Sign in to follow this  
Pending Forum Suspension

Not About Guild Ball

So this isn't necessarily about Guild Ball but it is happening as a direct result of my going to SteamCon.

Nearly 4 years ago I was fortunate enough to meet a really great girl who supports me in everything I do. She is coming with to Chicago but not attending SteamCon, as she is going to be doing a lot of shopping and doesn't care for miniatures. This Sunday night we are going ice skating at Millennium Park after the convention and I'm going to ask her to be my wife. I'm pretty excited and I spend more time here (to my boss's dismay) than I do with most of my friends and I consider a lot of you to be brothers and sisters in our big Guild Ball forum family.

Just thought I'd share with everyone. I'll post pictures sometime Monday morning as I am feeling pretty confident.

**Added an image, others on my friends' phones. Will put them up when I can.

Center ice was a little crowded to do it in front of everyone so I pretended my lace came undoneand when I got down to "tie it" I popped the question. Great grandma's ring. She was as happy as can be. Had great friends willing to just hang out for a bit to get pictures.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Had a great weekend.

facebook_1512396237246001.jpg

Hope it all goes to plan for you! I was quaking in my boots for the whole day building up to it, hoping the whole thing turned out how I wanted. Luckily it did, and it was an amazing evening. Iceskating is Chicago just before Christmas sounds damned romantic to me, hugely memorable. Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Cole said:

I wish you the best of all of it and good luck in not falling flat on your face. Literally. Iceskating. :D 

Ha I'm not worried about me, grew up playing hockey. She on the other hand keeps asking me to take her skating and has never been. Hopefully she isn't smiling through a broken nose haha.

I wish you all the best and hope that it is the beginning of an amazing and long lasting journey of adventure and happiness! My wife and I have been on a grand adventure for over 30 years... and she doesn't really get any of my gaming habits. :P 

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Furnace said:

it was a heroic play. 

It might have even been legen....

Wait for it...

...dary! :lol:

Congrats, @Pending Forum Suspension! Don't worry too much about it, and just embrace and enjoy the moment! :)

Edit: OMG, how did I link the wrong person... :huh:

@Pending Forum Suspension That is wonderful news, thanks for sharing and congrats! My lovely wife (who I met gaming - if we run into each other at SteamCon I'll share that story) and I have been married for 23 years - you are about to start an amazing journey together.

Now, because I'm me any kind words spoken must be tempered with some sarcastic humour. 

It's always great to hear the story of another lucky girl (like my wife) that wasn't afraid to lower her standards . . . 

;)  

Good luck with your endeavour!

PS: It is actually pretty easy. At least it was a piece of cake for me when I did that the second time.

Ha small update. She was supposed to be working tonight and while she was at work I was going to drive to my folks' place and drop off our dog and pick up my grandmother's ring. Afterward I was planning to head to her folks' house and get her dad's blessing (really more for him than for me.)

I get home for my lunch break and she says "I got the night off so I'll come with to take the dog to your parents' house." I stood there with no back up plan for that. I paused, it got really quiet then it went like this:

"No."
"No?"
"No. You can't come."
"What do you mean I can't come?"
"Umm... You just can't."
"Well why the hell not?"
"Because... I... uh... the hot wings last night gave me gas and you won't want to put up with it for an hour and a half."
*Her eyes narrow*
"You're sleeping on the couch if your stomach is that upset."

It was the best I had. Didn't know what to do. Luckily my folks are going to meet me south of town and then I'll just go to her parents' house right after so the timing isn't weird.

I asked her father, who only spoke German, first and everything went smoothly. Been married almost 38 years. Think of the memories and special times you will have. Congratulations, and have a wonderful life together.