Sign in to follow this  
JacctheInsomniac

What do you guys use Salvo for?

Just a quick one, I mean the obvious answer is a mix of control through Arrow to the Knee, and goal-scoring with above average footballing. His damage output seems too costly and risky for little payoff.

Does he make people's lineups? Does he pull his own weight?

Or does he need help if so what kind?

I use him rarely. But when I do, I use him to grab a free ball or to let Hoist do it. I can play a game with 4 strikers (PV, Velocity, Hoist), so the ball is never safe and can be approched from different angles. Salvo usually doesn't get any Inf unless something goes wrong and he is needed.

I use him in my goal scoring lineup as a 4th striker.  But he doesn't get more than 1 inf unless it's kickoff or I need him to do something when I'm allocating. Usually the threat of his heroic is strong enough to change the game a lot. Best used against Fish/Alchs. Great model for passing the ball to a snapshot turret with his 8 inch kick.

I have noticed that he is a better player against blacksmiths than Velocity, so I use him instead of her in that matchup.

Overall his greatest strength is his heroic and 8 inch kick. If you can use the heroic and it does something useful he's a great player. If he uses it and the effect is irrelevant, probably not a good player for the matchup. Also a team made for snapshotting loves 8 inch kickers for the pass ranges.

2 minutes ago, blueboyzcaptain said:

I have noticed that he is a better player against blacksmiths than Velocity, so I use him instead of her in that matchup.

Doesn't the lack of Close Control make him significantly worse in that match-up?

Neither want to hold the ball for more than a turn, and velocity can't get the ball off any blacksmith player to begin with since they have multiple tac debuffs and armor buffs. So if their playbook is irrelevant, salvo does more. Pretty simple.

I like Salvo...

• He is a proper striker now i.e. 8" move and 3/8" kick.
  • If the opponent is playing silly buggers with the ball (i.e. caging it, rather taking possession), he can get it back.
  • His heroic enables him to do his CPs for free, so can do stuff without influence (this often surprises people, because no one plays him)
  • He makes Mechanical Heart worth thinking about. I have won games with Mechanical Heart and Controller on Salvo because people didn't see it coming

Ultimately, he is a little tool box that does useful things when your opponent isn't really expecting it

I use Salvo when kicking, hoping for the onside kick (e.g. kick just over the line out of range of an opponent's models, scatter somewhere where a jog + tether + pass gets it to my back line or within scoop distance of Mainspring).

Since he's usually advanced on the wing, I find he will end up being the first goal threat while the more durable mechanica get into goal run / snapshot range and the bruisers lock down the middle of the field for the kickoff after the score.

I rarely take him when receiving, though when I do it's as a gunner with Ballista, then the tackler + passer for the snapshot threat or opportunistic free ball retrieval after my first goal.

I bring Salvo in all my line ups due to lack of models but Ive come to really love him as a player. For me he shines as a harassing model with his free flurry for an MP and as my other wing with velocity for goal scoring. 

He is tough to catch, hard to kill and he dodges for days and under the right circumstances can be a life saver against opposing strikers.

He is one of those models you will appreciate when you get him on the field.