Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar Rok

Farmers, Farmers, Farmers...

Took my Skatha lineup to a LGS last night, feeling good. Seenah had just shown up and was ready to roll. I met a buddy of mine, playing Farmers, and we had agreed to play a match. He warned me ahead of time about the Harvest Markers, Windle, and just how non fun it can be to play against them, plus he's a very good player.

Bah, I shook it off.

Hunters

Skatha

Fahad

VHearne

Jaecar

Ulfr

Seenah

Farmers

Grange

Peck 

Windle

Jackstraw

Harrow

Bushel

Did I mention he also plays Hunters? He also plays Hunters.

I kick off with Seenah, and basically move my team trying to stay away from Windle and Grange. He scores an early TO on VHearne, which was my fault for engaging him with Windle, and Jackstraw. I left Hearne hanging out by Seenah, Hearne paid the price. Windle is no joke. 

2-0

I actually score on my first turn with some nice play by Skatha and Jaecar.  Jaecar is just a flippin house, that guy can pretty much do it all. He turned Bushel into a punching bag numerous times. Yeah, he's hitting a girl, a FARM Girl, she's tougher than she looks. 

4-2

Stayed this way for a bit, mostly punching back and forth, jockeying for position. One thing I learned too late in the game is to charge/run over the Harvest markers. This was lack of knowledge of the FArmers. I won't make that mistake again...probably dawned on me the turn he had 16 influence to divvy up. 

My opponent takes out Seenah next, with yeah, you guessed it, Windle. That guy. I had him and Seenah just brawling in the center of the pitch. Berserk is real, real dangerous. I wasn't too bummed tho, Seenah had done tremendous damage to Windle before it was TO. 

4-4

He positioned Jackstraw on my end with the Fart Cloud and the ball. My team is on his end of the pitch trying to score, and keep distance away from Grange. Turn ends.

Seenah comes back in and promptly shreds JackStraw, gets the ball, and boots it up the pitch. I actually end up getting the ball all the way down the pitch to Jaecar, who's milling around the Farmer's goal. He gets another sweet goal.

8-4.

I like this team, and where it's going.

He ends up getting the ball back down the pitch with some great ball movement, and scores with JackStraw. 

8-8

I take heed and work the ball up the left side of the pitch where Skatha is. I am looking to seal the deal with a 3rd goal, but plans go awry as he takes Ulfr out with Grange and Bushel. I have not figured out Ulfr yet. I leave him out on his island, he dies. I bring him into the fray, he dies. It seems he needs that 3rd or even 4th INF, but then Jaecar seems to need that 4 INF each turn as well. Perhaps fielding them both is not a good idea. Egret perhaps?

8-10

In the meantime I have run Fahad over two harvest markers. I steal the ball with Jaecar, and boot it over to Skatha. She's on the left of the pitch, about 3/4 of the way up. I end the turn with her, tucked behind an obstacle, ball within reach. I am not sure how it will play out. I have Ulfr jog back on toward Skatha. I can win this game in two activations.

He wins the roll. Opts to go first....NOOOOOO. He charges Skatha with Grange, I spend my MoM to defensive stance. He KD's her, luckily i didn't have the ball, so it sticks. He then proceeds to push her about 4 inches away straight back from the ball, behind a impassible bunch of crates. I activate, i need MoM to do anything with her, I use Jaecar to generate MoM, pass the turn. He doesn't kill Fahad, leaves him on four boxes...So you're saying there's a chance!

I activate Skatha, spend 1 MoM to stand, snowball to Ulfr (she was fully loaded) , 1 MoM, she collects the ball, drops an ice patch. Ulfr spends one to dodge 4" closer to the goal. I pass him the real ball and pass.

He flippin kills Fahad with Windle, and had given him "Snack Break".

8-12. 

So, great game. The team played pretty well. At first I tried a smash mouth game, trying to take out my opponent's players. When that wasn't working I decided it was going to need to be a 3 goal game. I literally was one activation from winning, or at least kicking a 3rd goal attempt. I learned that to play against Farmers, you must remove the Harvest markers. 

I am not sold on an Ulfr Jaecar lineup, both need so much INF to do what you want them to do.  I think Egret or Minx. Minx brings another free charge.

I was happy during my 3rd game with this team. The first two games,(Morts, Alchemists) were miserable, fumbling around, and I lost both badly. This game, it felt good to have goals scored.

23905341_10215143022119261_1437652677769524009_n.jpg

Picture of kickoff by Seenah. The dice don't reflect actual score, or MoM. Damn that bear has a huge gap that needs to be filled. Paint is still a WIP.

Sounds like a close game my friend, nicely done.

May I suggest something? as Skatha can already give Seenah a 6" extra movement (and it threatens 9" anyway) maybe try kicking with either Skatha or Jaecar? Skatha can threaten a first activation goal pretty well with Snowball, Fast ground and she loves to take all the dodges off the 0 armor players. Jaecar can be used to kick off on one extreme flank and very often the person who comes to collect the ball (Though if they have a player with UP Ulfr can do this, just not as well) Jaecar then do 4 momentous damage results and put them in a position where Jaecar finish them off the turn after. 

Kicking off with Seenah is good, but people will just stay out of her 9", so I think you can more use out of kicking off with another player and leveraging Skathas ability to project anyones  threat 6" further then it actually is. 

That said it's your game and if it's working for you, rock on dude. 

5 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Sounds like a close game my friend, nicely done.

May I suggest something? as Skatha can already give Seenah a 6" extra movement (and it threatens 9" anyway) maybe try kicking with either Skatha or Jaecar? Skatha can threaten a first activation goal pretty well with Snowball, Fast ground and she loves to take all the dodges off the 0 armor players. Jaecar can be used to kick off on one extreme flank and very often the person who comes to collect the ball (Though if they have a player with UP Ulfr can do this, just not as well) Jaecar then do 4 momentous damage results and put them in a position where Jaecar finish them off the turn after. 

Kicking off with Seenah is good, but people will just stay out of her 9", so I think you can more use out of kicking off with another player and leveraging Skathas ability to project anyones  threat 6" further then it actually is. 

That said it's your game and if it's working for you, rock on dude. 

Thanks for the advice, it's very appreciated. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you kick with another player, you have have the bear in basically the middle, which causes a level or respect from your opponent, because they don't want to over commit and be a victim to Seenah's charge, which increases dramatically with Skatha. 

So is the bear an auto include in Skatha lists? Sort of like the enforcer that keeps your opponent honest?

I haven't played many games with the Hunters, mostly experienced with Morts, so that being said, any and all suggestions that may make me a better player are always appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Ragnar Rok said:

Thanks for the advice, it's very appreciated. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you kick with another player, you have have the bear in basically the middle, which causes a level or respect from your opponent, because they don't want to over commit and be a victim to Seenah's charge, which increases dramatically with Skatha. 

So is the bear an auto include in Skatha lists? Sort of like the enforcer that keeps your opponent honest?

I haven't played many games with the Hunters, mostly experienced with Morts, so that being said, any and all suggestions that may make me a better player are always appreciated.

Generally with Skatha I will kick with her. She threatens the ball from a kick off as enables any one of her teammates to engage turn one, (Normally Jaecar) as well having a good last activation if she can get a snapback goal. If I think they lack a "good" ball retrieval player I'll do a short kick with Jaecar, then eat someone faces with him.  

From a competitive standpoint I can't justify Seenah. She just falls short, she brings 0 influence to the team and her damage output just doesn't warrant her massive tax on the team (Windle is a great model to compare it to). She isn't useless and is fun to use but as she currently isn't in my 10 man roster she rarely sees the table unless I'm mucking around at a con or something with casual games. 

I typically bring Skatha, Fahad, Ulfr, vHearne, Jaecar & Minx. Jaecar, Fahad & Minx keep people just fine. 

5 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

Generally with Skatha I will kick with her. She threatens the ball from a kick off as enables any one of her teammates to engage turn one, (Normally Jaecar) as well having a good last activation if she can get a snapback goal. If I think they lack a "good" ball retrieval player I'll do a short kick with Jaecar, then eat someone faces with him.  

From a competitive standpoint I can't justify Seenah. She just falls short, she brings 0 influence to the team and her damage output just doesn't warrant her massive tax on the team (Windle is a great model to compare it to). She isn't useless and is fun to use but as she currently isn't in my 10 man roster she rarely sees the table unless I'm mucking around at a con or something with casual games. 

I typically bring Skatha, Fahad, Ulfr, vHearne, Jaecar & Minx. Jaecar, Fahad & Minx keep people just fine. 

I want to try Minx, I just can't find her for sale. 

Yeah, if you're running Skatha, you're pretty much always going to want to kick off with her. Even if you don't think you' going to get a first turn goal/ball recovery, the threat she poses is unique and will warp the way your opponent has to play. Plus, if your opponent commits to protecting the ball, she can always get her teammates into a better position with Snowball and Fast Ground. The point here is to leave yourself as many options as possible and leave open the possibility to jump on an opponent's mistake.

Seenah isn't an auto-include, but definitely one of your top options in my opinion. Jaecar is the only autopick with Zarola and Minx close behind. Zarola's ability to get set up a goal run or bear charge lets you save some momentum and delay your critical activations early in the game. Meanwhile, Minx brings so much influence efficiency and set up ability in a guild that needs lots of both. My usual six are Skatha, Fahad, Jaecar, Zarola, Minx, Seenah/oHearne/Ulfr. I use Skatha and Jaecar as my main playmakers who chase/set up take outs and hunt for goals while Zarola keeps people in position and occasionally kills the ball. Minx hangs out on the edge of the pitch and either commands enough respect to pull another player out to deal with her or hit and runs your opponent for Snare and some momentum.

My last pick is dependent on the match up. I don't want to run Seenah into guilds like Blacksmiths, Brewers, vRage Union, and other guilds who are either tough enough to withstand the charge or can just blow the bear up. But into squishier teams or grinders that don't have explosive damage, I like Seenah a lot. Even if the bear doesn't manage a take out, it demands a ton of attention and maintains the threat of accelerating through game through Bear Hug. I've actually won a coule of times because getting a take out with Bear Hug made taking out the mascot valuable :)

Ulfr is there if I need to go for more of a 2/2, 3/0 build. I generally actually leave him in the middle of the field with my team and try to get the ball on him off of a goal kick or in traffic. That way, he stays safe from enemy beaters and has much easier set up to hit someone, bounce away and then go score his goal. The more I play him, the more Lone Hunter feels like a trap. A nice buff when he does need to charge someone but generally not strong enough to let him win a 1 on 1 or even recover the ball effectively.

Meanwhile, oHearne doesn't have a ton of synergy with Skatha, but he's so much better than vHearne now as a set up model and only slightly slower. If you can get a Singled Out on a critical target, Skatha suddenly becomes a much scarier brawler. Plus, allowing Zarola to use a character play for the cost of one momentum is nothing to sneeze at.

1 hour ago, Penguin Warrior said:

Yeah, if you're running Skatha, you're pretty much always going to want to kick off with her. Even if you don't think you' going to get a first turn goal/ball recovery, the threat she poses is unique and will warp the way your opponent has to play. Plus, if your opponent commits to protecting the ball, she can always get her teammates into a better position with Snowball and Fast Ground. The point here is to leave yourself as many options as possible and leave open the possibility to jump on an opponent's mistake.

Seenah isn't an auto-include, but definitely one of your top options in my opinion. Jaecar is the only autopick with Zarola and Minx close behind. Zarola's ability to get set up a goal run or bear charge lets you save some momentum and delay your critical activations early in the game. Meanwhile, Minx brings so much influence efficiency and set up ability in a guild that needs lots of both. My usual six are Skatha, Fahad, Jaecar, Zarola, Minx, Seenah/oHearne/Ulfr. I use Skatha and Jaecar as my main playmakers who chase/set up take outs and hunt for goals while Zarola keeps people in position and occasionally kills the ball. Minx hangs out on the edge of the pitch and either commands enough respect to pull another player out to deal with her or hit and runs your opponent for Snare and some momentum.

My last pick is dependent on the match up. I don't want to run Seenah into guilds like Blacksmiths, Brewers, vRage Union, and other guilds who are either tough enough to withstand the charge or can just blow the bear up. But into squishier teams or grinders that don't have explosive damage, I like Seenah a lot. Even if the bear doesn't manage a take out, it demands a ton of attention and maintains the threat of accelerating through game through Bear Hug. I've actually won a coule of times because getting a take out with Bear Hug made taking out the mascot valuable :)

Ulfr is there if I need to go for more of a 2/2, 3/0 build. I generally actually leave him in the middle of the field with my team and try to get the ball on him off of a goal kick or in traffic. That way, he stays safe from enemy beaters and has much easier set up to hit someone, bounce away and then go score his goal. The more I play him, the more Lone Hunter feels like a trap. A nice buff when he does need to charge someone but generally not strong enough to let him win a 1 on 1 or even recover the ball effectively.

Meanwhile, oHearne doesn't have a ton of synergy with Skatha, but he's so much better than vHearne now as a set up model and only slightly slower. If you can get a Singled Out on a critical target, Skatha suddenly becomes a much scarier brawler. Plus, allowing Zarola to use a character play for the cost of one momentum is nothing to sneeze at.

Awesome. After only a few games, all fielding Ulfr...I would agree, lone hunter is a trap. When i try it, it is fine, but then the ramifications set in on my opponent's activation. 

oHearne is interesting. Thanks for your write  up. 

For what it's worth I don't think the idea behind Lone hunter is to make Ulfr more of a fighter. I think the design idea is so that he can go after Strikers who are either holding the ball out wide or are perhaps isolated. His playbook just isn't designed for dealing damage even at tac 6.