Sign in to follow this  
malladin.ben

So... Cutlers..?

For those who haven't spotted, there's a massive Easter Egg in the Gutter story. Someone who appears to be very "like Ox or the Master Brewer".

He's also described as having long knives and a whetstone. The Whetstone itself seems a peculiar detail to mention. He's obviously someone with a keen interest in keeping his knives as sharp as possible. Possibly a professional interest...?

It may be a stretch, but I think this gentleman is likely to be the captain of the butcher's-linked minor guild. Perhaps that isn't much of a stretch in itself, but the whetstone makes me think it could be a clue to what the minor guild is, and that it is Cutlers - makers of knives (along with forks, spoons, cake slices, etc)

Anyway, for this thread let's go with it being Cutlers. What do we think they'd do and how do we think they'd be similar to, and what ways different from, Butchers?

What are your thoughts?

Firstly, what would the elevator pitch for the team be? We've seen from the Ratcatchers that they are similar to the morticians in that they are a control team, but rather than just denying your opponent options, they force them to choose between two bad options. The cutlers will be a team similar in may ways to the Butchers, so I think we can expect momentous burst-damage to be a thing they do, and probably to be largely glass cannons. But what might they add that's new?

A Cutlers guild, to me, suggests lots of knife-themed abilities.

Anatomical Precision feels like a key ability, and, on initial expectations, I would expect several in the team to have it. That said, I can see a team with lots of AP being a fairly consistent bad match up for a team that relies on armour for it's defence, like blacksmiths or masons.

Dirty Knives also seems like a likely thing to have in there. Although, they might object to their knives being called "dirty", so maybe a similar ability but without Poison.

Does manipulation of the Bleed condition also fit with the theme?

I'm also wondering about some playbook triggered control character plays, like Hamstring. These are effects you rarely see used, but if they were momentous and/or came with damage they might see more play, and could make a useful control option.

That said, I'm not sure control will be a theme for them, mainly because it seems to move a bit away from what the Butchers do.

One of the ideas I had for the Chandlers was that they have to damage themselves to get their effects off. I think this could also fit with the Cutlers ("the knife cuts both ways"), and might be a way of emphasising the glass cannon aspect of butchers in the new guild in a new way, especially if it is doing so that really lets them hit their burst damage effects.

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

9 minutes ago, Priesmal said:

Cutler's battle cry must be:

"SPOOOOOON!!!"

I'd be fine with that, I could then pretend I went for the Wooden Spoon on purpose... :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

I'd be fine with that, I could then pretend I went for the Wooden Spoon on purpose... :ph34r:

No one would fall for that crazy talk.

18 minutes ago, Priesmal said:

Cutler's battle cry must be:

"SPOOOOOON!!!"

FORK YOOOOUUUU!!!!

On 12/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, Rendorin said:

"I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon!"

Because it's dull you twit! It'll hurt more!

On 12/4/2017 at 6:16 PM, malladin.ben said:

Would the blue raja fit in there somewhere? 

Isn't he called Stab Man or Knifey Boy?