Sign in to follow this  
LouisvillePitch

Butcher Match Ups

Getting ready for Steamcon USA, and looking over my match ups. I know my Union choice in my 10 man switched to Gutter. Feel like she has a lot of play now into Blacksmiths and Masons. Ox/Boiler gets played as well into both Blacksmiths and Masons now as well. After that it's a mixed bag builds with Fillet as the captain. Anything anyone keeps in mind for certain match ups. (I never run Boar when Alchemists have the damn snake out, would be an example).

I played him just one time and he was really solid. What Ox fears is push or dodges, not Knockdown on counter attack.

Poor Windle got Boar*ed* in Ox's aura.

12 hours ago, SonofMars said:

I really like Ox into Grange.  He seems to be the perfect answer to there high health and healing.  I have not played him into Threasher though.

I think he should be decent. Thresher needs a lot to go his way to take Ox down in one turn, especially if Ox has time to set up with Tough Hide and Swift Stance, and if he doesn't kill Ox, he's going to find himself if a very bad place - against an Ox team it probably only takes 5 or 6 INF to take him down.

Tater is an issue, and a nightmare for Fillet, but less so for Ox. Ox himself maybe isn't a bad target to tempt him out of position with. He can move up to 6 at 3/2 or even 4/2, then if Tater doesn't fall for it, drop a butchery on him to make think twice about coming in that turn. OBrisket seems another good option, at DEF 5/1 and with a 6" range character play to hit him with if he doesn't come forward.

Not played against Thresher yet, to be fair, so that's all theory. I did alright against Grange by holding back and forcing them to play very deep towards my goal and split up the combos. Not sure that works too well vs Thresher, but spreading out so that you limit his effectiveness is a good idea.

Another idea: @Gauntlet advocates playing a 3-0 game into them. I wonder if you could build a 3-0 team out of butchers? Fillet, Princess, Boiler, Shank, Meathook and a Brisket? Put Decimate or minx in there?

Just a few thoughts for now.

Ben

Do not scrum into farmers. The 2inch reach and crowdouts will make swinging into them a terrible idea. I received and missed a pass to slingshot Ox into Tater but then tried to recover by scrum 2nd turn. Barely killed windle with ox (snackbreak on counter is gross). I would suggest fillet and a quick scoring team. 

I've had a couple of games against farmers and blacksmiths (first 6 for both), my conclusion is Captain Ox does very well into both teams. I think Ox has a better chance against thresher because he can make himself more survivable while fillet can only increase her defense by 1, and if you get into a fight with the farmers Ox helps push that damage through with his aura.

One thing I've found vs Windle is that concussion is really good. Rage or Boar can easily hit their concussion results against him, and stripping 2 INF off him makes him very manageable when he activates.

I tend to think Butchers vs Farmers can often be a case of who rolls better dice, though. Both teams are wanting to get in and kill people. Farmers want a tighter scrum, and have better striking options if they take them. Even the momentum ends up balancing out, because whilst we're probably generating more against their low DEF models, we're also having to spend it to stand up more than they are.

I'd worry about Fillet into Thresher, because she is out-ranged by him and very easy for him to kill, whereas she struggles to kill him back, and Tater's a nightmare for her, too. That said, I'm so on the Ox train at the minute I find it really difficult to see a match up that he isn't best into - maybe Morts?

When I have played Ox into Blacksmith's using Gutter-Boiler in my line up, I just rip through them without any issues. Farmers, I am just having better odds with Ox, if he gets cover plus the 4-2 set up he is pretty safe from Thresher. Thresher wants tool up and some harvest markers, which gives you the two activations you need to up his chances to live.