Sign in to follow this  
Lee

'smiths experiences so far?

haha yeah just quickly I did drop off Hunters just as errata came in and heard similar.

Yesterday was the first time I tried to go pure football with the Blacksmiths

Hearth, Farris, Ferrite and their respective apprentices and actually liked how they worked (dice excluded), Feels like I know how Shark plays now :D

Was really great to get everyone REALLY close just by walks and the odd sprint and the threat of just jumping in, snagging the ball and getting a goal is a nice feeling to have the control over. Inexperience in the playstyle threw me through a loop a tad as I probably could have been more agressive with Bolt and Farris (Ferrite and Iron I know you can be lethal with)

I am still adament I want to get Anvil and Sledge to the table. I like them, niche? yes but I still like what they can achieve.

@ForestRambo Look out of a DM or two soonish... id like to have someone to bounce Hunters thoughts off of if you're willing. Im making the switch post SteamCon to form Alchemists and focusing in on Hunters (and Blacksmiths) this year. 

Im leaving Farris and Bolt at the moment. I just cant make them work. With more practice maybe Ill sort them out and find them a home. Im playing in a local event Saturday and they will not make the list. Honestly I likely won't play anything outside of my magnificent 7, Ferrite, Iron, Furnace, Cinder, Hearth, Alloy and Cast.

Ill post up my results/thoughts afterward!

As I’ve played the Blacksmiths, I’ve won two games and lost one. Cinder has been key eveytime.

I feel like into ball teams they really shine. I played into engineers once and if you give cinder instruction, you can have a 14 inch threat to tackles ball and only need one succesful dice roll to make it happen. If you kick off you can use cinder, and still throw the ball back into play with her if the oppenet can’t get to the ball before you. I jacked the ball off someone with cinder and then smashed an engineer with iron for momentous 7. Ball teams with low health models can drop like flies, and you can ignore close control and stuff like that with some models. 

I played against brewers today and played more ball heavy, and won 12-8, with three goals. Receiving allowed iron a first turn goal with his ridiculous movement. A take out and goal was the retaliation on me . So the ball gets thrown into ferrite who takes it and then runs back to score. Then I take the ball off Hooper with a bonus time range tackle with cinder and kick it too iron and he’s already way off on the side of the pitch so he just hangs onto the ball and scores the next turn. I didn’t feel like I could fight the brewers that well, but I didn’t really have too.

I’ve pretty much always taken Hearth and Alloy, Cinder and Furnace, and Ferrite and Iron, plus the Gic that allows one extra armor if I’m knocked down. So if I’m in range of furnace who also has the one at a time you can end up with models that have 3-4 Armour sometimes and aren’t getting the hanging up bonus. Even if you have 2-3 defense, that’s still 3-4 hits negated and it’s really solid. My problem is finding where to fit the other models in.

9 hours ago, UTasteSoSo said:

@ForestRambo Look out of a DM or two soonish... id like to have someone to bounce Hunters thoughts off of if you're willing. Im making the switch post SteamCon to form Alchemists and focusing in on Hunters (and Blacksmiths) this year. 

Im leaving Farris and Bolt at the moment. I just cant make them work. With more practice maybe Ill sort them out and find them a home. Im playing in a local event Saturday and they will not make the list. Honestly I likely won't play anything outside of my magnificent 7, Ferrite, Iron, Furnace, Cinder, Hearth, Alloy and Cast.

Ill post up my results/thoughts afterward!

I'm always up for dicussing mate, throw them at me!

I have found that Bolt and Farris make my footballing team every time and don't make the cut for my 2-2 teams. The tech to get the ball off of close control models and or to KD at range is phenomenal. Also if starting within 6, getting tutelage, use it for an I'm open gives you an 18inch goal threat for 1 influence and 2 momentum. (20 inch threat for 2, 24 inch for 4.) I love the jank between these 2 models. Add in quick foot or ferrite legendary and now you are scoring from anywhere on the pitch. 

As for my 2-2 teams, I am trying to decide between the burnish fire squad with cast, and furnace, iron and hearth and alloy or some other type of mischief. Ferrite and Iron could make things more interesting in a lineup with Hearth, Alloy, Furnace, and Cast (or cinder as a 3rd goal threat). These line-up choices are really interesting for the Blacksmiths!    

Okay gents, Played in a smaller local event yesterday. Placed second overall and went 2-1 losing a crazy grinder against the eventual winner. 

Game 1 vs. Brewers (Ferrite(c), Iron, Hearth, Alloy, Furnace and Cinder) vs (Pintpot, Spigot, Hooper, Lucky, Tapper, Scum)

Opponent played a very fight list so I knew Id be scoring 3 goals in this one if at all possible. He kicked to me toward the center board. I retired with Furnace and kicked the ball around generating momentum and setting up for the last activation Alloy goal. All went exactly that way. He came into furnace with Tapper and made an effort to push him into range of spigot and pintpot. He managed to kill him after two full turns of activations. I used iron and ferrite almost exclusively to make that scrum as difficult as possible on him. Ferrite disarming tapper and crowding him out makes his INF almost useless. (My opponent now hates disarm!) After the initial goal he kicked out and retrived with spigot whom cinder promptly took the ball from and bee lined to the goal to score next turn. The scrum continued now with Hearth, and Hooper joining the fray. Agin ferrite just disarmed everyone. Eventually he took down Iron at the end of the turn but not before I took out spigot. I scored immediately that next turn making it 10-4. He kicked out grabbed the ball with scum but was too close to alloy. On my next activation alloy tackled the ball, ran for the goal and hit the tap in to win. 

Game 2 vs Masons (same line up vs Honor, Harmony, Brick, Mallet, Flint, Marbles)

This game got super grind from jump. He received and passed around top set up a first activation goal on turn 2. I flanked with Cinder to steal a momentum and since I kicked with Hearth was able to get an cheeky early charge into a poorly placed Harmony (she had retrieved the kick and was left center field. I wrapped the charge and hit the double push and KD ( I do love the old crone!) Which left Harmony in a position to take a crowd out from furnace and a charge form ferrite. wisely my opponent quick footed harmony out of range. This left me with my first mistake of just jamming ferrite into a scum with brick and the monkey. She held her own and kept it a slap fight for a number of rounds but eventually she was taken out and I don't think it really helped me move to any sort of win condition. Turn 2 my opener goes first and slams the gaol in with flint. I kick out to Iron and get a really bad scatter so rather than smashing iron into the scrum I was forced to go get the ball and pass out wide to cinder. which I promptly missed. Fortunately it scatter to mallet who did not have the range to get the ball back to either sister. The scrum continued. Now hearth jumped into help out Ferrite. (another mistake. Furnace had been holding up Harmony and Honor for some time but not make ing appreciable progress in taking either out. Just reapplying conditions and ticking damage. I should have been using his AOE and tossing into Ferrite scrum. Without the eventual crowd outs I would have lost Ferrite and ,spoiler, hearth a little later). Alloy steals the ball from Mallet and makes his was toward the goal with smashed shins to safely wait for next turn to score. Eventually ferrite drops and so does Hearth making the score 8-0 him but I have a goal in my pocket. At this point I have now noticed that the clock wasn't always moving the time back to him and we are both super low on time. I decide that If I'm gonna win it will be taking the goal last activation and playing super fast while he clocks to score as many points as I can before I close. Brick is nearly dead and Iron is likely to kill him the next activation. If all goes well Ill be 8-8 after my first activation next turn. All goes well. I play fast, he score me 3 points, I take the alloy goal and MISS! At that point I will clock in an activation or two and he now has the ball on Flint. I just shake his hand. Disappointed in my self, should not have commented Ferrite that hard that early, should have used one at a time much better, why didn't I bonus time the dame last goal?1?  I think this is a matchup that would have loved Burnish and Cast, and likely Furnace as the captain. Handing our Searing strike would have given me the edge to actually take out some of the masons. 

Game 3 vs Farmer (same line up vs Thresher, Buckwheat, Plowman, Fallow, Jackstraw, and Harrow)

This game was a bit of a grind but it was only 3rd or 4th game with Farmers so I had an advantage. I get the obligatory 1st turn allow goal and really don't let him get into me until turn two. Eventually he does and thresher kills Furnace and Buckwheat scores. I snap the goal back and Alloy scores again. 8-6... Hearth manages to tank an entire Thresher activation. I heal her both ways. He scores again. 10-8. I kick out to get the ball near alloy and where furnace has come back on but I have to survive another thresher activation. Hearth, my favorite geriatric, tanks a KD and hist her own on the return, Thresher stands and goes to town BUT with no harvest marker and no more legendary he leaves her on 1! Alloy snags the ball and hits the game winner for a 12-10 win. Could have played this one better but I was out of the running and playing a little too loose. That said I am still not very confident into famers with BS just yet. 

Overall it was a fun tourney. I learned a bit more about my new team and I think Im now like the 18th ranked BS player in the world. Which is funny with a 2-1 tourney record! lol

Would love to hear any thought or questions you might have. Also I ll be hitting Vassal hard this week!

I think BS really like to vary their line up into different opponents and vs BS or Masons (or Brewers) Burnish & Furnance come in to their own. You can circumvent the armour a bit by KDing and using Instruction from Hearth. I really like the Bolt first turn goal. I'm still trying to live the dream of a 1-2 Bolt, Alloy first turn goal. 

The other day I played the scoring team and after scoring with Bolt he kicked it out to player about 8" from the goal. I then activated Iron and with Ferrite's bonus coupled with Impetus I had a 12" run and attack on him (Ferrite had pulled him up the field) and a 1 dice 50/50 goal for 8-0 5 activations in! It was hilarious (my opponent did not think as much!). I rolled a 3 - nevermind! one more momentum and poof! :)

so I am a Butcher hunter player. Got a box of the second lot of blacksmiths last week and had my first proper hit out tonight against a very established player.

Teams were Burnish (C), Farris, Hearth, Bolt, Alloy and Cast vs Pin Vice, Mother, Hoist, Salvo, oVelocity and Decimate.

He kicked with hoist on the wing. Bolt picks up and passes back to Farris, shuffle shuffle, Farris pass to Alloy and both get to dodge 4" thanks to Hearth. Alloy hoons forwards after taking the 2" melee and picks up a couple of mom to gain an advantage. Blacksmiths go first turn 2, Decimate threatening Alloy so he charges dodges and shoots and scores. Pin vice and velocity team up to score back. Ball ends up on Burnish by a rock within range next turn. Engineers take turn 3 initiative, Salvo charges Burnish who defensive stances. Turns out 4/2 standing next to a terrain piece sucks for opponents :D, Salvo fails to do anything until his last roll which nets him a mom dodge out of burnish range, still no mom so Burnish legendaries and puts the burn out on Salvo, Decimate and Velocity (three separate aoes) and walks into goal range out of range of anyone but decimate who has one inf and is engaged by Alloy. Shuffle shuffle stuff happens Cast has 3 inf on her but engaged by pin vice. Has two swings at PV to do mom 4 damage all up and swift strike out of range has to walk through one of burnishes ring of fires and with one inf (and some crowding out from Alloy and Hearth) she rolls 7 hits on Salvo (minus one for armour) to explode him! 8-6 to the engineers. Mother heads towards goal and lays a nest. Bolt activates last to head into goal range, im opens burnish and shoots and scores!!! 10-8 Blacksmiths. Last turn was close, he brought salvo on and was able to snap the ball during his walk on. Hearth goes first and KDs both Velocity and pin vice who are ganeting up a storm in front of my goal, stuff happens, cast puts pv on 1 while she is KD and Shield glared (i think thats the -1 def -1 tac play) Alloy goes down to PV and Decimate, Burnish walks back downfield and puts 2 flame belches on Velocity (also hitting Cast and Hearth in doing so), one to trigger reanimate and one to get the TO. Smiths win 12-10. 

So I really found the team synergises well together. Even when separated from their masters the apprentices shone. I love how much the masters can contribute without really needing any influence, the 2" melee zones etc adding extra Arm of free CP's etc just felt so good. Can't wait to see if I get the other 6 for xmas...