Sign in to follow this  
tehlon

Fishermen’s Minor Guild – What are your hopes and dreams?

Howdy folks. With all the commotion surrounding minor guilds I thought it might be nice to explore what we’re all thinking about for the Fishy Affiliates?

My thought for the Guild itself would something along the lines of navigators/astronomers (which I believe have been mentioned?). There’s some nice sailing synergy there - “Set your course by the stars”. Maybe a mixed arms team focused on odds manipulation? A weather theme might also be cool. Back in my Warhammer days Lizardmen priests had “Lore of the heavens” which could do things like let you reroll 1s, shoot lightning, and even call down a comet! Maybe something along those lines would be pretty dope.

As for characters it is starting to be speculated the weaker models could receive a tune up with their minor guild update. I for one am certainly hoping Angel gets a look. Not that I believe she’s bad, but she’s just not nearly as useful as some of our other picks. I know many of you feel similar about Jac and Kraken. Siren kind of already strikes me as a having the mystique of an astral navigator.

A lot of folks like to talk about “Fish don’t do damage” but that annoys me. The one thing I am really hoping for is a decent Avarisse & Greede replacement to support Corsair’s fighting playstyle. Corsair + A&G are a pretty solid combo these days, especially post-errata nerfs. Maybe we could get a nice dual guild damage dealer to compliment that playstyle.

Anywho, What are your hopes and dreams for our minor guild? Write your letter to Santa Hearth and get the creative juices flowin!

I could see the Navigators Guild or the Carpenters Guild being thematically related to our beloved Fishes. I was thinking about the fluff though too and which models might go dual guild and I think something more surprising might be coming. 

Fluff-wise, Corsair is basically running the place like a pirate ship and the whole practice culture is more vicious than in previous years. Greyscales is dead. Siren is real grumpy. Shark and Sakana are pit fighting each other. The whole thing is a bit dark.  

I was wondering if our minor-guild will be Corsair backed and lean even more heavily into the pirate king theme, or if we will get some intrigue and maybe some higher power in the Guild will ally them to a less violent bunch.  I could see Angel being a dual guild model if its the latter. 

Since vetGraves and Bonesaw are probably the least desirable dual guild models you could get from morticians, there's some speculation that they will be getting some updating. I'm hoping  that's the case and that some of our lesser played guys go dual and get an update. It's going to be interesting for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

Since vetGraves and Bonesaw are probably the least desirable dual guild models you could get from morticians, there's some speculation that they will be getting some updating. I'm hoping  that's the case and that some of our lesser played guys go dual and get an update. It's going to be interesting for sure. 

Either that, or they purposefully selected S2 players... So Sakana and Veteran Siren could in theory be the ones we might see become dual guild (although to be fair I fail to see what Minor Guild they could end up being attached to...)

If siren goes over, I suspect kraken will too. Though I have no basis for that, I just think the deep ones would like them to stay together :P

(also, I don’t get the bonesaw hate. I like him and my usual opponent hates facing him, though neither of us is threatening top table any day soon ;) )

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Either that, or they purposefully selected S2 players... So Sakana and Veteran Siren could in theory be the ones we might see become dual guild (although to be fair I fail to see what Minor Guild they could end up being attached to...)

Yeah that could be it too. It could go a couple directions it seems. I'm also not sure how much the "Dual-guild" nature of these players is like Lucky and Compound and how much is more like they are temporarily loanable as in our current usage of Union. 

For example, Compound is very much a Enginner/Alchs mash up model, but A&G never had anything particularly in common with all of the guilds, but almost everyone could take them.  And while vetGraves seems well suited to the Ratcatchers, Bonesaw doesn't seem to fit the motif much. 

All this is to say that I think they will look to give the minor guilds models that will be used. And less about which ones fit perfectly fluff wise.

1 hour ago, Frankanelli said:

I was wondering if our minor-guild will be Corsair backed and lean even more heavily into the pirate king theme, or if we will get some intrigue and maybe some higher power in the Guild will ally them to a less violent bunch.  I could see Angel being a dual guild model if its the latter. 

I also wondered if maybe we would see pirates rather than a true "Guild." Perhaps even something that ties into the Lords of the Deep.

I also wouldn't mind something like a shipwrights guild as that seems relateable while not necessarily having to be tied to a fisherman's hip. @Banjulhu's mention of a trader's guild could be interesting, a maritime trader theme could be fun. Astronomers also seem to fit with either us or the Engineers the best and I think they are a Sherwin concoction so I'd be surprised if we didn't see the sprout up somewhere.

As a hail Mary thought I'd suggest perhaps a chef's guild. They'd fit with 4 or so other guilds and Fishermen seem to be as reasonable as the Butchers, Farmers, Brewers, or Hunters.

8 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

All this is to say that I think they will look to give the minor guilds models that will be used. And less about which ones fit perfectly fluff wise.

With the rise of team boxes, I think (hope) that Steamforged will be decent enough when selecting which Major Guild models get to play for the Minor Guild to select players that are both in the same team box (either the S1 captain's, or the S2's).

If a new player were to start a Earthworm digger's Guild team and have to buy both Fisherman's boxes because the two players that can play for the new team are Sakana and Kraken, that would definitely be a real dickhead move on Steamforged's part...

12 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

With the rise of team boxes, I think (hope) that Steamforged will be decent enough when selecting which Major Guild models get to play for the Minor Guild to select players that are both in the same team box (either the S1 captain's, or the S2's).

If a new player were to start a Earthworm digger's Guild team and have to buy both Fisherman's boxes because the two players that can play for the new team are Sakana and Kraken, that would definitely be a real dickhead move on Steamforged's part...

Given SFG seem to be building towards 12 man plastic boxes for the original teams that is probably not going to be an issue in the long term. In the short term all they have to do is maximise the milk and minimise the moo they get from the cows, if they foresee a manageable level of fuss being kicked up about cross guild players being split across two guild boxes then it will happen.

Personally I'm not sold on the idea of Navigators because their is not a lot of variation to be found to make the guild interesting the majority of the guild will be senior educated person with map reading ability or junior educated member with map reading abilities. Things like Shipwrights and Traders seem more interesting because there are many more roles thematically to have within each guild. Then again the Morts are getting a minor guild of rat catchers which is not exactly a concept steeped in variation.

Navigators is lame. I hope its not them. Beyond that given we only know ratcatchers and morts so far, we don't even know that the major/minor are professionally related, so it may not be related to boats and seafaring stuff. If it does i am hopeful for the people that make boats. 

Far more important to me is mechanics and to that say: no momentous damage. Take back the "best example of 3-0" from the blacksmiths and let them be the one that does damage with it. 

31 minutes ago, Ik-tornado said:

Take back the "best example of 3-0" from the blacksmiths and let them be the one that does damage with it. 

I have been campaigning (feel free to read that as complaining :P) for momentous damage in the Fish but if the mantle of "best example of 3-0" were to return to its rightful home then I would be more than satisfied. Some guys that debuff the enemies movement/attack or add to existing strengths would be great. Could see shipwrights bringing placeable cover/obstacles, throwing planks down for fast ground, buffing armor, or reducing attack via a rusting mechanic. Maybe a cannon?

As it stands it is somewhat frustrating to see a team that is very arguably (but not absolutely, please don't misread me) as good at scoring goals as the Fish and then also has a heap of momentous damage to boot. There is not an Apprentice without momentous damage on their playbook vs 3 Fishermen (Sakana has momentous 1 on 3 hits which is disappointing, Kraken has Release The... on 5 which is hard to reliably hit, and Corsair has a bangin' playbook that has plenty of it.)

Fishermen is the only team in the game that you can run a 6 man team and not have any momentous damage anywhere. The lists aren't even uncommon.

5 hours ago, Ik-tornado said:

Navigators is lame. I hope its not them. Beyond that given we only know ratcatchers and morts so far, we don't even know that the major/minor are professionally related, so it may not be related to boats and seafaring stuff. If it does i am hopeful for the people that make boats. 

Far more important to me is mechanics and to that say: no momentous damage. Take back the "best example of 3-0" from the blacksmiths and let them be the one that does damage with it. 

now I am going to create the most momentous damagey navigators imaginable just to spite you @Ik-tornado

I'd honestly be fine with either momentous damage or something that accelerates the goal game. I'd definitely like to see Angel and Jac get updates. Played Jac a couple of times recently and wept bitter tears when I was reminded exactly how awful his playbook is. Rookie Jac makes me optimistic though, either of those general concepts would be amazing. And while I like Angel quite a bit, she's such a niche pick and like to either see her get better in that niche or more generally relevant.

I wouldn't mind more movement/speed buffs if they insist on not giving the Fish momentous damage to replace A&G/Gutter. Or hey, maybe no momentous damage but Tooled Up or some kind of damage buff to at least make fighting feel ok in the right situation and to make Shark a little more able to reach a 2/2 win with good set up.

Theme-wise, I could see Navigators as a guild that focuses on speed buffs and creating new goal run angles. Maybe stuff like Second Wind and Quicktime. Pirates or Deep Ones Cult would probably be in between with a bit of momentous damage/combat buffs and goal-scoring support.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:01 PM, Frankanelli said:

I could see the Navigators Guild or the Carpenters Guild being thematically related to our beloved Fishes. I was thinking about the fluff though too and which models might go dual guild and I think something more surprising might be coming. 

Fluff-wise, Corsair is basically running the place like a pirate ship and the whole practice culture is more vicious than in previous years. Greyscales is dead. Siren is real grumpy. Shark and Sakana are pit fighting each other. The whole thing is a bit dark.  

Bonesaw would be a great player to have if Mist didn't exist. Once Mist becomes a non factor for Morticians I think people will find clever ways to get Bonesaw going. I find him pretty good, usually good for at least one goal a game. vGraves, I have no clue about.

As for a minor guild for Fish, I think someone that repairs the boats and nets, you need people to process the fish too, perhaps a ...Crabbers guild, a guild that go for lobsters and oysters and crabs.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:25 PM, ir0nbeard said:

Sailors 

Big burly guys. Similar brawler style like brewers. Kraken and Jac come over. Tough hide on a majority of players. 

Big burly guys, maybe whalers?

On 11/27/2017 at 2:17 PM, Selfy said:

Stop right there, me old chestnut! ;)

Ha, when you said that I immediately thought, Stop, me old china! 

On 12/8/2017 at 3:07 PM, Ragnar Rok said:

Ha, when you said that I immediately thought, Stop, me old china! 

You are correct, because 'china' comes from cockney rhyming slang, china plate - mate. However, somehow I've ended up using old chestnut, which is an entirely different thing. 

5 hours ago, Selfy said:

You are correct, because 'china' comes from cockney rhyming slang, china plate - mate. However, somehow I've ended up using old chestnut, which is an entirely different thing. 

I have a cockney friend(she's been over here for about 9 years now), she bleeds the blue of Millwall,  and she tried to teach me how to speak it. It's a lot tougher than it seems. She actually has some pretty awesome stories about pre game and after games with opposing fans, one where she was actually hit by a car by the opposing fans...lets just say American Football Fans think we're tough, but nah, in actuality we're pretty tame compared to the Football fans over there. She told me to watch Green Street Hooligans for a bit of insight.

2 hours ago, Ragnar Rok said:

lets just say American Football Fans think we're tough, but nah, in actuality we're pretty tame compared to the Football fans over there. She told me to watch Green Street Hooligans for a bit of insight.

Watch 15 seconds of shots featuring Raiders fans. It is pure ridiculousness. A lot of American Football fans are pretty mild but the ones who are loud and irritating are some the of most loud and irritating on the planet. I live in Nebraska where there is nothing to do but be a goon about college football (I like it but I'm sane.) I have a buddy that gets himself so worked up over just watching a game on television we cease to be friends on game day. If Stalin and Hitler cultivated a baby and that baby had a baby with the cultivated offspring of Mao and Trump and that 3rd generation offspring was raised by wolves and then later the Klan, it would still be easier to watch Nebraska lose a football game with that individual than with this guy I'm friends with.

Back on topic. Maybe Rope Makers (or whatever fancy made up word for that they use across the pond)? Could see snared coming to the fishermen. Maybe some kind of goofy clothes line move that can be used by drawing line of sight to another friendly model and knocking down models between them as the active model moves.

Going another way with the pirate theory (now that we know the minor guilds don't necessarily have to be guilds ala the Church) what if the minor guild is the Navy of the Free Cities? Perhaps they enlist the aid of Corsair's band of pirates to combat the new scourge of the sea Rageheart? Pirates vs Pirates. As a bargaining token the Fishermen get to enlist players from the Royal Navy's mob soccer team.

3 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Back on topic. Maybe Rope Makers (or whatever fancy made up word for that they use across the pond)? Could see snared coming to the fishermen. Maybe some kind of goofy clothes line move that can be used by drawing line of sight to another friendly model and knocking down models between them as the active model moves.

They could have amazing names for Character Plays, such as:

Pushing Rope

Thar She Blows

At Half Mast

4 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Watch 15 seconds of shots featuring Raiders fans. It is pure ridiculousness. A lot of American Football fans are pretty mild but the ones who are loud and irritating are some the of most loud and irritating on the planet. I live in Nebraska where there is nothing to do but be a goon about college football (I like it but I'm sane.) I have a buddy that gets himself so worked up over just watching a game on television we cease to be friends on game day. If Stalin and Hitler cultivated a baby and that baby had a baby with the cultivated offspring of Mao and Trump and that 3rd generation offspring was raised by wolves and then later the Klan, it would still be easier to watch Nebraska lose a football game with that individual than with this guy I'm friends with.

Going another way with the pirate theory (now that we know the minor guilds don't necessarily have to be guilds ala the Church) what if the minor guild is the Navy of the Free Cities? Perhaps they enlist the aid of Corsair's band of pirates to combat the new scourge of the sea Rageheart? Pirates vs Pirates. As a bargaining token the Fishermen get to enlist players from the Royal Navy's mob soccer team.

Hailing from Denver, I know all about Raider fans!  My wife is a Husker fan, this was tough year. I don't root for them, but plenty of diehard Husker fans are friends of mine, one even has season tickets, and lives in Loveland, CO.

I like your rope makers theory, more like netsman? I really wonder who repairs the boats for them?  I think the Navy could be a cool idea as well. 

I just hope it isn't Navigators, because I've been a booster for Astronomers for a long time - and they've been mentioned in the fluff, I don't think Navigators have - and there seems to me to be way too much overlap there. I think Astronomers fits with Engineers better, if they have to be a minor guild - though I wouldn't be against them being Fisherman related, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Siberys said:

I just hope it isn't Navigators, because I've been a booster for Astronomers for a long time - and they've been mentioned in the fluff, I don't think Navigators have - and there seems to me to be way too much overlap there. I think Astronomers fits with Engineers better, if they have to be a minor guild - though I wouldn't be against them being Fisherman related, I guess.

Part of me thinks they might tie to the alchemists - a lot of the old symbols were both planets and elements, and natural philosophy (which is what early science was called) often incorporated elements of astronomy if I remember right.

Course, there’s no guarantee the minors have such clear and obvious fluff tie ins, some may be alliances of convenience (and interesting gameplay options) :)

So fish could get navigators/cartographers, pirates, astronomers or something more tangentially related like weavers, or lumberjacks.