simple I'm ope on Bonesaw, walking, passing to the puppet and kicking it in the goal, voila. 

But yes, it also does a lot of damage, especially on wrapping. The momentum generation is also quiet good. Everytime I don't use him I feel like something is missing.

18 hours ago, Quick Ben said:

In season 2 Morts tended to be take-out oriented bu these times are gone now. With less influence, less union players and nerfed obulus we can't keep up in smashing faces. You just can't outfight other teams as they hit harder or are tougher. We have to be more focused on scoring now but we don't even have solid striker but Mist. Most of our players is 2/6 kick and that's pathetic. If they are engaged or there is someone on the ball path it gets even worse. Ghost shot makes a huge difference. You not only get free 2" of kick but also increase tap-in range and You can shot around enemy players. If GIC are allowed - Ghost Shot is a no-brainer for me ;) Keep in mind that it works only with friendly guild models and Memory can't just drop the ball as it has no activation.

2 minutes ago, el009 said:

but also increase tap-in range

Quick interlude from my side, I asked about this in the Rules Section. The Model that kicks has to be inside 4", not the ball, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Cole said:

Quick interlude from my side, I asked about this in the Rules Section. The Model that kicks has to be inside 4", not the ball, unfortunately.

That's plain supid for me but well...

7 minutes ago, el009 said:

That's plain supid for me but well...

Still quiet the range.

Since I used this GIC, Bonesaw - and frankly everyone else as well - became so much better. I had a situation where I left the ball on the ground for Graves, walked to the chicken, generated momentum by pushing it around a bit and then kicked the ball from over 9" into the goal. Bonesaw himself kicks at least 1 goal per game for me aswell. 

Unfortunately, that makes this GIC mandatory. But it's good nontheless.